Central Calif. to Tonopah, NV 6/13 - 6/15

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biknflyfisher

Reaction score
In the event anyone else in Central Cally is interested, I'm heading out of Kingsburg (greater Fresno area) early Friday morning and will end up in Tonopah, NV for Fri and Sat night.

I will be heading over Sonora Pass to 395, then So. to Lee Vining, then east from there on 120/6/95 to Tonopah.  On Saturday I will be making a 650+ mile loop to the Ely area and back to Tonopah.  Sunday I will head back home to Kingsburg, and with Yosemite still closed I will either come back over Sonora Pass or go South and come over Walker Pass (I have done both multiple times...).

I tend to ride a lot, and stop only for food/gas/stretches so this is clearly not a "stop and smell the roses" affair.....

Staying at the Hi Desert Inn (a Best Western hotel) with Tonopah Brewery right across the street for post-ride brews, and the Mizpah Hotel is just down the street for food, cocktails, etc.

This is not a candidate for a group event due to last-minute timing, but if you like to ride a lot of miles and see great desert scenery, company is welcomed.

Brian the biknflyfisher

I may move the trip to Sat, Sun and Mon. National Weather Service is now calling for bad wind on Friday (20 to 30mph, gusts to 55).

I’ll get up tomorrow morning, check the weather and make the call....

Brian

I was checking NV DOT on the status of US 95 due to the recent earthquake near Tonopah. There will be closure from June 3 until June 17. They will re-route to US 6 and US 360 I think. 

Probably not a bad detour but might add some time to your ride if you are on that route. 

Great find Kelvin, I appreciate that find.  I just checked where the road closure is and I would be teeing in to 95 right at the southern end of the closure. So, luckily that will not impact my travels!

I have decided to leave on Saturday 6/13 to avoid the wind/dust that is forecast for Friday. Luckily my work calendar for Monday is such that I can take that off rather than Fri.

Biknflyfisher