CCT Issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

Reaction score
So, I think I read all of the posts on the CCT issue. On Sunday, I fired up my bike and I'm relatively certain the strange noise I heard (most prevalent on the right side of the engine) was the cam chain slapping around from a failing CCT. No sweat. Babied it on my ride on Sunday. It was due for an oil change, so, I did that last night. Started it up after the oil change and, after warming up, it was still there. Slapity slapity during idle, goes away when revving it up, slapity slapity when it gets back to idle. No sweat...will get CCT replaced. Started it up this morning, same thing. Rode it to the shop to get 2nd opinion and order parts. Get to the shop, leave it running, remove helmet, no slapity slapity. Hmmm..... Turn it off and let it cool down a bit. Started back up after about 20 min, no noise.

Anyone else experience this? Maybe the fresh oil helped...I dunno.

Gonna replace it anyway as preventative maintenance.

Yep. As mentioned many times before CCT's get noisy, can become quiet again, and get noisy again.

Replace it early if it give you piece of mind. They tend to get noisier and noisy more often as they go.

Last edited by a moderator:
No issues with my 2007's CCT to date (27k miles), but I have seen them get noisy when they stick, and quiet down when they eventually release by themselves, on other types of bikes.

I'm with the previous post. . . . Sticky, eventually releases and unwinds, cam chain is tight, but tensioner sticks again and eventually the noise returns.

Just replaced mine yesterday. Same as you, the noise was at first occassional, no pattern, but when it went, it went fulltime. On looking at the removed CCT, there are 3 distinct burrs (tactile, not just surface wear marks) along the plunger shaft, all in the same line and about 1/4" apart. My understanding is that as the internal spring gets older and weaker, the plunger will get hung up on something in the internals and not fully extend.

Git 'er done.

I'm hardly the submissive type Gertrude.. :rolleyes:

Thinking of doing the CCT during the garage day next month.

No, I haven't any issues to this point, just for peace of mind. ;)

:jester:

'Zackly! Mine is in for a valve adjust before WCR and I'm having the tensioner replaced. I've noticed a couple of "noisy-quiet-noisy" cycles and I don't [need] want to shared Howie's experience. :blink: