Carrying Pillion on the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadDogMcQ

Reaction score
Yesterday was a lovely sunny, dry day - perfect for biking and so I decided to get the FJR out of the garage and spend the day riding. The wife asked if she could come and of course I said yeah, sure!!

BIG MISTAKE!! The ride was totally ruined by that added weight and the raised centre of gravity. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying she's a big girl (I'm not saying she's not either :rolleyes: ) but it seems to me that adding weight to this already heavy bike makes it totally lose its edge and fun. Years ago, pillions were at the same seat height as the rider and they didn't seem to have hardly any effect on things, but todays bikes insist on making them look like a circus act, with the seat up in the air.

Sue's not a bad pillion, but a bit of twiching around at traffic lights made the bike feel very unsteady, although my short legs don't do anything to give confidence. Worst of all though, Sue wouldn't let me have any speed-fun with her on the back. I might as well have gone out in the car!!

I'm gonna buy me a rear seat cowl!!

Yesterday was a lovely sunny, dry day - perfect for biking and so I decided to get the FJR out of the garage and spend the day riding. The wife asked if she could come and of course I said yeah, sure!!
BIG MISTAKE!! The ride was totally ruined by that added weight and the raised centre of gravity. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying she's a big girl (I'm not saying she's not either :rolleyes: ) but it seems to me that adding weight to this already heavy bike makes it totally lose its edge and fun. Years ago, pillions were at the same seat height as the rider and they didn't seem to have hardly any effect on things, but todays bikes insist on making them look like a circus act, with the seat up in the air.

Sue's not a bad pillion, but a bit of twiching around at traffic lights made the bike feel very unsteady, although my short legs don't do anything to give confidence. Worst of all though, Sue wouldn't let me have any speed-fun with her on the back. I might as well have gone out in the car!!

I'm gonna buy me a rear seat cowl!!

I think you have mistaken. This bike is great two up, and the only reason I bought it. I do not have your short leg problem, but I do know of the twitching around traffic lights. The first few times we went out together, my wife thought when I was slowing down for lights was the time that she could do her adjustments. I quickly explained to her that I need to stop before she decides to stretch and move all around. With 100FtLbs of torque, I don't care how big your pillon is this bike is still going to move quick. Of course not as fast w/o one though. I'm guessing you can't move the seat to the up position, but once it's there both riders are at about the same height. No where near the difference that a normal sport bike has. I think you need to head on out and try again. This time explain to your wife when and when not to move, and all other things that you need tweaking on. Good luck and have fun.

Eric

The bike does handle rather pigishly on the stock suspension. Make sure you set your rear to HARD or better yet upgrade to better shocks. Also, set your front suspension as well and it will be better. Check for proper air pressure as well.

I am 230+/- and the wife is 150 +/- which puts us some place close GalaxyBlue's weight :lol: and he rides fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get an intercom system. It makes the ride very enjoyable while 2-up. Then it is easy to coach your pillon exactly how to ride with you. With improved tecnique, also with suspension adjustments as noted above, their weight can become near invisable to you.

You need a second bike so can enjoy riding with your wife without carrying a pillion.

I don't know what your complaining about. I've found the FJR to be a great bike to ride with a passenger.

If you want to ride solo that's fine but just dont blame the bike for it.

I'm in about the same weight class as Fencer with pillion and we've taken a couple decent rides. QuickSilver is pretty damn quick 2-up, and his wife enjoys the thrill more than mine when it comes to shifting into sport mode.

Overall though the experience is in direct proportion to your pillions ability to be a good pillion, lean with you, not twitch at the wrong time and what not.

It's a good overall two-up bike.

Come ride the ZX-11 two up, it will change your perspective. Every time you touch the brakes the passenger smashes you and you're jewels on the tank. They have no leg room, and just about slide off the back even with a good seat at the littlest bit of throttle action.

I have ridden several people on my bike. I'm not in sport mode at that point, though... mostly just enjoying the company of having someone to share my passion with.

It sounds to me that, instead of complaining you might consider spending 10% of your time to identify the problem & 90% of your time solving it if you want to continue riding w/ your girl. Since you posted about it, you may be looking to solve?

There are many people who enjoy 2-up on this particular bike. Maybe beinging happy that your wife wants to ride w/ you could solve part of your problem? There are a lot of SO's of people on this forum who won't ride at all. Maybe, considering yourself very fortunate would help?

If I felt as you, I'd probably be looking into suspension upgrades, etc. There are quite a few good suggestions here.

I hope all works out well for you & either a seat cowl, or something else makes you happy.

Heidi

This time explain to your wife when and when not to move, and all other things that you need...Eric
Hahahahaaa, why don't YOU try tellin my wife when and when not to move :yahoo:

Sorry, I think I may have mis-communicated. I'm not criticising the bike per se, but I am saying that riding with pillion totally sucks compared to the fun of riding solo. I don't doubt for a minute that the Feejer is one of the best two-up, but my wife will not permit fast, sporty riding when she's on the back, so I'm faced with riding sedately on a heavy bike with a nervous passenger and no reward for doing it all.

From now on, I'm a solo rider. I don't use bikes for transport - I use em for fun. :)

I weigh in at a small 275, My Pillion is about 140. She is a VERY good passenger and I dont even notice her there. You wife would eventually get used to riding with you. I remember when I first started riding what scared me then I dont even think about now.

Oh, My suspension is adjusted. WORLD of difference. But be patient with her. Earn her trust, The rewards are great

Also

Comms help alot YMMV

My wife and I exceed mamayama's recommended weight (she feeds me too often) and we have covered over 2000 miles in a week. We plan to go to wfo together at a more leisurely pace though. Every thing you have said is true, it does change the dynamics of the bike and the overall feel. However I enjoy the trade off. She really enjoys seeing things on the left side of the road without looking at my ugly mug :)

Guess I'm getting old..Wife is on the back 90% of the time and really doesn't slow me down :blink:

Now if I could find a screen that would shield her more and I could go a little faster :yahoo: and live with the looks I'd be happer.

Cary

I'm two-up 90 percent of the time. Marilyn understands a lot about motorcycle control. She never does anything unexpected, or signals before she makes any move. I would suggest you get used to her on the back and eventually she will get the hang of it, and will come to trust your (and the machine's) abilities and capabilities more, so will become more comfortable as you increasingly, incrementally, introduce her to sport mode. Do respect her valid fears, though.

I find it is not difficult as long as i let them know what my expectations are prior to taking off, besides i do not have anyone that often! :0)

Your bike ,your rules. That's what I told my wife loooong ago, after she refused to wear ANY gear. Just remember, if you go down because she doesn't listen, it's gonna be your fault according to her. Damned if you do, damned if you don't? I'd rather be in trouble w/ my wife BEFORE injuries(to bike or self) are involved cause it'll only be worse after that. Just my $.02.

Or if you disike it that much, don't put her on.

funny...I can rarely tell a difference when Sherri is on the back. Some no speed twitches can make me nervous, but once the bike is moving, I really have a hard time telling a difference...other than I like to show off and scrape pegs with her on the bike. She thinks it's cool.

....Worst of all though, Sue wouldn't let me have any speed-fun with her on the back......

Sounds to me like you married the wrong woman..... :p

My wife loves to go fast, and after thousands of miles together is a great pillion. She does not tell me how to ride, and I don't tell her how to sew..

KM