choice of wind screen for cooler weather

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wantabe

Reaction score
Coming from a Cruiser with a full size wind screen to the FJR this summer, I find that once the temps drop I need a little bit more wind protection..Now the one on my bike now is the Factory screen and I like it for summer use..  Besides the Factory upgrade option, which other screens have you purchase and worked out well for cooler weather...Not looking for a crazy lg screen just a nice upgrade that works and you can see through as we ride- wife and I on the back roads of NJ, Pa and NY(some have a curve that when looking through Optically changes your view to one of looking through a soda bottle) Thanks and when you list your screens let me know why you like it too....

I have a Cee Bailey tinted reverse flip that is like +2 wide and +2 or 3 tall. I took it off because it was too big for me and made riding too hot. For NM, it just wasn't what I wanted.

You can have it for $100 + shipping. It is currently sitting in a box in storage. 

Edit: 

Here is the link from 2 years ago: 

I replaced the OEM screen with a CalScientific 2' wider and 4" taller. It worked OK for more wind protection but the optics was less than the OEM screen. On a previous 07 FJR I had the Yamaha Touring Screen which I liked. I have replace the CalSci screen with a FJR Touring screen and am now happy with the optics and size. This screen fits the bike profile better than the CalSci. As an added plus, you will find the FJR Touring screen is not expensive compared to other brands.  

CalSci large Imade a cover for the holes for rain.  I like the holes for summer riding, airflo to the chest. 

Every make and model has its supporters, you'd have a hard time finding a majority to agree on any single one, but with that said, I'd jump on Zilla's deal--the CB will be a definite upgrade from stock, at least for wind protection, and it's a bargain at that price.  And since you both live in America, shipping should be almost nothin'.

Yes, the larger Cee Bailey is nice and they are no longer making them.

I have a couple different sizes of cee Bailey, the stock screen and a barndoor National Cycle VStream.  The latter is probably the best in the cold but is pretty big.  I don't use it very often but will break it out for a late-season ride if the temperatures are low.

vsyasn20302fjr1300.jpg

I've been running a Rifle, wider and taller than stock. Originally thought I would need to swap it out for summertime but I found that due to the angle it provides adequate air flow so no change necessary.  YMMV.  🙂

I'll second jumping on 'Zilla's Cee Bailey screen. Providing you're around / under 6', it's the perfect size for winter use, plus CB shields work well on GEN II bikes. VStream is another option. Wait for a used shield too, you'll pay 40-50% of new cost.

...$100 shipped is about right! 😉

~G

Been running the ahamaY "touring" shield for nearly as long as I've had the '03 (PdP wave 1). Summers I swap in the OEM original (smallest of the gens).

Definitely jump on Zilla's deal.  I have one, it's perfect for cool mornings/evenings and can be lowered enough to be comfortably breezy on 60*F days.