CCT Noise??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCook82

Reaction score
Well, here we go. I walked out to the 06 FJR with 24,000 miles this morning (hey, I bought it used with 1700 supposedly). Flipped the key and hit the starter. Very distinct tick three times. I turned the key off. Engine did not fire. Tick which actually sounds more like a "tack" is louder that the '05 and prior model tickes when running.

Does sound like a valve noise. I have had no CCT noise to date, and have listened for it due to the excellent "heads up" here on the forum. I know what CCT noise is while running, as I had one of the late 80's Concours that sounded like the proverbial spoon in a pan until warm. Changed to all the "newer" stuff back then.

I sure do not want to let this one fire up to see what it sounds like running. Anyone, does the CCT have a noise on turnover before the engine fires?? Thanks CCook

I don't recall mine making noise while cranking.

I do recall it only made noise at idle. As soon as you raise the RPM (even 100 higher) the noise went away.

I don't recall mine making noise while cranking.I do recall it only made noise at idle. As soon as you raise the RPM (even 100 higher) the noise went away.

Thanks for the reply road runner. May try again tomorrow after manually extending the CCT.

No more noise after the two or three "clacks". As reported before, Had no noise of cam chain tensioner problems prior to these symptoms. I fear that i have had a cam chain failure with extensive damage to at least the valve train. Will do compression/ leak down before long. Take notice guys - these may fail spontaneously without prior noise. CC

No more noise after the two or three "clacks". As reported before, Had no noise of cam chain tensioner problems prior to these symptoms. I fear that i have had a cam chain failure with extensive damage to at least the valve train. Will do compression/ leak down before long. Take notice guys - these may fail spontaneously without prior noise. CC

Apparently a fluke. Running fine now with NO noise. Whew, This forum feeds my paranoia. CC

You said the engine did not fire.

I never noticed the CCT making noise unless the engine was running.

Did the starter motor turn the engine?

If the starter motor did not turn and you heard clicking then your battery is probably dead.

Harvey, the battery and starter seemed to be fine. Strong spin, but with the mechanical noise, I did not let it spin long. Could indeed have been a relay or several I was hearing, not valves.

When I pulled the plugs, they were at the outer spec of .032 gap, and wet, so I closed them to .028. I had put them in (iridium some 2000 to 3000 miles ago). I torqued them to book spec of 9 ft. pounds. On removing, they required a socket and drive to break lose, but were only barely snug. On reinstall , I "snugged them " to my "wrist" calibration of maybe 15 pounds or so.

After reassemble, the bike fired up but slowly. Rocking the throttle tube to slightly open seemed to help get it going. Wife said it emitted a puff of smoke. I did not see it. I asked - white or black?? She shrugged - Jeez, how do you train them.

Anyway, after running, I took a 90 mile spin and all was well with the world. Started fine a couple of more times.

Others have reported similar experiences with start ups. I think this may well be a fuel issue, but two others fueled the same/last time I did , and did not encounter such problems.

I also have a PC III and will give this closer attention if mileage is not good, or I experience these problems again. Anyone know if the PCIII failure would exhibit these symptoms?? I guess the quick test sans dyno is to unplug it and plug the O2 sensors back in and see what happens.

Thanks for replies. Cliff