Clevis setting of aftermarket shock and appropriate spring. Penske/Hyperco

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajBach

Reaction score
Couple of questions.
Here is the straight-to-the-point version

I have a Penske 8983 shock with a Hyperco spring186A1000 (0515). During a recent service, the tech said he felt the spring was too light for me but he isn’t a Penske dealer and the springs he has access to would not fit on the shock. How do I determine what spring is right for me? I am still laden with some Covid weight at about 300 lbs geared up but more realistically my summer weight is 275. But, I almost always ride with 150 pounds plus worth of gear including the weight of the cases.

He also pointed out to me that the clevis on the bottom of the shock can be adjusted to raise the rider height but it can significantly impact the bikes geometry. I was just wondering when to use this adjustment. I like the idea of lifting the rear end as I am 6’6” in my riding boots.

Here’s a more longer winded version for those still waiting for the temperature outside to rise.

So I upgraded to a Penske shock back when GP was in Washington. It was a nice improvement. A few years later, I went to their new location in California to have the suspension serviced. I forget his name but the only tech that was working let me watch the entire procedure. Through discussion, turned out the guy that installed the original shock was the worst person to have done it and didn’t last long there. He had never worked on an FJR before. The new tech in Oxford said the spring I had was too light and just happened to have a heavier one in stock. An amazing improvement! I printed out the invoice for that service and brought it to Shock Therapy here on Vancouver island last week. Ellis serviced the suspension exactly the way GP had but also said the spring was for about a 230 pound rider (which I was back when it was installed). He said it’s not a deal breaker but he would recommend putting in a stiffer one while it was still off the bike. ‘Stated that the rider weight doesn’t take into account the gear or passengers and if I was planning on driving all over N America with tools and camping equipment etc, I should spring it a little stiffer. I am inclined to take his advice but I don’t want to wait to the time it would take to get a third party involved. How can I source the spring required on my own? And, will it make that much of a difference?
This would be the fourth spring I have put on this bike and since I just bought a second FJR for local riding, getting it right would be prudent. But, this brings to question what is the OEM spring geared to? Most of the guys I see on FJRs are pushing 200 pound plus already so I would think that an OEM spring would be suited for that range of weight. So at what point do you fall out of range of a spring and have to upgrade? I pulled the suspension off last week to have it serviced probably with less than 16,000 miles since the last service because last year, the bike felt really squishy/bouncy in turns and didn’t inspire confidence. I had trouble keeping up to a lady on a DR 650 in the group ride I was on.

Let's check some settings first. With your weight, I don't understand the need for a heavier spring. What exactly leads you (symptoms) to believe that?

First, what are the dampening settings set at? Number of clicks from full hard.
What length spring do you have and how much initial preload is on it?
Where is the ride height set at?

Regarding increasing the ride height. I've done that on both FJR and Tenere to slightly quicken the steering and when loaded, stay closer to stock geometry. Works wonders. I'd begin with 3-4 mm between jamb nut and clevis. If jamb nut is tight against clevis then you're at stock shock length.

For replacement springs, check out RESuspension or other on-line retailers. The FJR Penske normally uses 2.25" X 6". Hypercoil or Eibach work equally well.

Good luck.

~G

Let's check some settings first. With your weight, I don't understand the need for a heavier spring. What exactly leads you (symptoms) to believe that?

~G
These are the settings direct from invoice from GP suspension. I've never messed with them.

On the last rides last year, I noticed the bike really didn't seem to want to stay leaned in a turn, was harder to enter a turn but mostly did not track while in a turn. Also seemed a little bouncy while turning, Like if I hit a small bump, it would take a few hops to settle. Just felt overall spongy.

Plus, the guy who just serviced the shock said the spring that was in there (Hyperco 1000) was for a 230 pound rider. That doesn't include baggage. With my gear and stuff, I am easily 350 lbs.
He said it wasn't a deal big deal but considering the small cost and the fact the shock is out of the bike, may be smart to get a stiffer spring.
Like you, he also stated that lifting the rear via the clevis would make the bike want to turn in more and can lead to instability. Its mostly used for aggressive track riding.
Forks:
Preload: 6 turns
Rebound: 12 Clicks
Compression: 12 Clicks
Internal preload: 6
Oil Height: 140
Oil Weight: 5 Weight
Fork Seals: OEM

Shock:
Installed Preload: 10
Rebound: 14
High Speed Compression: 8
Oil Weight: 3 Weight
PSI: 180
Rear Spring weight: 10000 (possible misprint on invoice?)

pe.pngpe.png

Sweet. Have you double-checked the settings? The adjusters at the tops of each can be moved easier than I would prefer and I have noticed that sometimes something bumps them a click or 5.

You really need to measure your SAG. With the bike loaded the way you will ride it most. That is the ONLY way to determine how close the current spring is for your needs. So, get a friend, google measuring rear SAG, and get to it.

Is the shock out of bike? If so, check these last couple things to confirm information you've been given.

Have you witnessed the 1000# marking on spring? If not, consider pulling spring to confirm. Marking is on one flattened end of spring.
Measure spring length as installed. With ~10mm preload it should be ~142mm (5-5/8").

Reinstall the shock. I'd start with rebound at 12 clicks from full hard and 12-15mm of preload. Add a touch of ride height. Loosen jamb nut and adjust clevis to end up with ~4mm between jamb nut and top of clevis flat. Penske manual link.

Echoing Skooter...check SAG and see how she rides.

~G

Is the shock out of bike? If so, check these last couple things to confirm information you've been given.

Have you witnessed the 1000# marking on spring? If not, consider pulling spring to confirm. Marking is on one flattened end of spring.
Measure spring length as installed. With ~10mm preload it should be ~142mm (5-5/8").

Reinstall the shock. I'd start with rebound at 12 clicks from full hard and 12-15mm of preload. Add a touch of ride height. Loosen jamb nut and adjust clevis to end up with ~4mm between jamb nut and top of clevis flat. Penske manual link.

Echoing Skooter...check SAG and see how she rides.

~G
Yes to both of those things. I should be putting her together soon.