Circling Lake Michigan

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiderCoach Lar

FJRm'd and dangerous
Reaction score
Last weekend, VFR Rider and I did an 1100 mile loop around Lake Michigan. I have to say, I was completely blown away by the ride, especially up through northern Michigan. It WAY exceeded my expectations and I would highly recommend it to anyone who's either been considering it or is looking for a good midwest ride. Some of the highlights were highway 22, north of Manistee, route 31 from Traverse City to Petoskey, and the "tunnel of trees" on route 119, north of Petoskey. For those of us in Chicago who see WAY too many flat straight roads and corn fileds, it was great to find such AWESOME riding so close to home.

A big THANKS to TCFJR1300 for showing us the incredible backroads of Traverse City (see photo below).

DSCN3216-sm.jpg

That's my, TCFJR1300 and VFR Rider's '03, '04 and '05 with a vineyard and the West Arm of Grand Traverse Bay in the background.

Did a trip around Superior before I found out it qualified as a IBA intro. And this on a XS650. Tis a pretty trip though.

Larry, thank you for your invitation and sorry for declining it. Sounds like you had a blast. This year with another kid coming I am at the mercy of a moment.

You do have a route saved, correct?

Here are a couple more pictures from the trip. Would have loved to take more but was too busy with riding the great roads.

500234532_6c05d925a1_b.jpg

500234352_c0c0ae7357_b.jpg

500231878_ec41d6d084_b.jpg

500279253_0127399286_b.jpg

500232472_06e1e4fc87_b.jpg

That is a nice ride... Though you should have done it in 24hours ;)
Nahhh...for me motorcycling is best done while smelling the roses and getting the most out of every moment. Though I have alot of respect and admiration for the IB guys, that's jes not for me.

Thanks for the ride report you guys...always fun to look over someone elses shoulder and see the ride they did.