Cigars?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the Macanudo had a nice draw and good body to it...but it was too mild.
that's typical of Macanudos. that's why it's one of the most often recommended by tobacconists when someone comes in as a newbie or asking neophyte questions about what they recommend. less likely to turn them off to the hobby.

had a few nice cigars over the weekend. A Punch Punch, a Moore & Bode Miami, and a Fonseca Habana.

all accompanied by a nice Graham port.

here's the best i've been able to capture of the wall-of-fame in the shop i'm building. it's going behind the sheet rock for posterity and are bands of all the cigars smoked during the project. i'm working on the glare from the polyurethane coating.

cigars-thumb.jpg

BTW: to your PIN Number and oh 8 27 hundred people...

BilltheCat.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
that's typical of Macanudos. that's why it's one of the most often recommended by tobacconists when someone comes in as a newbie or asking neophyte questions about what they recommend. less likely to turn them off to the hobby.

had a few nice cigars over the weekend. A Punch Punch, a Moore & Bode Miami, and a Fonseca Habana.

all accompanied by a nice Graham port.

BTW: to your PIN Number and oh 8 27 hundred people...

BilltheCat.gif
How Ironic you should post that picture of Bill the Cat Bounce.

Back 30 years ago, in another life I was Bill according to those I associated with.

Corporate went as far as having him embroidered on all my company shirts!

Since I'm new to cigars I figured I better start out mild, but I'm quickly discovering mild isn't interesting enough for me. It's time to kick it up a notch or two. I like Bourbon with my Cigars btw. (Wild Turkey or Makers Mark)

Knob Creek, try a Romeo y Jullieta Hemingway Signature.

On a side note, I just put back my 2nd batch of Apple Pie. It may be better than the first was.

Just had a couple great new cigars, Alec Bradley New York, Gurkha Seduction...both go great with a glass of Makers on the rocks

alecbradley.jpg

gurkha.jpg

On a side note, I just put back my 2nd batch of Apple Pie. It may be better than the first was.
Did ya mean to say Arturo Fuente Hemingway or did Romeo y Jullieta come out with a Hemingway?

..try a Romeo y Jullieta Hemingway Signature.
Well my next one is a Romeo Y Julieta Vintage #1. I'm looking forward to trying that one.

Just had a couple great new cigars, Alec Bradley New York, Gurkha Seduction
Describe it. What flavor's did it have? Smoke? Draw? How long of a smoke? How much cost per stick?

Describe it. What flavor's did it have? Smoke? Draw? How long of a smoke? How much cost per stick?
They are both at the upper end of medium in strength...

The Alec Bradley New York...I sampled two New Yorks (Robusto 5 x 52 & Grand Toro 6 x 54)over as many days and I must say that I loved smoking these cigars. With rich complexity, deep flavors, and just a hint of spice. These are very nice medium strength cigars, that I think that you might enjoy.

As for the Gurkha (not usually a brand that I enjoy) I sampled the (Churchill 7 x 55)on recommendation of some trusted friends at the cigar shop that I visit on a regular basis. Spice and earth – I know it doesn’t sound like the best combo but I will admit, this cigar came to life with some very thick plumes of smoke, but also very smooth. The spice is not overpowering but rest assured, you will know what I am talking about when you give one a shot.

The length of smoke depends totally on the size.

The Alec Bradley Robusto was $7.59 and the Grand Toro & the Gurkha Seduction Churchill were $9.59 each

They are both at the upper end of medium in strength...

The Alec Bradley New York...I sampled two New Yorks (Robusto 5 x 52 & Grand Toro 6 x 54)over as many days and I must say that I loved smoking these cigars. With rich complexity, deep flavors, and just a hint of spice. These are very nice medium strength cigars, that I think that you might enjoy.

As for the Gurkha (not usually a brand that I enjoy) I sampled the (Churchill 7 x 55)on recommendation of some trusted friends at the cigar shop that I visit on a regular basis. Spice and earth – I know it doesn’t sound like the best combo but I will admit, this cigar came to life with some very thick plumes of smoke, but also very smooth. The spice is not overpowering but rest assured, you will know what I am talking about when you give one a shot.

The length of smoke depends totally on the size.

The Alec Bradley Robusto was $7.59 and the Grand Toro & the Gurkha Seduction Churchill were $9.59 each
Ok great write up. That's the type of information I'm looking for! I think I'll try to find one of those Alec Bradleys.

Did ya mean to say Arturo Fuente Hemingway or did Romeo y Jullieta come out with a Hemingway?
my bad. you;re right. RyJ Palma (discontinued) and the Hemingways are some of my favorite. A diiiistant 2nd to Punch Punch (habano).

too much port over the weekend?

on a positive note, i'm enjoying the heck out of the Moore & Bode Mami's that came in last month. they are light wrappered and on the mild side for my preferences but the April order is still waiting for the 2 boxes of Flamboian Darks that were back ordered. one of the few remaining companies that make cigars using the entubar method of rolling each filler leaf as a tube so that draw is perfect every time.

One of my favorite things to do when the weather is nice is sit out in my backyard with a bourbon or mixed drink and have a cigar. So simple, yet so relaxing.

I got this triple torch flame lighter with hole punch. I've been liking the hole punched tip better than a straight cut lately. The punch makes a nice clean medium draw without cut wrapper bits in your mouth. Plus you don't have to worry if you forgot your cutter. Also being a scentless butane triple flame torch its perfect for lighting outdoors.

Lighter_zpsa7688c91.jpg

My go to Cigar of choice lately is the Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970 Gran Consul nice even full body taste but not overpowering. Good strong smoke. Nice ash. I even prefer the Torpedo shape as well. Just a great smoke at a reasonable price.

Joya_zps6d9eb5d6.jpg

Great topic. It is one of my vices as well.

To the idea that you don't get much (enough?) nicotine without inhaling, that is rubbish. You will absorb the nicotine directly from the smoke in your mouth through the mucous membranes of your cheeks and tongue. That is a (big) part of the calming influence of cigar enjoyment. Many newbie cigar smokers will get green around the gills if they go after a big ole fat stogie too fast even without inhaling any of the smoke.

I started smoking (cheap) cigars back in my Navy days. We smoked pretty much anything we could get our hands on in those days: Pipes, cigars, cigarettes (unfiltered Camels of course, because they had the best tobacco). Nicotine was our best friend. When I got out I quit the cigarettes and inhaling cold turkey, but surprisingly, even after 6 years of daily huffing, with no real difficulty.

By the way, only the cheap crappy pipe tobaccos have the nasty chemical shit added for making it smell a certain way or (gack) taste like fruity flavors. Better quality pipe tobacco is fermented and matured in a similar way to good quality cigars. But a pipe, with the concentrated smoke stream, is a lot tougher on your mouth.

I've always continued to smoke the pipes and cigars occasionally, though cigars much more often. At one point a few years ago I was a 2 or 3 a day smoker of pretty strong 'gars, but when I had to go on medication for my blood pressure I weaned back. No, unlike the anti-smoking nazis, I don't think occasional cigar smoking is a health hazard, and I am 100% convinced that second hand smoke presents no health hazard unless you are sealed in a room or car with that smoke. But I did (and do) realize that nicotine is a drug that will impact your blood pressure depending on quantity of use.

OK, if you've suffered through my post this far, here's a little gold for you: CAO L'Aniversarrie (sp?) Maduros. You can score a box of 20 for just over $70 (for Robustos) and you will not be disappointed. Very rich flavor, medium (nicotine) strength, good to great construction. Everyone I know who has tried them has liked them. And best of all, the Toro size is only a few bucks more a box. Toros are my Goldilocks go-to size. Not as time consuming as a gran corona or churchill, not as quick to the nub as a robusto. Juuuust right.

Special occasions call for a Padron Anniversario. I like them better than most habanos, and yes I've had a fair share of cuban cigars.

Smoking of any kind is "unhealthy" but I personally don't see an issue with a weekend cigar. Like anything in life...and I mean anything...moderation & control are needed. You do anything too much and it can be a problem. I never have more than 2 cigars a week and some weeks I don't have any at all, just all depends. I've yet to find cigars addicting and I decide if/when I have one.

That being said while I personally think cigs are disgusting I find the aroma of cigars without inhaling it into your lungs to be very enjoyable. Cigars are like fine wines..you look at it, you feel it, you smell it and then you taste it and it satisfies all your senses. You can get a cheap $5.00 "BOX" of wine you stick in your fridge and drink while your watching Judge Judy at night by yourself or you can spend $40+ for a nice aged wine of your choice and enjoy all the flavor notes and sit outside with your wife and watch the sunset together. Both are wines and both have virtually nothing in common both in taste, ambience or enjoyment. A cheap drunk just needs alcohol in vast quantities regardless of quality and a nicotine addict just needs a shot of nicotine much the same way.

To me cigars and wines are for a more refined palate and for those that want to broaden their horizons. So many flavors, wraps, tobacco's, brands and sizes to experiment with. One good sized cigar is a 45min - 90min smoke and is best enjoyed accompanied with good conversation with a close friend or for some personal quiet time by yourself to allow your mind to relax and de-stress.

"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." -- Mark Twain

The thing we all do that shortens your life the most is just waking up and getting out of bed each day.

But I'd prefer to keep doing that (among other things) even though it is so unhealthy... ;)

The thing we all do that shortens your life the most is just waking up and getting out of bed each day. But I'd prefer to keep doing that (among other things) even though it is so unhealthy...
wink.png
Life is short that is a certainty. We all have to strike a balance with taking care of ourselves but also allowing ourselves to enjoy life and the things that life offers.

One thing I think of...especially in America...is Obesity. We all love to Eat. But eating too much causes sooooo many health issues. High blood pressure, cholesterol, clogged arteries, loss of breath, no energy, higher risk of heart trouble, shot knees & joints, shortened life span...etc.

I exercise 4-5 days a week, run, lift weights, try to eat decently, keep my weight in check and I value my health...but I'm also going to enjoy a big thick juicy steak, a ice cold beer and an occasional cigar of my liking. Life is too short to not enjoy it!