Chrome-plating Source?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bandit Greg

Reaction score
Hey guys... Anyone know a (reasonably-priced) place that can chrome-plate a couple of small pieces?
I'm restoring a little Honda XR75 and want to chrome a few tidbits.
Preferably towards the eastern half of the country... but, whatevah

I don't have a clue but need chrome work too
I live in Central Fla, and have not had any luck finding local one in the past. Odd - you'd think that with all the chrome used on trucks and Harleys they'd have a good business here 🤣. So the closest I've directed to (but not used yet) are in the Space Coast area.

Used to be a lot more of them. I think quite a few places got out of it because of environmental regulations and waste disposal costs. Some nasty chemicals are used and even rinse water has to be treated before discharge.

EPA requirements are much stronger
OSHA too. Hexavalent chromium is a powerful carcinogen.

Edit for some chemistry:
Most plating still uses hex chrome although there are trivalent chromium methods.

Hexavalent chrome vs trivalent

Trivalent chromium is far less toxic but discharge is still closely controlled. It is relatively easy to remove most of the trivalent chromium from a solution - it precipitates under alkaline conditions. In fact, hexavalent chromium is converted to the trivalent form by chemical reduction and treated with alkalis (lime, caustic soda etc.) and filtered for discharge.

There was a large chrome plater in this province that had a major spill. Environmental cleanup costs were sufficient to put them permanently out of business. Groundwater near the site was monitored for more than a dozen years.

Last edited:
Good to see there are still some custom shops out there. I expect prices are a bit more than they used to be.

I went with Quality Chrome Plating, in Sterling Illinois. It was recommended by someone on The Other FJR site.
I sent out two small pieces- a valve cover and an engine badge-plate for a 1973 XR75... projected cost- $100 total, for both... plus UPS return shipping and Tax, I imagine.
Will let y'all know how it turns out.