Checking for error codes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBlueStreak

Reaction score
How is this done? I have a 2008. I would like to see if any error codes come up but don't know how to access the sefl dianostic funtion on the bike.

TIA,

Rob

Have you read the New Gen (Gen II) Bin-O-Facts linked here? Read the entire page and you'll be amazed at the information contained therein.

Or...scroll down about 2/3s of the length until you read the heading: Diagnostic Mode.

OK, I went through the codes on the screen as they appear from d:01 - 70 just as the BOF said. As I scrolled through the codes on the clock display, on top of that other numbers would appear. So if I went to code 01 then 16 would appear above it in the middle of the LCD. What does the 16 mean??

Something strange is occasionally happening with respect to post order on the forum when someone replies to a very old thread. In this instance, it was one from 2008. The forum software has TWO posts indicated as #8 and a post from May 2008 shows AFTER one from May 2023... (I have seen this a couple of times before). A bit confusing if you don't look at the posting date.

Regarding the information above, the link to ionbeam's thread (in 03HiYoSilver's 2008 post) is complete, directly from the service manual and includes accessing the codes for both Gen I and Gen II. Also unencumbered by a dubious translation.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=9612#

Have you read the New Gen (Gen II) Bin-O-Facts linked here? Read the entire page and you'll be amazed at the information contained therein.

Or...scroll down about 2/3s of the length until you read the heading: Diagnostic Mode.
scratch that. Not sure I want to know error codes or how to "flash" anything... I'd mess that up!

Something strange is occasionally happening with respect to post order on the forum when someone replies to a very old thread. In this instance, it was one from 2008. The forum software has TWO posts indicated as #8 and a post from May 2008 shows AFTER one from May 2023... (I have seen this a couple of times before). A bit confusing if you don't look at the posting date.

Regarding the information above, the link to ionbeam's thread (in 03HiYoSilver's 2008 post) is complete, directly from the service manual and includes accessing the codes for both Gen I and Gen II. Also unencumbered by a dubious translation.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=9612#

Yes indeed, the chronological ordering of the site is off sometimes...
As for my ER_01 code, I'm slowing going through the looming to see if any wiring needs attention 🖖

scratch that. Not sure I want to know error codes or how to "flash" anything... I'd mess that up!
Oodles of information there, yes.
For my ER_01 error though it comes down to checking all wiring to and from the ECU. If all are okay, then the ECU may well be the issue.
Getting there..... slowly 🖖