Check Engine Light stays on

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pegscraper

Mr. Photog
Reaction score
I have the 2017 FJR and just changed the oil, oil filter & final drive oil yesterday but noticed today the "engine trouble warning light" remains on. The oil level is perfect and I can't figure what's up.

Hi. I have the same year FJR (2017) and the engine trouble warning light came on this evening on my ride home from work. My bike has been running fine. I am curious to know what you found out about your situation and how it was resolved.
My FJR has about15,000 kms on the odometer. Bought it last September with 8200 km and the transmission recall had been completed. Bought it from a Yamaha dealer here in eastern Canada..

The most common cause of a warning light is a sticking brake lever, usually the rear, which causes the ABS light to come on. This is easily confused with the engine warning light.

The cure is lubrication of the lever's pivot.

If it really is the engine light, there should be an error code, if not displayed then stored in the diagnostic memory.

You haven't said if you've taken it for a ride since the work you did? I had the same thing happen after my Fall maintenance on my 2014 ES last October. On first start up this Spring, even after months of battery removal, the engine light still activated and stayed on. It appears that even though the bike should recognize the center stand being down, if you run the bike through the gears while on the stand, sometimes the bike will "think" there's a problem with the rear wheel turning and the front wheel not, and activate the engine light based on ABS data. The repair manual advises that a short drive with the bike after such an activation should clear the code once the bike travels over 12 km/h if all systems are functional. In my case a short ride up the road and back cleared the code as per the manual, and all was back to normal.