Canadien Express

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesW

JamesW
Reaction score
Well here comes a quick synopsis of my 4dayer. Got back a few days ago and full of vim to relate then found out about the Beemer reamer and wifes misfortune and all the ardor went away. Been following that the last few days in the ride section. Glad to see things are on the upswing with better days ahead. Sooo left on a Mon. morn, over Snoq. to breakfast in Ellensburg, proceeded around Yakima, very boring stretch, to hwy 97 down to Goldendale, stretch break and topped up the tanks. Riding partner has a VFR800 with a 5ish gallon tank and we do not trust Oregon backcountry for gas stations. We went across the river into Ore. and thru Biggs turning off 97(which is a great ticket gatherer IMHO) on to 206 thru Wasco and on to Condon, now this is a very nice stretch, highly recommended. A few MILES before condon I began picking up Ka band radar, it kind of came and went as we went up and down the rolling terrain, rolling in to condon there was a sheriffs pickup parked off to the side of the road facing the direction of travel of those of us entering town, the LEO was out on the grass drinking lemonade(?) and chatting with friends. Later Ken stated that was foolish as how could the guy monitor speeders, I explained to him that some radars also have a tonal pitch that goes along with(and corresponds to)the readout so all the guy had to do was keep an ear out. Kind of like watching the bobber when fishing. Another nice section(on 19) to fossil, where George had assured me there was gas, Fossils main drag is off 19 and worth the looksee, short street but all Americana rustic. Followed 19 through the John day area and on to 7 which took us into Baker city for the night, nice riding road, scenery a little bleak at times. Second day was across 86 to Hells canyon, a very nice ride early in the AM, did not have time this trip for the 30mile one way deadend road to the last dam, have done it in the past and it is a goody. There are forest rats in surprising spots, deer have to be one of the dumbest critters on Gods green earth, continuous scanning but you still do not know where the hell it is going to go. Enjoyable section of riding hwy 71 up into Idaho, by the canyon the road is somewhat narrowish and oncoming can be towing big boats, not to mention coming around the corner to find Mom,Dad and the kids with the truck and trailer stopped in the middle of the road while they all looked at Bambi. Nice ride break at the intersection 95 and 55 (new meadows) food and gas available. Headed N on 95 to Grangeville. Miles of this road parallel a river and lots of slow speeds due to congestion and little towns that are like stripmails, eventually they all go buy and it is some pretty riding. Grangeville to Kooskia on highway 13 was a cool twisty road and would have been a much nicer ride without the seasonal roadwork going on, lots of flaggers, but scenic. From Kooskia it was the Lochsa river and lolo pass and on into Missoula. Riding this kind of road trip I would like to mention being always attentive, beware of oncoming, and to me a top line radar detector is a must. We went N. out of Missoula on 93 to Kalispell where we spent the second night, lots of beautiful mountain views along with the flathead lake. Forgot just what a bitch the sun is on your lefthand side the last half of the lake into town, especially if you are a bit roadweary. I think the last two days of the trip will have to wait a bit, my back is sore and H&P typing is very tedious. Dave and Colleen, my best wishes and hope some of this was of interest and maybe tickled a memory.