Cigars?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great Hobby!!!

The Robusto (5" by 50 ring) sized cigars are a good size to start with...about a 30-45 min smoke.

I like the Romeo & Julieta and the Torano brands, the Plasencia's ain't bad, not much into the Macanudo brand.

Consider these...

https://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=CS-ONA&cat=3

https://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=CS-AFA&cat=3

if ya wanna spend a little more, try these

https://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=CS-AHA&cat=3

when yer ready for something with more of a kick, just ask

My current favorite are these...

https://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=CS-LPE&cat=3
Not a shocker that post #2 would be from Joe. I got scaufed at when I showed up at a camp meet with Joe and some black n milds. I dont know anything about what makes a good cigar but I also am intrigued. :unsure:

I quit smoking about a 2 years ago, not easy! I don't have cravings anymore but I know I would love relaxing with a cocktail and a cigar on occasion. I'm afraid that even without inhaling, I'd get enough nicotine in me that I be back to smoking cigs again. Any reformed smokers been able to take up the hobby w/o taking up smoking again?

Any reformed smokers been able to take up the hobby w/o taking up smoking again?
yeh. but i put 25 or more years between the last pack of Marlborough and my first fine, hand rolled cigar.

during some cigar events i might smoke several a day. most of the time i smoke 1 couple a month. often i got a couple of months without bothering. building the shop has given me time to smoke a few more while out there working. It's always a matter of wanting to make it a special thing and never a matter of "i need a smoke".

Last edited by a moderator:
I quit smoking about a 2 years ago, not easy! I don't have cravings anymore but I know I would love relaxing with a cocktail and a cigar on occasion. I'm afraid that even without inhaling, I'd get enough nicotine in me that I be back to smoking cigs again. Any reformed smokers been able to take up the hobby w/o taking up smoking again?
Yea, I'm one. Used to smoke a couple packs a day. Quit for 15 years or more.

Then started smoking hand rolled smokes using a long cut pipe tobacco and these really cool German rolling papers that were made out of tobacco. Started out to be an occasional thing that kept pulling me in. When I catch myself lighting up just because the phone rings or because I'm getting in the car, then I'd have to back off because I wasn't enjoying it anymore.

I've been smoking cigars off and on for a few years now and it's never worked me over like that. Of course, like anything that feels good, I want to do too much of it! It's just been no big deal to take a few weeks or even months off without smoking. Then when I do sit down with a cigar, it's really nice!

I think it helps if it's a pass time spent with friends!

"Not a shocker that post #2 would be from Joe. I got scaufed at when I showed up at a camp meet with Joe and some black n milds. I dont know anything about what makes a good cigar but I also am intrigued"

Friends don't let friends smoke paper cigars, I tried to give you a real one! I guess it would be alright if you used them to smoke a blunt?

I buy three of a new cigar to give them a good chance. Sometimes it depends on your mood and situation.

I'm smoking a VSG Wizard with a nice single malt, tasty!

I got this Perfecto Humidor from Cuban Crafters for $69.00! It's actually really nice, well made, perfect seal, humidity holds steady and will hold over 100 cigars. The seasoning process only took 24hrs with this one. I'm real happy with it and it didn't break the bank either.

I shy away from pipe tobacco too since it's often flavored and has who-knows-what additives. In a pipe (again something you don't inhale) the stem and other parts of the pipe help precipitate out some of those. If used as a cigar or cigarette filler? Not so much. I can only assume that such would be worse than cigarette tobacco if inhaled.

Avo #7 and #9. Arturo Fuentes Hemingway signatures. Both are kinda pricey but if you only smoke once in a blue moon, worth the costs. I also recall the cigs from the Cuban Cigar Factory in the gas lamp distrct of San Diego were decent and cheaper.

Cigars are ungodly expensive in WA, where we have sin taxes that just about double the cost. They have also outlawed cigar bars so about the only place you can smoke is on a boat, in your back yard, o r in the woods.

I shy away from pipe tobacco too since it's often flavored and has who-knows-what additives. In a pipe (again something you don't inhale) the stem and other parts of the pipe help precipitate out some of those. If used as a cigar or cigarette filler? Not so much. I can only assume that such would be worse than cigarette tobacco if inhaled.
Somebody had the bright idea to open roll your own ciggy stores here in Michigan using pipe tobacco as filler to avoid state taxes. At better than $20 off a carton this seemed like a deal...Wrong!!

I bought a carton, tried to adapt and tossed those nasty sob's in the trash after 3 packs. :bad: Pipe tobacco in a pipe works for me, but paper wrapped is one nasty smoke.

Yep. Stopped smoking ciggerettes 8? yesrs back. Haven't had one since. But shortly after I quit I got into cigars. I'm not too picky and don't spend alot on them. Wife likes it if I stay under the 6 bucks a cigar ceiling, but get to drift over that now and then. Tend to prefer Churchhills as when I sit down to have a cigar I gots time. A nice single malt scotch usually accompanies the cigar, but being a wine lover too might have a nice cab or zin instead.

Have no real favorites as much like wine, there's alot of labels (and vintages) out there so I always like to try something diffrent. Dominican Republic cigars seem to be a good leaf.

Theres a cigar store here that is always sponsoring cigar events and sales. I can't handle going to them cause there's 20+ folks smoking cigars inside the store....talk about 2nd hand smoke....lol.

Somewhere back I started a Scotch thread that has some cigar favorites in it....can't search for it at the moment....

KM

A 12 year old MacAllans makes a swisher sweet.

But then........ A 6 month old boones farm makes Zilla look hawt.

About 40 years ago I embarked on the search for the perfect cigar......for me, not necessarily for anyone else. I found a few I liked over the years, but within the last year, as a result of a recommendation from a fellow cigar smoker, I found the Hoyo de Monterrey Reposado en Cedros. Mild enough for a new smoker, but satisfying enough for the average guy. Hints of cedar, doesn't burn the back of the throat, I like the Liso size, which is I guess about the size of a Churchill. I've smoked about three boxes of these, and all were good, even burning, and also inexpensive. Less than three dollars a piece at the local cigar shop. For me the perfect compromise. Worth a try if you've not had one. The others listed here are good too; it's just that I've found what I was looking for, so the rest will be only occasional.

HdM used to be my go to in cases where the RyJ Curley Heads were too low brow. Used to always smoke the CH's when riding the bike or working in the yard. Cut leaf filler from the scraps of their premium smokes so it tasted great but was under a buck. The only difference between the CH and CH Deluxe was the band - and 30 cents more. During the cigar boom is saw the CHD go all the way to $12 each at some local shops. It was crazy then and when I got into mail ordering.

I now really like those from a little island sound of Miami (ISOM). In Miami is Moore & Bode. A boutique mfgr that is the only place that still used the entubar method of rolling their cigars. Makes for perfect draws without ever a plug.

According to Tobacconist University, Entubar (or "Entubado") is a "bunching technique which rolls each filler leaf into itself, almost like a small scroll. Each individually "scrolled" leaf is then placed together to form the bunch. This skillful rolling technique creates a more firmly packed cigar which allows air to travel between all of the leaves, carrying more aromatics/flavors to the palate. Entubado rolling is the most difficult and complex bunching method and is therefore rarely employed in large scale manufacturing."

Well it's been one of those weeks! Running around like a madman...not enough sleep...but alas it is finally Friday and I'm still alive. It's 8:27am in the morning and I already know what I'm doing toinight. I'm sitting on the deck this evening with a adult beverage in one hand and in the other I'm gonna smoke the biggest & fattest stogie I got!!! :drag: TGIF everybody!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEMHtoWGLW0

It's 8:27am in the morning
there's an 8:27am any place other than in the morning?

i bet you say "ATM Machine", too. right? :rofl:
Holy Fuck some of you Forum guys micro-analyze everything people post & say. While your rolling on the ground you can roll over onto this :finger: Maybe you could do that about 11:30pm at night. :D Smart ass!!!

Well the Macanudo had a nice draw and good body to it...but it was too mild. I feel the same about the Torano. I guess I need to go to a more heavy body tobacco. The mild stuff isn't really doing it for me. I'm not even gonna ask for suggestions because everyone's palate is different.

I think I'm gonna try this Davidoff Sampler

image-125324.jpg

IMO, you can't go wrong with a Macanudo. I've enjoyed these medium bodied cigars of late:

Oliva Connecticut Reserve Robusto (5" x 50)

CAO Black Ltd. Bengal (6" x 50)

The Perdomo Habano Gran Torp. COR is a bit more bold.

On my multi-day rides whiskey and cigars are mandatory each evening.

Enjoy!