• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Clearwater Lights Group Buy 2014 (Feb. 1st - Feb. 28th)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a side note, how difficult are the Clearwaters to install? I'm not sure I trust my local dealership to install..
They aren't too bad to install, Gary's walk thru is pretty good at showing the level of skill needed. On a scale of 1-10 I would say these are about a 6 difficulty, mostly because of the panel removal around the dash and the wiring needed to hook everything up. My install was about an 8.5 but I made it a pain in my own arse by also installing new FZ1 mirrors and an Eastern Beaver fuse block under the passenger seat plus soldering all my connections as I don't like posi-taps. But mine looks good and functions very well… it's totally doable if you take your time and have basic handy skills, plus I have seen some pretty bad hack jobs at dealerships. I try to be objective about working on bikes since my job is a repair technician for a mumbo jumbo of commercial electrical, gas, and mechanical equipment, so I am used to fiddling and tinkering with stuff that not everyone is comfortable with.
rolleyes.gif

If you have any doubts about your ability, hopefully another forum member lives nearby and could help you out with it? I'm planning on making a trip to Illinois this spring to help Tango Sierra install his Krista/Glenda combo on his '10… we are generally a helpful bunch if you can find someone semi-local.

Linc and Gary,

I figured someone would have posted something on the CW lights install. Thanks for sending me the link. I'll have to make a note of the differences on my GEN 2. I have done a couple youtube and google searches on the CW install. The one video i did see was of an install on a BMW GS. I have a moderate amount of experience wrenching on old VW's (check out my bus!) however my FJR is new and everything is so compact. I'm sure I will end up just diving in the install myself though. My local Yamaha dealer I don't fully trust with wiring and especially where the installation of the volume switch will be. They fouled up where i wanted the mounting location of my heated grips switch. And..I try to be meticulously neat in electrical work.

Gary, I like your volume mount idea. I see that they give you a little "L" piece. Where did you mount the on/off switch? I've seen a few installs where the volume knob is located where the factory heated grips controls would be. I guess I wouldn't mind that however it doesn't seem like an ideal location.

f602147d600a5d92c44887989f89d967_zps914d6cea.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The install of Clearwater lights is really a matter of tucking the wiring as neatly as possible and using plug-in connections that only work one way. There are lots of FJR installation directions online in PDF and video format, besides the BMW. Directions vary by light model, and most are on the Clearwater Lights.com site. It is really a simple setup and you are given all the parts you need and more. If you can remove the dash panels, and unbolt the mirrors and/or fender mounts, you can install these. Standard installation uses Posi-Tap connectors, so if you want something else, that's on you.

The only possible trick is if you hook up the horn bypass, you might need a relay. Otherwise, take your time, be neat, use wire-ties and follow directions and labels on the wires.

Thanks Tom! I agree, follow the guidelines and it all should be good. Just used the Posi-Taps for the first time when I installed hyperlites recently. Pretty cool..I am a little intimidated by taking all that crap off but I'm sure like everything else, it will all come together once I just sit down and do it. I've got the tools and space also. I highly doubt the dealer will be as meticulous as I want it to be so that leaves just me. I wasn't going to add that horn/high beams option. I got the mirror extenders a few weeks ago so I guess I can wait and do everything at the same time..

Can't wait to get these Erica's on!

Gary, I like your volume mount idea. I see that they give you a little "L" piece. Where did you mount the on/off switch? I've seen a few installs where the volume knob is located where the factory heated grips controls would be. I guess I wouldn't mind that however it doesn't seem like an ideal location.
I chose the volume control (dimmer switch) location because I wanted to be able to get at it quickly. Keep in mind the switch isn't lighted, and you often need to adjust it at night when ya can't see it/find it. It really works well there. Just reach up my thumb. The on/off switch is located next to my voltmeter, which by the way, I hope you either have or plan to install. If you have one, great. If not, I hope you'll consider getting one. Below is the location I chose. On my gen 1, there's plenty of room for wires under that location. However, I never use it. It comes on after the bike starts, goes off when the bike is shut off. But rather than using this switch, I do all my controlling with the volume control. Why would I shut it off? You'll have the option to install without the on/off switch, by the way. It's not mandatory.

Anyway, below you'll see my Clearwater switch, located just in front of my voltmeter. It's off right now, as is its little LED indicator light, as the bike isn't running.

IMG_0364-1.jpg

At the last Clearwater group buy, I purchased Glendas with amber lenses, a pair of Ericas, and one of the Andie flashlights. All totally awesome!

This was my solution to the switch mount:

Clearwaters-4.jpg

(The little box velcroed on top is my bluetooth GPS antenna)

Clearwaters rock!

A set of Darlas are on my "to do" list before next season.Hey - I live around 60 miles NE of TC.
No - if I'm going to do this it needs to be the Erica's.When you live in the middle of "Swamp Donkey" country - more is better.

A set of Darlas are on my "to do" list before next season.Hey - I live around 60 miles NE of TC.
No - if I'm going to do this it needs to be the Erica's.When you live in the middle of "Swamp Donkey" country - more is better.
That's exactly what I felt when I ordered my Ericas, no driver, gravel corner, surprise sand patch, or left turn kamikazes scares me like freakin' forest rats! I've nailed 3 deer with my vehicles, it's never a pretty sight even with a 3K lb vehicle! I want as much advance warning as possible when some critter gets frisky and decides to implode on my front PR2! :(

That's exactly what I felt when I ordered my Ericas, no driver, gravel corner, surprise sand patch, or left turn kamikazes scares me like freakin' forest rats! I've nailed 3 deer with my vehicles, it's never a pretty sight even with a 3K lb vehicle! I want as much advance warning as possible when some critter gets frisky and decides to implode on my front PR2!
sad.png
Having "taken one for the team" and having taken two (on separate occasions) forest rats with my FJR, I am here to tell that it's a LOT less fun on a bike :(

My point is that I would not make the buying decision solely on the premise/hope that some more lights will save you, as on both occasions I was running the HIDs on Hi, Soltek HIDs and the 1800 Lm LED driving lights, oh and the damn deer whistle, and those pathetic vermin still attacked my poor FJR.

I chose the volume control (dimmer switch) location because I wanted to be able to get at it quickly. Keep in mind the switch isn't lighted, and you often need to adjust it at night when ya can't see it/find it. It really works well there. Just reach up my thumb. The on/off switch is located next to my voltmeter, which by the way, I hope you either have or plan to install. If you have one, great. If not, I hope you'll consider getting one. Below is the location I chose. On my gen 1, there's plenty of room for wires under that location. However, I never use it. It comes on after the bike starts, goes off when the bike is shut off. But rather than using this switch, I do all my controlling with the volume control. Why would I shut it off? You'll have the option to install without the on/off switch, by the way. It's not mandatory.

Anyway, below you'll see my Clearwater switch, located just in front of my voltmeter. It's off right now, as is its little LED indicator light, as the bike isn't running.

[img=[URL="https://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z351/garyahouse/Clearwater%20lights/IMG_0364-1.jpg%5D"]https://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z351/garyahouse/Clearwater%20lights/IMG_0364-1.jpg][/URL]
Gary,

After re-reading your install on your link I see that you stated that the switch was located on your panel. Sorry for asking that question that was already answered. The switch and meter looks great on the panel. Nice clean install. I'd like to set mine up similarly. Ill probably never shut mine off either but I like having the option to do that. I didnt think about having a voltmeter but for what I have planned for the riding season, it's probably a good idea. You bring up a good point of having to adjust the volume control a lot so mounting on the side panels probably won't be a good idea for me. I'll look to mount the dimmer in a similar location. Thanks for the pics!

Hey Dutch,

Thanks! A ten year project of mine. A total wreck when I got it. Recently sold it but I've still got a 68 Beetle in similar condition. A lot of fun when they work correctly. Air cooled motors have some odd quirks..

So, does anyone use a set of Darlas mounted up high under the mirrors as their only extra lighting? I'm interested in a set of lights, but don't have the money for the Krista or Erica lights.

I was thinking the same thing about using the Darlas on the mirror mount because I like the smaller housing but would still like lights mounted higher up on the bike.

I added Kristas to my bike after the last group buy, and I'm in for this one too. I'm not as worried about the critters since they do what they do regardless of advance notice, or anything else. However, on a ride in North Carolina last year I received some great feedback on the lights from one of the riders in our group. He asked which lights I was running because he could see me coming from a 1/4 mile away. Made me think that even if the cagers don't pay attention to us, seeing the lights from a 1/4 mile away may prompt them to put the cell phone down, at least for second or two.

The last FJR that I bought in the fall had the Kristas already installed on it. My one before that had some POS riding lights. The Kristas are a world better! They light up everything on full and are easy to adjust down. The prior owner of my bike mounted the dimmer pn the left panel near the heated grip control and it still wasn't bad after a little getting used to. Also with a good battery I could run the Kristas, my heated jacket liner and the heated grips together. I would try to shut down the grips and jacket a few minutes before I was going to stop the bike, but i never had battery issues.

BTW, I don't think that riding lights of any kind help with road rats. I've only hit one and was lucky to get away with minor damage on a non FJR. On the other hand I've had many near misses and lights don't seem to change anything except that I might see the rat sooner at night.

So, does anyone use a set of Darlas mounted up high under the mirrors as their only extra lighting? I'm interested in a set of lights, but don't have the money for the Krista or Erica lights.
I was thinking the same thing about using the Darlas on the mirror mount because I like the smaller housing but would still like lights mounted higher up on the bike.
Hey guys, I talked with Glenn and he said the Darlas or Glendas would work fine up on a mirror mount... because you asked I added a price for the FJR specific mirror brackets that come free with the Krista/Erica during the group buy. Normally they add $75 to the lights for FJR brackets, but next month they are $50 if you want a set for the smaller lights. You could also check out Dave's (08FJR4ME) brackets he has fabbed up for sale over here: --- Clicky --- Pretty sure those would work for the Darla/Glenda family, $51 for those.