• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Closed: GenII/III Rear Seat Replacing Auxiliary Tank – a.k.a. Tag-Along Tank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe2Lmaker

Reaction score
I am offering for sale what I consider the ideal auxiliary tank for the GenII & Gen III FJR.

I'm pretty sure this is already the number one selling auxiliary tank for the GenII/III FJR, and this will soon surpass the Tanji tank as the number one selling auxiliary tank for all FJRs.

A considerable amount of effort has gone into the development of this tank. For those not familiar with that effort, please read the thread, Auxiliary Cell Design. <Link> This Tag-Along-Tank idea began as a tangent on <Page 2> of that thread

The tank's capacity is 4.797 gallons. It attaches directly to the bike's rear subframe. Capacity, comfort, safety, and ease of use are all important attributes and I believe this design delivers on all counts at an exceptional value.

The fringe benefits are certainly subjective, but worth mentioning.
The shape compliments the FJR. They look as if they were made for one another.
The center of gravity is low, a plus for those of us who ride long distances to experience spectacular, curving roads.

What is included:

DSC05216.JPG
- -
IMG_0129.JPG
- -
IMG_0130.JPG

One Tag-Along Tank for GenII/III FJR
One Panel mount valve (McMaster-Carr P/N 4118T62)
One NPT X 5/16" elbow fitting (Edelmann P/N 831250)
Three1/8" NPT X 5/16" fittings (Edelmann P/N 820250)
One short length of 5/16" dia fuel line.
Two replacement bushings for the FJR's stock grabrail.
Two rubber bumpers for the tank's front supports (McMaster-Carr P/N 9310K124)

One very important note:
Although every effort has been made to ensure that this tank will function as suitable auxiliary container for the GenII/III FJR, I am an imperfect human being.
By using one of these containers you are participating in an unscientific test. You should plan on sharing your experience using this tank. Others will benefit from that knowledge, and your expertise will be useful to improve future builds.

The price to participate in this unscientific trial is:
$868.00, plus packaging and shipping.
Packaging cost $9.19
Shipping varies by UPS zone, centered on Minneapolis.
So, if you stop by my place to pick it up, you save about 30 bucks.

257474-joe2lmaker-albums-rear-seat-replacing-auxiliary-tank-k-tag-along-tank-picture7658-5-16-2017-9-37-17-am.jpg

A recent group buy posted January 16, 2016 ran into some complications. New ownership of the fabrication shop I've been working with resulted in the loss of their documentation and tooling required to build my tanks. As a result, there were delays, scrapped out tanks and in the end, the whole process needed to be repeated from the beginning.

I ended up with an extra tank, and learned some very valuable lessons.

Lessons learned:
When someone wants one of these tanks, they want it now. They don't want to have to organize a group buy and try to persuade others to participate so that the minimum number requirements are met.
When someone wants one of these tanks, they certainly do not want to have to wait while the fab shop and I sort out scheduling, dimensional tolerances, leak test requirements, etc.

So, beginning with this extra tank, I have decided to have a few tanks on hand. They will be packaged and ready to ship. No more group buy delays. No more uncertain delivery dates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok Joe....I've been researching aux tanks for the last couple of months. I like this clean solution. Are there any issues with attaching the tank to the subframe if Gary's "stiffy kit" is being used?

Very interested in knowing what the price will be. Subscribed to this thread.....

01VFR has a solution that works for him. I sent some taller replacement grab rail bushings to him as part of that solution. He offered to share the description with photos, etc.

I haven't had the time to collect the info and add it to the Design Thread

I have also contacted Gary.

I think the Tag-Along with a Stiffy Kit would be da bomb.

It sounds like Garauld and 01VFR have worked out the fit of the Tag-Along with a Stiffy Kit.

More information on that to follow. (The Design Thread is probably the best place to put that)

Also, I updated the first post in this thread with the pricing information.