Carb GACK

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
I have lots of bikes with good ol' fashioned carbs. Some bikes don't, ahem, get ridden all that often so I:
* add fresh fuel and SeaFoam, top tank off
* run carb(s) dry, even the choke circuit

I've never had issues until now. 1978 DT125E. Never seen carb GACK like this. Seen varnish, green fungus, but never white milky paste that's corrosive too.

Any ideas, oh great gear head wrenches?

Well me thinks the Ethanol collets water, the white stuff looks like corrosion from water. Did you smell a varnish smell? I remember barley someplace in that little mind of mine the little outboards that had the built in tanks that had mix left it them turned to varnish ( At least thats what dad called it) and looked like that discoloration you have around the gaskets and were a bitch to get clean and running right.
A couple of the local old time Stihl shops have lots of little jars sitting around with gas separated from water that the home owner buys two gallons of fuel at the local AM PM and only use a half gallon a year. They tell me that the Ethanol separates the oil from the fuel and they have lots of parts saw because they stick the pistons.
I'm not sure the BrakeKleen will do the trick.