Chicagoland Forum Member Gathering - August

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really do not think I can get to Rockford or Freeport in time to meet up. I think I'd be in for a frustrating morning of playing catch up. It does sound like a nice ride however.

For those who are interested, VFR Rider can provide a gps map in either .gpx or Garmin .gdb formats. PM him to request a copy. If you're planning to attend, please post up sooner than later and let us know where and when we'll see you. I'll see if the Apple Villa will seat us all together.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

I will be at Apple Villa at 8 am. I have been wanting to get back my hometown area to ride for the longest. One question, will we still ride if it rains?

Last edited by a moderator:
.... One question, will we still ride if it rains?

OK, first of all, it's NOT going to rain :no: I have friends in high places and I called in a few favors. Besides, it's not rain that has hindered our gatherings so far as much as heat

Now, speaking in strictly theoretical terms, if it were to rain, it would have to be a last minute call whether or not we ride. I'll be at breakfast, regardless. If it's raining or rain is in the forecast, we can collectively decide if or where we ride. Maybe we cut the ride a little short or, worst case, we dust off the rain gear and just ride to breakfast, then back home.

Anyone planning to meet us anywhere OTHER THAN at breakfast, PM me and I'll give you my cell phone number so you can call for an update if it rains :telephone: which, again, it will NOT do .

Put me down as tentative, I'm waiting a on a valve cover gasket.

And then I need to disassemble and reassemble the bike.

But, if all goes as planned, I'll be there.

-bvw.

Count me in!

Griff, should we meet at Speedway again?

I bought an I-Pass last night... finally. Should make things a little easier on the tollway. If any of you guys have one, where do you put it? Will it work from the breast pocket in a leather riding jacket?

Bill

I bought an I-Pass last night... finally. Should make things a little easier on the tollway. If any of you guys have one, where do you put it? Will it work from the breast pocket in a leather riding jacket?
Bill-

I keep mine mounted on the bottom inside of my windshield, using the supplied hook-loop fastners. That way, I can slap it on when I know I need it and remove it easily when I don't. The pocket of your jacket will be hit or miss, and not because of the material. It should do it's job through leather. I have tried that and found it's having it in the proper position that seems to be the problem.

Of course, duct taping it to your brake reservoir works well too :blink:

Larry

A quick update on the "eat & ride" on Saturday, August 25th:

We'll be making a brief stop at the Belvidere Oasis (westbound I-90) at about 10:15 where we'll pick up burnergold2B, who's coming down from the Janesville, WI, area to ride with us. Anyone else who's still on the fence about coming, that might be a good meeting place for you too.

Note to Breadman: is that still too early for you? Keep in mind, we'll be making a detour off of Route 20 before Galena. Between that, the stop at the oasis and the time we spend in Galena, that should give you quite a bit of time to catch up. I'd estimate being in Galena by around 12:30. If that doesn't work, it might be a good day to use a vacation day :glare:

Lar,

Thanks for thinkin' of me. It really looks like I wouldn't be able to get off work as early as I initially thought. I will have to skip this meet. Driving at warp speed out of necessity is something I don't want to do. I also would never want to hold the group up waiting for me.

I'll promise to deliver a loaf (of bread) for each one of you if you can get Jon over 65 MPH!!

P.S. Black Cherry is a manly color.

A quick update on the "eat & ride" on Saturday, August 25th:

We'll be making a brief stop at the Belvidere Oasis (westbound I-90) at about 10:15 where we'll pick up burnergold2B, who's coming down from the Janesville, WI, area to ride with us. Anyone else who's still on the fence about coming, that might be a good meeting place for you too.

Note to Breadman: is that still too early for you? Keep in mind, we'll be making a detour off of Route 20 before Galena. Between that, the stop at the oasis and the time we spend in Galena, that should give you quite a bit of time to catch up. I'd estimate being in Galena by around 12:30. If that doesn't work, it might be a good day to use a vacation day :glare:

[/q

Do you have a lunch stop planned in Galena where I could find you?

Do you have a lunch stop planned in Galena where I could find you?
There's a Culver's on the west side of town that would seem like a good place to stop/meet and.....for those not still too full from breakfast ....eat. Unless someone has a better suggestion, let's plan on stopping there.

S&T says my planned route should get me to Galena by 11:30 12:00, does that fit with your plans to meet at Culvers?

S&T says my planned route should get me to Galena by 11:30 12:00, does that fit with your plans to meet at Culvers?
It should, airboss. I had actually estimated being there by 12:00 - 12:30. I'll PM you with my cell number. You can give me a call if you get there and we're not there yet and I'll give you a better ETA.

I'll be at Apple Villa at 8am.

As for the I-Pass question, I velcro mine to the front of a tankbag. When not using the tankbag, I just put it in a jacket pocket.

Not to derail just a quick post. Legally you should have your I-Pass with you all the time. realistically all you have to do is register your plates on I-Pass site and leave it at home. I refuse to take my hands and attention of the bike just so state can get my 40 cents. They have the system now in place to read your plates and check if you have an i-pass and charge it against it. have been riding like this for over 4 years. Haven't had a problem yet.

Not to derail just a quick post. Legally you should have your I-Pass with you all the time. realistically all you have to do is register your plates on I-Pass site and leave it at home. I refuse to take my hands and attention of the bike just so state can get my 40 cents. They have the system now in place to read your plates and check if you have an i-pass and charge it against it. have been riding like this for over 4 years. Haven't had a problem yet.
Cougar-

Funny you should say that cause I just returned last night from a 9-day ride with the SO. Packed to the max, I didn't want to carry the I-PASS the entire way when it would only be used for the first and last 50 miles of the entire 2800 mile ride....so I rode sans I-PASS knowing that my license plate is matched to the I-PASS. While there are signs posted after every toll to pay unpaid fines online, I'm interested in seeing whether I-PASS will register my usage. I plan to check my account to determine if/when it updates.

Good points on the I-Pass guys, and thanx.

I've decided to mount it on the inside of my face shield. :stunned: Thank goodness for peripheral vision!!! :eek:neeyedsmiley: