Caps For Heated Grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierrarider

Reaction score
I have an 04 FJR with factory heated grips. I have lost one of the end caps and my local dealer doesn't have a clue where I can get a replacement. Will end caps from a newer model work? Or is there another option?

Can't quite picture an 'end cap' unless your referring to the bar end weights. If it is a bar end weight you're looking for, you can find them on line or directly through the dealer. Check out item #5 from Cycle Parts Warehouse. Stock is $9 from link or many folks buy aftermarket heavy bar ends.

--G

Nor did '04's have factory heated anything. They likely are optionally installed grips...possibly from Gen 2 bikes.

Thank you to everyone who has offered their assistance. However, I now understand why my local dealer (not where I purchased the bike) has not been able to help me. I believe heated grips were offered as a dealer add-on in 04’. I do recall having to wait for the bike while they finished the install. The grips I have on my bike are operated by a controller located just above the left side brake reservoir. See this article written in November of 04 about moving the location of the controller. https://www.fjr1300.info/howto/yamgrips.html.

Now back to the missing cap. The caps just snap into the end of the grip, no screws. I did try bar end weights but the hole for the weights to screw into isn’t recessed enough and the weights hang out about a 3/8" from the end of the grip and look silly. I will continue to research this. I’m heading to Reno /Carson City tomorrow and will stop at several Yamaha shops in that area and see what they say. Maybe someone will know who the company was that made those grips.

Thanks again.

I lost the left one on my 04 as well. Went to Ace hardware and found some round, black plastic circles, cut one down, snapped it in place-fell out in a heartbeat. Made another, gooped it in-same result. Will make another and hold it in with a bolt. Ian, Iowa

The bar ends were indeed part of the option, not actually stock. I got a set for a Gen1 once in Daytona at the m/c accessory store. Sorry that I don't remember the size, but they are out there. By memory they were for something like an early R1 but age & CRS suck...

If nobody has the info right off, you might try measuring what you need in metric and then Google for bar end options.

Here they are! https://japan.webike.net/products/1512931.html the exact grips with those little end caps. But I'm not going to spend 16,000 yen just to get the caps. There must be a way to find out where/who manufactures them and has a box full of caps. I'd be willing to buy 6 or 8 pairs of end caps and sell to others here in States for cost+shipping if I knew where to order them. I'm going to print the photo and see if I can find a Yamaha dealer the might have more information on them.

I just sent japan.webike an email to see if they can provide any additional information for me on the grips. I'll let everyone know if I hear back. If or when they do or do not respond may give some insight into the customer service aspect of this company and if ordering from them is a good idea.

Good luck with that.

The site is a reseller of various bits and you asked about one part in a package of stuff that Yamaha sells as a kit.

It might be that the instructions supplied with the kit reference various Yamaha part numbers for the components - you'd need to check out the paperwork.

And, the grip kit would properly called 'OEM' because they are sold by the Original Equipment Manufacturer. And they are indeed a dealer installed option - of course you can also install it yourself.

Last edited by a moderator: