Cincinnati, Ohio, Valentine 1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickster

Reaction score
I received extremely poor customer service from Valentine One / Valentine 1 company.

It took over 6 lengthy phone calls to get the issues resolved with the Valentine 1/Valentine One RD repaired, and shipping parts back to them (twice).

I was requested to perform additional 'testing' (this cost me over $70 in parts, and at least 8 houirs to perform their requested tests)

Even after I documented (per their request) 5 pages of my troubleshooting, Valentine 1 did not appear to want to help me in any way, and kept claiming that there is nothing wrong with their product, and I must be hooking something up wrong.

Ultimately Valentine one repaired their defective RD, and shipped it back with zero explanation.

This experience cost ME an additional $93.00 to get them to fix THEIR product

(parts, connectors, 4-wire phone cord, 6 wire phone cord, RJ-11 connectors, etc., 10.50 shipping, another 10.50 shipping and insurance.)

I sent them an e-mail also, and received no response.

Last edited by a moderator:
I received extremely poor customer service from Valentine One company.
It took over 6 lengthy phone calls to get the Valentine 1 RD repaired, and shipping parts back to them (twice).

I was requested to perform additional 'testing' (this cost me over $70 in parts, and at least 8 houirs to perform their requested tests)

Even after I documented (per their request) 5 pages of my troubleshooting, Valentine 1 did not appear to want to help me in any way, and kept claiming that there is nothing wrong with their product, and I must be hooking something up wrong.

Ultimately Valentine one repaired their defective RD, and shipped it back with zero explanation.

This experience cost ME an additional $93.00 to get them to fix THEIR product

(parts, connectors, 4-wire phone cord, 6 wire phone cord, RJ-11 connectors, etc., 10.50 shipping, another 10.50 shipping and insurance.)

I sent them an e-mail also, and received no response.
You want I should go over there and bust some heads boss? :assassin:

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with them.

I had just the opposite a couple of years ago. I left the 5 year old V1 audio module out in the rain all night. It had been acting up anyway on my trip to EOM. I took it apart to find parts and solder joints corroded by the 1/2 gal of water inside, and a little part was broken off, prolly due to vibes and bumps.

When I got home I called CS and was told they'd fix it for $25. That's better than $50 for a new one. Sent it in with the check, had it back in just over a week, repaired, and my uncashed check was in the package. Pretty good service, in my opinion.

It doesn't make up for the poor service you received, however.

That's pretty poor, even unacceptable customer service.

However, I must say that I also had an opposite experience two years ago. In 2005 my 1997-vintage V1 was acting very strange and falsing a lot. I happened to be in Cincinnati in business and stopped by their location for diagnosis. I had to call them for directions - I had never been there. They took it in back, determined there was a component on the board that had gone bad with time & temperature, and simply soldered a new one on. I tried to pay them, but they just said it was no charge.

I was very happy with that level of service.

Don

Sorry to hear about your trouble...

My experience has been generally positive. I've had to return my V1 twice for the same problem... the audio speaker stopped working. The first time, it was covered under warranty. The second time (just recently) I sent it in with a check to cover the work, and got it back less than a week later with my uncashed check in the box. Other than the possibility that the speaker design is defective, their responses to the issues have been as much as I could expect under the circumstances.

I've got a couple of Valentine Ones. One has been upgraded a couple of times. The other is pretty new.

The upgrade process was painless and modestly priced. Buying a new one was very simple and fast.

The first one I bought I actually went to their factory and picked it up from a real person.

I can't think of a better radar detector, and it works on the bike with the H.A.R.D. helmet kit which can be useful, especially with the FJR which I think tends to present an overly reflective profile to folks out front.

My take on Valentine One is "Don't leave home without it."