Can't afford 2 new or new to me bikes need help deciding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izrock

Reaction score
Let me first give you some background on me - I am new to the forum but have been riding street bikes for 25 years. All of these years on Yamahas. I have only owned 3 motorcycles over this period - 1983 Maxim 750 wrecked by a college friend, 1983 Midnight Maxim 750 which I rode to Key West and LA among many other places and my current ride 1989 Venture Royale on which I have earned both a SS1000 and a BBG1500. I am going through my midlife crisis or so says my wife and I am looking for a new or newer bike. I have narrowed it down to a FJR1300 with ABS or a Kawasaki Versys. I have ridden both bikes and would love to have them both but due to a lack of funds I can only purchase one. I have lately been leaning toward the Versys because of the somewhat lower cost vs a '04 or'05 FJR but I am seeing now that the difference in cost is not that great. My primary concern about the FJR is also one of the things I like most about it -- how fast it is. My friends and family say I like to drive fast no matter what I am driving. Which leads me to my main question - all you FJR riders has the power and speed seduced you like the gorgeous blonde at the bar while you are out of town on a business trip and gotten you into major trouble or are you able to control it? My thought is the Versys is less likely to get me into trouble.

The FJR is plenty fast, but not stupid fast like my ZX14. It's easy to keep at the speed limit but equally able to open up to triple digits.

I think you'll like the touring ability of th FJR since you already have some distance rides in you.

The FJR is just like any other big-bore 4-cylinder with 120+ hp. Will it seduce you...yes, but in the end it is up to the rider, and only the rider. As Texan noted, it's not stupid fast like a 'busa, 14, or the liter bikes but... the ol fat girl will still move down the road quite nicely. All in all, it's no more difficult to control than any other big-bore.

Good luck with the decision!

--G

I spent 13 years on an '84 Venture Royal. Buy the FJR and don't look back B) If you can get a '06 or newer, you won't have the heat issues of the Gen 1's. Not that the gen 1's can't be fixed. I've cruised the Canadian Rockies at a buck 45, sustained (a closed course section of course :p ) The FJR is plenty fast enough to get you in serious trouble.

Just adding my .02

I have an FJR and a KLR, have had them both together for 3 years now. I have looked at a Versys, and from a certain point of view, it can be looked at through a dual-sport lens. for purposes of this opinion, I would equate your choice to be the same as if I had to give up one of mine. If I had to, which one would stay?

Let's just put it this way, the KLR gets ridden 90% of the time anymore.

Shane

Take a look at the number of FJR's vs Versys's entered in this years Iron Butt and then make your decision. That might tell you how serious riders veiw the two.

Coming off the Venture I would think you would be leaning toward the touring end. As for the cost difference, as long as you seem to keep your ride I wouldn't let price play much of a part in your decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate the responses....I am most curious about your response Shane. You say the KLR gets ridden 90% of the time does that mean the FJR is sitting the majority of the time? Why?

A little bit more about the style riding I prefer. Just got back from a blast down and back to Wrightsville Beach from Raleigh with my son on his Ninja 500. We rode 2 lanes all the way down early this AM and came back on the slab about an hour ago and as my son just mentioned we traveled at roughly the same speed (between 70-80) on both roads. I prefer the back roads for most trips and only ride the super slab when necessary.

Thanks again!

Izrock

I appreciate the responses....I am most curious about your response Shane. You say the KLR gets ridden 90% of the time does that mean the FJR is sitting the majority of the time? Why?
A little bit more about the style riding I prefer. Just got back from a blast down and back to Wrightsville Beach from Raleigh with my son on his Ninja 500. We rode 2 lanes all the way down early this AM and came back on the slab about an hour ago and as my son just mentioned we traveled at roughly the same speed (between 70-80) on both roads. I prefer the back roads for most trips and only ride the super slab when necessary.

Thanks again!

Izrock
It's not that I don't love the FJR, it's that the KLR is the one that fits the situation most of the time.

If I did rallies like I used to, then the FJR would see more saddle time. As it is now, most of my riding is in commuting and bombing around little-used country roads for up to several days at a time. If I really have to get somewhere far and fast, it's the FJR, particularly if the Wife is along.

KLR--plenty of luggage capacity, simple machine, great mileage, ugly enough to not be messed with when parked, and really tall--just "easier" for everyday use. It also has an aftermarket that won't quit. With the 685 big bore, any (reasonably assertive) desired traveling speed is possible, particularly on tight roads. But for really fast high-speed work, there are much better machines.

They are fantastic garage mates, but if I could only have one...........and I never thought I would have had this opinion 4 years ago.

Thanks for asking,

Shane