Canada Border Crossing Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal FJR

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I have some extra time before the Rueben Run, so I am planning to head to Canada. I have heard border crossings can be a pain. I have never crossed into Canada and would like any info anyone would like to share. I am planning on crossing the border into Canada on highway 5 and return on Hwy 3 / 395 at Laurier.

No firearms. No radar detector. No criminal record. Passport in good order. Shouldn't be a problem. I think there are more frequent hassles for Canadians (or even Americans) going the other way. Not a border requirement but check with your motorcycle insurer to see if you need to do anything for out of country.

When you say say (5) do you mean I-5? The Peace Arch can be a pain and it dumps you right in to Vancouver. I don't much like Vancouver on a MC, if it's your plan to just ride Hwy 3 pick Hwy 9 someplace above Arlington and cross at Sumas. The lines can be shorter and you can jump right on Can 1 to Hwy 3. I love that ride on the Crowsnest!

Last edited by a moderator:
Never had a problem going into Canada on wheels or on water. I did have a bit to much alcohol on the boat one time but they were kind and didn't charge me duty. Returning to the states was another story. I've been hassled more than a few times. I don't know why but anymore I just expect it. My radar detector was never a problem but they are real serious about the firearm thing. Long guns used to be ok but don't know about now.

No firearms. No radar detector. No criminal record. Passport in good order. Shouldn't be a problem. I think there are more frequent hassles for Canadians (or even Americans) going the other way. Not a border requirement but check with your motorcycle insurer to see if you need to do anything for out of country.

When you say say (5) do you mean I-5? The Peace Arch can be a pain and it dumps you right in to Vancouver. I don't much like Vancouver on a MC, if it's your plan to just ride Hwy 3 pick Hwy 9 someplace above Arlington and cross at Sumas. The lines can be shorter and you can jump right on Can 1 to Hwy 3. I love that ride on the Crowsnest!
RossKean, thanks I hadn't even thought about insurance. I will check with my carrier.

Panman based on your suggestion I altered my route to cross at Sumas and thinking about spending the night in Abbotsford.

I have done that border crossing without any issues. Much less busy than Vancouver. Radar detectors are legal in western Canada so you should be OK in BC, Alberta and Sask. They could be confiscated further east. Not legal to have - whether or not you are using it.

Good choice altering your plans and crossing at Sumas Rich. Consider taking WA 9 north of Arlington as it's filled with nice views and corners and much less traffic than I-5.

Enjoy the ride!

How far in advance are you coming up?

--G

We crossed over and back in Sumas, didnt have any issues, and one of us had an expired passport.

No firearms, had to leave them at home.

I've lived in Canada twice and ridden in and out dozens of times. Radar detectors are okay in Alberta and BC. At the border (going either way) just answer the border agent's questions, no humor and no extra info. They often know the answer to the questions they ask. Criminal convictions can keep you out of Canada; even an old DUI.... they share records with the US. Turn the data roaming off on your phone. It can get very expensive very quickly unless you make arrangements with your carrier in advance. In some Provinces speeding (20 km, thanks sapest for the correction) 40Km over the limit can get you impounded (BC for example); their country, their rules so behave. No hand guns. Never been asked to show driver's license or insurance documentation at the border, but I've never been stopped by the RCMP while in Canada.

Excessive speeding in BC, where your vehicle will be impounded, is 40/km per hour over the posted limit.

BAL of .08 or more will also get a LEO's attention.

If you use/carry prescription drugs, they need to be in the original container, and the name must match your ID.

You will not be asked to show proof of insurance at the border (or for your DL) but if you are in an accident, the police will most likely ask for both.

Helmets required everywhere, unless you are Sikh.

Enjoy your trip, and dont forget fuel is sold in litres, and your dollar is worth about C$1.20.

The Best Western at Abbotsford is nice. Basic breakfast, but very nice rooms.

Liquor store right across the street from the hotel, which pretty much became a theme.

Good choice altering your plans and crossing at Sumas Rich. Consider taking WA 9 north of Arlington as it's filled with nice views and corners and much less traffic than I-5.
Enjoy the ride!

How far in advance are you coming up?

--G
I am planning on leaving on the Tuesday or Wednesday before. I plan to make the border in one day.

Thanks for all the advice. I checked my insurance and I am covered. The way I way I understand it is no firearms, no radar detector to be safe, no speeding, and passport in order. O yea, there is a liquor store across from the Best Western.

Wait a minute, I can't mix alcohol, speeding, and firearms. Why I am going then? - JK

I ride a loop going over the North Cascades Hwy then cross at Nighthawk and take the 3 - 1 back to Sumas almost every year in late September or early October. It's a great autumn foliage ride!

I like using the duty free place coming back into Washington, no so much for the cheap booze but a lot of times there is a two or three mile back up so I ride the shoulder buy my jug and get back in line ten cars back from the crossing. I know, cheating but it's a real time saver. :) Something for you IB guys to consider.

I just crossed the border 2 weeks ago heading back into the US after a quick ride across western CA. Ironically I always find it more stressful crossing back into the US than crossing into CA. As mentioned, just do the 'yes' or 'no' answers to Q's on either side of the border, they don't like small talk. I had a run where 3x in a row had my bags searched coming into the US in WA state a few years ago but last several years no issues. I usually go into CA 2-3 times/year. As you sit in line just get your Passport handy, take off your helmet, remove sunglasses, easy peasy.

I crossed at the US 537/ CA 13 here: https://www.google.com/maps/@49.00257,-122.4877962,16z?hl=en

It was about 15 min on a saturday morning. The north ID and MT crossings are great where many times you are the only vehicle pulling up
smile.png

I rode to Alaska a couple times and criss crossed in and out of Canada many times. Here are some answers that WILL get you searched. Do you have any weapons? NO. Good answer. Do you have any ammunition? If I do not have weapons, why would I have ammo. Bad answer. How do you expect to defend yourself? I did not realize Canadians were that violent. Bad Answer. Crossing at shift change time is also not always a good idea. Spud said it best, answer with a yes or no answer as they really do not like small talk. In fact they all seem to look constipated and never in a good mood. I guess it is their job.