Cancelled for Now-Upstate SC ride then eat, Sunday April 17th, 7:45am, 178 & 11

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
You've been askin for it...so now it's here.

When: Sunday, April 17...Meet at 7:45am @ gas station, KSU-8am (Gas tanks full)

Where: 178 & 11

Who: FJR riders (spouses invited)

Where: Up into NC, meandering towards Saluda, then back to my humble abode in Travelers Rest for some dogs and burgers.

Why: To ride with fellow FJR riders and have some grub afterwards...nothing fancy, very informal...it's just us, we ain't kiddin nobody.

So there it is...an announcement. No need to bring anything..maybe a buck or two to pay for meat.

Just a word or two...I don't really "know" you guys yet, so I won't be serving beer during this go round for the sake of my wife and very close neighbors. I may rethink this in the future as I love a beer as much as the next guy, but for this time that's the deal. I love a beer, after I'm at my destination and out of my riding clothes.

Regarding group riding: I'm sometimes a squiddly rider. I sometimes pass on the double yellow when it's safe to do so and legal. Everybody rides a different pace...ride no one's pace But Your Own. Let the faster riders filter towards the front, move to the right, wave them on by and let them go. Do not be rude and hold someone else up. Let this be a fun ride for everybody. In that same vein, do not ride above your limits, and crash. That's no fun for anybody, least of all you. This spoken from a previous crashee...

We will wait at all the turns, but do not feel the need to keep the person behind you in your mirror. You may if you wish, but you are riding your own ride, and they are riding theirs. We will wait for all riders at the turns and go back for those that don't show...so don't drop out without telling me or someone else verbally before the ride where you will leave the group.

If you are ahead of me and get a ticket, I do not know you, and will ride right past you and wait for you at the next turn...and you do the same for me.

By showing up at this event, you agree to these few minor "rules".

If these rules are bogus in your mind, please feel free to not show up, post up your own ride and with your own "ground rules".

With all that craaap out of the way, post up if yer gonna be there at the meeting place...and I will add you to the "list".

Riders

Mark/wheaton

Duane/1911

Last edited by a moderator:
IN
punk.gif

IN!! Just beating Hud to the punch! LOL. As far as the rules....Challenge accepted!! As far as getting pulled over......I'll keep going if you want me to but I could probably help you out with that ticket!! Just sayin! Lol As far as the Spouse; she is nursing a broken foot at the moment but she said she is a maybe....either riding her own ride or passenger....all depends of the foot. Attempting squiddly maneuvers would be greatly reduced either way though.....LOL....Otherwise Sounds great, thanks for putting this together Wheaton!!

In. (Confound you, ericboutin! Now I have to post in a normal-sized font.)

I ride like a Grandma and volunteer to ride sweep. I have read, understand, and agree to abide by the rules, and hereby electronically sign the waiver.

But 7:45 am?!?! Jeez, I'll have to get up at 3:30 or sumpthin.

Those that don't want to ride early can always just meet up at my place and ride the roads at a time of their own choosing.

I may have Louanne along, which would slow me down ...so, although I am volunteering to lead and not follow, I have no problem with others passing me if they know the roads, the route, and are willing to wait at the turns.

I'm out, 'preciate you putting it together tho. Maybe next time.

I'm out this time due to a family cookout that day along with having birthday festivities for a wife a niece and a son in law all the same day .. yea my wallet is screaming for mercy lol. However hopefully this is just the first of several and hope to make next one.

I'm out this time due to a family cookout that day along with having birthday festivities for a wife a niece and a son in law all the same day .. yea my wallet is screaming for mercy lol. However hopefully this is just the first of several and hope to make next one.
Okay Walter, see you next time...

I hope there are more...If other people post them up there will be.

In. (Confound you, ericboutin! Now I have to post in a normal-sized font.)
I ride like a Grandma and volunteer to ride sweep. I have read, understand, and agree to abide by the rules, and hereby electronically sign the waiver.

But 7:45 am?!?! Jeez, I'll have to get up at 3:30 or sumpthin.
No need to ride sweep Hud. Everybody will ride their own ride so we can all have fun. We will wait at the turns for everybody.

Looks like I won't be able to make it. I misread the date as Saturday instead of Sunday. Can't do a Sunday meet that early. Maybe next time.

Mark, my nephew and I will be headed east on Sunday the 17th from Tellico Plains across the Cherohala, Wayah road, then 28/64 down to Highlands then hit some of the gaps where you guys will be that morning. I'm sure we will be through that area much later than you, but on the off chance you see an 07 followed by a tall guy on a Super Tenere, be sure to wave. I would have liked to have tried to work it out to meet you guys, but that would have probably intimidated my nephew who is still getting used to riding street instead of dirt bikes. Maybe some other time.

If we do see you, just don't make fun of my rear tire.

- Paul

Mark, my nephew and I will be headed east on Sunday the 17th from Tellico Plains across the Cherohala, Wayah road, then 28/64 down to Highlands then hit some of the gaps where you guys will be that morning. I'm sure we will be through that area much later than you, but on the off chance you see an 07 followed by a tall guy on a Super Tenere, be sure to wave. I would have liked to have tried to work it out to meet you guys, but that would have probably intimidated my nephew who is still getting used to riding street instead of dirt bikes. Maybe some other time.
If we do see you, just don't make fun of my rear tire.

- Paul
BTW, If you and your nephew wanna stop in for a burger or dog, let me know and I will put some on the grill for you...

bump...

When: Sunday, April 17...Meet at 7:45am @ gas station, KSU-8am (Gas tanks full)

Where: 178 & 11

Who: FJR riders (spouses invited)

Where: Up into NC, meandering towards Saluda, then back to my humble abode in Travelers Rest for some dogs and burgers.

Why: To ride with fellow FJR riders and have some grub afterwards...nothing fancy, very informal...it's just us, we ain't kiddin nobody.

So there it is...an announcement. No need to bring anything..maybe a buck or two to pay for meat.

Well, I have a little GDB file of the route made from a gpx exported from S&T. For those that have signed up for the ride, send me a PM with your email addy and I will email the GDB file to you.

I have looked at the GDB file in Mapsource and it looks fine in there except for one thing...when we get off the BRP, we WILL be heading SOUTH and taking a left on 276, not taking a right and doing a U-turn like the GDB wants you to do.

(If you want to fix that and to turn the viapoints into waypoints, have at it.)

A couple other notes:

• We will stop at an overlook somewhere on the BRP
  • We will stop at the gas station once we exit US 25 for a bio-break.
  • After we head down on 176 from Saluda, there will be an optional chance to turn around and run up the hill and down the hill on 176 if people want and traffic is light. (It will be around 11am there on a Saturday so I am not thinking it will be a good time to rerun that section, but who knows?)
  • The connector road from Crab Creek Rd to Pinnacle Mtn road is a "private" road. There is a possibility that the gate may locked at the top as we get to Pinnacle Mtn Rd. If it is, the backup plan is to head back down the hill to Crab Creek Rd, turn right and head down the road to take a right on Little River Rd, then take a right on Greenville Hwy to get back on our route. I've been on this private rd twice and both times it was open. However, the last time was over a year ago, so who knows.
  • The route ends roughly noontime at our house...I expect with breaks it will be between noontime and 1pm...so bring water and snack bars or fruit to have at the two breaks mentioned so you will have enough sugar in your system to be able to concentrate during this ride.
  • There are a few places where we will stop as a group at a stop sign and proceed. I will pull out when it is safe for ME to do so. I expect you to wait and do the same when it is YOUR turn to proceed. I will proceed slowly until I see all headlights in the group behind me.
  • We have such great riding machines it is easy to really wick it up. Please ride within YOUR limits, not somebody elses. This is just supposed to be a fun short little group ride and burger/dog fest. We don't need anymore asshats out there besides me.
  • Lastly, the gas station at the meet up spot has a oneholer bathroom...be aware you might have to wait for a little bit there. It is a REALLY SMALL room at that.
See all y'all there a week from tomorrow.