CCT issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcgyver74

Reaction score
After reading about all the issues we have had with Cam Chain tensioners going cattywampus and detonating engines, I was wondering if we have enough to get NHTSA and ODI to possibly open an investigation. Since I've been on this board (Since June) I have read of at least 2 going belly up and references to at least 3 more, plus we had one detonate at EOM. This is happening with FAR too great a frequency IMHO, it's gotten to the point where I think I'm going to replace mine at 30k just out of paranoia...

I'm sure the FJR tech g-ds can shine much better light on this, but if I understand this correctly the FJR CCT is a spring loaded constant pressure device as opposed to my old Connie that used a spring loaded ratcheting type CCT, Would making it a Ratcheting type possibly protect more motors from going thunk.....

I'm sure the FJR tech g-ds can shine much better light on this, but if I understand this correctly the FJR CCT is a spring loaded constant pressure device as opposed to my old Connie that used a spring loaded ratcheting type CCT, Would making it a Ratcheting type possibly protect more motors from going thunk.....
We may a problem/definition with what a spring ratcheting CCT is, because I have a used FJR CCT sitting on my work bench and I think it is a spring ratched CCT. Once the plunger goes forward, it will not go backward unless you release the tension from the other side with a screwdriver. I think the problem with the FJR CCTs is that the plungers are not long enough and it is possible for the plunger to be fully extended and not have sufficient tension on the cam chain to stop it from jumping a tooth...or it could have nothing to do with the length of the plunger...ionbeam has a very good description of what he thinks is the cause of the CCT failures on fjrriders.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2nd CCT has gone belly up on my '04. First one crapped out at approx 72K and replaced at the same service the valves actually required adjusting for the first time. Now 35K later, the valves are in spec, but CCT is again shot. Both times I've feared the ticker, but thankfully just the weak CCT.

Interestingly Yamaha seems to have a different replacement P/N now 5JW-12210-10 which hopefully is improved. Has the same behavior described by MCRIDER007 - once released the plunger must be backed off by screwdriver from the backside. If there's any appreciable visual difference when pulling the old one will snap a couple photos. This one set me back $125 with the gasket, so hope it lasts for awhile.

Looking for the torque specs for the CCT. New to this forum and perhaps there's a reference here. Gotta break down and get a service manual ...

Last edited by a moderator: