Canadian Superbike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR
Reaction score
"YZF-R1 Models No Longer Approved for Pro Superbike Feature

Toronto, ON – Among the agenda items for today’s meeting of the Parts Canada Superbike Championship Road Race Management Group was an explanation regarding the status of Yamaha models in the 2010 National Championship. With the opening day of the winter Canadian Motorcycle Show season slated for the downtown Toronto Convention Centre this Friday, December 11, series organizers considered it essential to immediately clarify the rules for next season.

In November, Yamaha Canada announced that they were withdrawing from the National tour, both in terms of series support and rider/team involvement. Previously, the six major manufacturers directly involved in the Parts Canada Superbike Championship contributed equally to the series structure, including support of the television broadcast package.

At the meeting, the following items were specified for the 2010 Parts Canada Superbike Championship:

1. No 2010, new model OE Yamahas will be allowed to participate in any of the series classes;

2. The 1000cc Yamaha YZF-R1 model, in all years of production, will not be allowed to compete in the Pro Superbike class. No such restrictions will apply to existing 600cc YZF-R6 models.

“Our biggest concern is the privateer or club level racer with existing Yamaha equipment,” confirmed Colin Fraser of the series organizers, Professional Motorsports Productions. “The vast majority of Yamaha riders utilize 600s, and we agreed that it was in everyone’s best interests to allow these existing machines to continue to compete.”

Organizers added that they plan, and look forward to, reinstating Yamaha in the Feature category when the manufacturer is able to return to participate in the Parts Canada Superbike Championship Series.

Teen-aged sensation Jodi Christie earned the 2008 Armour Bodies Amateur 600 Sport Bike National Championship aboard a Yamaha YZF-R6. Linnley Clarke and Pascal Picotte took Yoshimura Pro 600 Sport Bike crowns aboard Yamaha 600cc production bikes."

What the hell is this all about?

Canadian FJR

Retaliation? No privateer Yammy bikes until the factory returns? They don't want participating factories (possibly) getting beaten by a non-participant's bikes? No cross-plane cranks allowed?

Retaliation? No privateer Yammy bikes until the factory returns?
The participating manufacturers pay to run their bikes in the series and get the exposure. Yamaha Canada pulled out citing the "economic climate" so would it be fair for Yamaha to cash in on any privateer success? Racing at that level is, after all, a bussiness.

slo.

"would it be fair for Yamaha to cash in on any privateer success?" If I bought a new R-1 in 2009 to run in the '09 series with plans to continue into the 2010 I would be extremely upset. A privateer should not be punished simply because the manufacture is unable/unwilling to participate. The whole thing just disapoints me. I would love to hear Mike-H's comments on this one.

Canadian FJR

This is *strictly* retaliation. :glare:

While it is a business, the reasons for denying Superbike privateers to run the machine of their choice is specious at best. What the management group of Parts Canada Superbike Championship is effectively doing is denying Canadian race fans the opportunity for more exciting, close racing by having more marques in the series. Pity.

I wonder if they hold the same restrictions if a privateer wanted to run, say, a Bimota or Aprilia?

All that having been said, I think this series on holds a whopping 6 races all year, so.... in this recession climate, perhaps Yamaha did a Cost Analysis study and decided it wasn't worth it, who knows....
shrug.gif

It sucks either way....

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote I wonder if they hold the same restrictions if a privateer wanted to run, say, a Bimota or Aprilia?

It sucks either way....

Yes they would and in fact they they banned Ducati for the same reason a few seasons ago.

And yes it sucks.

slo.

"I think this series on holds a whopping 6 races all year" Seven to be exact.

2010 Parts Canada Superbike Championship Schedule

Round One May 28-30 Circuit ICAR Mirabel, Que.

Round Two June 24-27 Race City Motorsport Park Calgary, Alta.

Round Three June 24-27 Race City Motorsport Park Calgary, Alta.

Round Four July 8-11 Mosport International Raceway Bowmanville, Ont.

Round Five July 8-11 Mosport International Raceway Bowmanville, Ont.

Round Six Aug. 5-8 Atlantic Motorsport Park Shubenacadie, N.S.

Round Seven Aug. 5-8 Atlantic Motorsport Park Shubenacadie, N.S.

Canadian FJR

Six, seven - whatever. He's just showing how much we care . . . . . :p

After our AMA/DMG fiasco it's hard to worry about somebody else's rules problems!!!

Last edited by a moderator: