CFR - 2008 Dates

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr. Bill, we really need to get you better directions. You can do the "Florida/Virginia/Ontario and we'll be going through Maine" route but I'd skip Florida/Virginia/Ontario and just head north to New Brunswick and then saunter over to Nova Scotia. No wonder you missed the sleep bonus in the MM1K last year. :rolleyes:

Canadian FJR

Gypsy,

Thanks for the online help for us outlanders.

Reading part of the CFR thread gives me the impression that Maine police are a pain in the tush for us riders meriting performance evaluations.

I ride with a Valentine 1. Does anyone know if it is undetectable by Canadian police?

I intended to do some touring in the Adirondack Park in NY on the way to NS. Looking at google maps, it appears there are few roads in northern Maine.

Is it recommended to enter Canada at New Brunswick and travel on up to the St. Lawrence before heading east? There appears to be several touring routes north of Highway 2.

Can anyone help with the best sport touring routes. I'll sacrifice time and directness of the route for better sport touring opportunities. Any help will be much appreciated.

Mike / gasportrider

Just a suggestion if you are heading into the Adirondack area maybe you should head north into Quebec to the St lawrence river and then head east.

Some one will come along shortly and correct me here if I'm wrong but I have been told that the north shore of the St lawrence is better. Then take a ferry back across to the south side farther east.

The east coasters can help you there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some one will come along shortly and correct me here if I'm wrong but I have been told that the north shore of the St lawrence is better. Then take a ferry back across to the south side farther east. The east coasters can help you there.
I don't know about the Southern shore, but the Northern shore is a wild roller coaster ride. I took the ferry accross to Riviere-du-Loup hoping to spot some wales, but didn't get to see any.

And if you have the time go up and around the Gaspe Peninsula. This is the only time I saw a sign, an international picture warning sign, showing a wave crashing over the road.

Maine is not terrribly bad for LEO, except lower I 95 is high enforcement and the last time there I saw an old minivan that looked like it had a flat with an LEO shooting radar and then having his buddies down the road stop you. I had heard this on the CB long before I came up to it.

And what CanadianFJR said seems right on, the time I spent in NS I saw no LEO, even if you see them their horses aren't fast enough to catch an FJR :lol:

Glad to see we are getting lots of response from Stateside....now where are the Canadians?!!
gypsy
Love to come but time likely won't permit riding from Calgary and back without losing job and possibly SO...

Anything goin on in Western canada or NW USA this summer...?

Love to come but time likely won't permit riding from Calgary and back without losing job and possibly SO...Anything goin on in Western canada or NW USA this summer...?
Word on the street that the CFR is going to be in BC next year. Of course you should check out the NAFO thread ... that's happening in Golden CO this year

Or at least that is what they say...

Just got off the phone with the hotel. We are planning to block off 25 rooms but if we need more so much the better. We will be sending out a group code to book your rooms. Planning to have a banquet on the Saturday evening. Still haven't decided on a registration fee. I expect that it will cover the banquet :nyam: , rally shirts, hookers :hyper: , just the regular stuff!

Should have the preliminary CFR website up sometime this weekend. I will post the web address.

Will also put suggested rides on the website. :bike:

gypsy

Folks I have the website almost ready to go but my wife keeps asking me to do things around the house...where are her priorities!!

Thanks for your patience.

gypsy

Still working on the wife. She's not quite convinced this is a "real vacation." :glare:

I drool each time those pictures come up....really want to be there.

Still working on the wife. She's not quite convinced this is a "real vacation." :glare:
I drool each time those pictures come up....really want to be there.
My wife wasn't all that sure about WFO last year but she had a great time. She is still undecided on NAFO this year because we have twins on the way which were conceived at WFO and she doesn't want to risk that again!! :)

gypsy

Gypsy,
Thanks for the online help for us outlanders.

Reading part of the CFR thread gives me the impression that Maine police are a pain in the tush for us riders meriting performance evaluations.

I ride with a Valentine 1. Does anyone know if it is undetectable by Canadian police?

Mike / gasportrider
Mike,

The Maine troopers aren't any worse than other places. I think you're safe at 9 over the limit, generally. 15+ will almost guarantee you an award. They use some lazer, but mostly radar, and occasionally aircraft. You can easily see the lines on the road where they might use planes.

VG2 radar detector detectors will not pick up your V1. However these are old tech and no longer made, having been replaced by a new unit called Spectre 3. It will pick up ALL radar detectors except for the Beltronics STI Driver. It will get the V1 at 600 to 800 ft. Read about it here.

As of now, count me in. I could recommend a couple of great roads on the southern part of the island. Through Richmond County. I grew up in that area and could act as an amateur tour guide!