Cherohala And Deals Gap

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooter cruzer

Reaction score
Got my first real ST weekend in last week and had an absolute ball with the Effy running the Cherohal Skyway and Deals Gap.

987 miles, one completely fragged front tire and some sore sore wrists from white knuckling the darn around a few corners chasing after my buddies Duc.

Things I've learned:

-Stock seat is good for about 6-8 hours saddle time with Jeans on

-Avons might wear better, but I think the MEZ4's stick just a titch better

-The Riffle tuning block is quite nice...... but lays the windshield back so far that you can no longer get out of the rain

-You can't trailbrake using the front brake (duh). Only serious moment was too hot in a corner running down a Duc and Vstrom and tapped the front and stood her up and right off into the grass. And if you've been on the Skyway, theres about 1 foot of grass before guardrail. Oops.

-You can run around all day down there on a tank of gas and never worry about where the next gas station is

-Shifting weight is VITAL if you intend to zip around like a sport bike.......

-Damn this thing can get up and run when you give it the spurts..... my face still hurts from smiling.

Lots and lots of fun........ hope I can get there again before winter sets in. Maybe even hop off the bike long enough to get some pictures!

Scooter

Hey, nice lil' report there Mr Cruzer. No pikkies???

You do know that EOM (Eastern FJR Owners Meet) is next month (Sept 16-19). The Dragon & Cherohala are planned rides for this event. If you wanna' do this cruise again b4 winter you should come. The link is under "regional ride planning".

Check it out & c'mon down!

Heidi

Thanks for sharin' scooter...

Yeah, you saw first hand this past April at the OSR the results of "trail" braking in the turn (Since you were right behind me). :bleh:

Sounds like you had a good trip. :D

Hey, nice lil' report there Mr Cruzer. No pikkies???
You do know that EOM (Eastern FJR Owners Meet) is next month (Sept 16-19). The Dragon & Cherohala are planned rides for this event. If you wanna' do this cruise again b4 winter you should come. The link is under "regional ride planning".

Check it out & c'mon down!

Heidi
Sorry, only pictures I have are from the parties for the Southern Cruisers State Rally I was at and they are alittle "raw". :)

I was having so much fun riding, I really didn't stop much for pictures...... you can only take so many pics of the sign at the Dragon.

I'd love to come down, but I think I've pretty much used up all my hall passes for awhile. I'm going to miss the Fall Buckeye Run too, so I'm going to be really bummed out next month.

Who knows,..... maybe something will open up.

Scooter

Thanks for sharin' scooter...
Yeah, you saw first hand this past April at the OSR the results of "trail" braking in the turn (Since you were right behind me). :bleh:

Sounds like you had a good trip. :D
LOL........ so very true. Guess I'll blame you for my bad habits. ;)

You be careful at the OFR..... you won't be able to come out and play with us anymore.

Scooter

Things I've learned:-Stock seat is good for about 6-8 hours saddle time with Jeans on

-Avons might wear better, but I think the MEZ4's stick just a titch better

-The Riffle tuning block is quite nice...... but lays the windshield back so far that you can no longer get out of the rain

-You can't trailbrake using the front brake (duh). Only serious moment was too hot in a corner running down a Duc and Vstrom and tapped the front and stood her up and right off into the grass. And if you've been on the Skyway, theres about 1 foot of grass before guardrail. Oops.

-You can run around all day down there on a tank of gas and never worry about where the next gas station is

-Shifting weight is VITAL if you intend to zip around like a sport bike.......

-Damn this thing can get up and run when you give it the spurts..... my face still hurts from smiling.

Lots and lots of fun........ hope I can get there again before winter sets in. Maybe even hop off the bike long enough to get some pictures!

Scooter
AWESOME! Glad you got to take Effy to the area. I can't agree more with your lessons learned. And I don't care what anyone says, the FJR will hold it's own on those roads.

You should see if you ended-up in the Killboy collection under sport-touring. Website is https://www.killboy.com . Here is a shot taken by David of the Killboy gang when I was there in July.

snapshot27.png

We'll have to keep and eye on K I L L B O Y 's page to see if you make the front page or not...
Hope so...... I've gotten pics on my cruiser from them that are really cool. I think they had 4 guys shooting while we were there, but the main place with the sign we were always backed up pretty bad.

Not so funny story on one of our passes. We get behind a Lincold Towncar from Ohio and he is just FLYING through the Gap and not about to let anyone past. You could smell brake pads and fluid burning off. Fortunately, the guys leading backed off of him cause he was going to kill somebody if he kept it up......

Next pass up behind a trike........ yikes those things suck on that road.

Nother funny story...... we're at the BS session for our rally Saturday night (500 bikers..... all but 4 are cruisers). Guy and I are talking about the day's rides and he comments on how to sportbikes went flying by him on the Skyway. I get this big smile and ask him if they look anything like the two right behind him in the parking lot...... you shoulda seen the look on his face when it dawned on him what had happened. :D

AWESOME! Glad you got to take Effy to the area. I can't agree more with your lessons learned. And I don't care what anyone says, the FJR will hold it's own on those roads.

You should see if you ended-up in the Killboy collection under sport-touring. Website is https://www.killboy.com . Here is a shot taken by David of the Killboy gang when I was there in July.

snapshot27.png

Lookin awesome there! Deep dive in, no toes hangin' down (that sure wakes you up), and looking rite through the turn.

Too bad they didn't get a frontal shot so they could see the miniacal grin. :)

Nice trip scooter. Too bad you can't make it to the fall ramble. I was lookin forward to ridin' with you again.

--G