• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

CLOSED-Ohlins YA-036 Gen-II Rear Shock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaulinAshe

Reaction score
THIS GROUP BUY IS OFFICIALLY CLOSED. ALL PARTICIPANTS SHOULD HAVE RECEIVED EMAIL WITH FINAL INSTRUCTIONS. IF NOT, PM Me.

HA

The Ohlins YA-036 is identical to the YA-707, but DOES NOT include the remote preload adjuster. This is a great shock for solo riders or those doing only occasional 2-up miles.

This GroupBuy requires advance payment to Cogent Dynamics in order to participate. Since the GB is limited to available quantity in stock, shipping should easily be within two weeks of payment. The YA-036 currently retails for $909. Our discount is substantial.

PM me for the GroupBuy price if interested.

HaulinAshe

Last edited by a moderator:
I've received a lot of inquiries and several people have already committed to participate. Everyone please remember to EMAIL the information I listed to me directly, because I must compile a final list of participants, help determine the correct spring rates for each shock, and basically submit a single order for everyone at once.

Then it will be up to each individual to make payment directly to Cogent, AFTER I forward the details.

This GB will be closing quickly (probably before April 1) in order for everyone to get their shock before existing stock is depleted. So don't procrastinate, decide and communicate!!!

:)

We have met the minimum required participants for this group buy. The GB will be closing out by March 31. Those participating will be receiving final instructions from me (via email) after we close.

If you are on the fence about this Group Buy, time is running out.

A quick thanks to Jeff for arranging this GB and lightening my wallet even further. :p Spoke with the people at Cogent today and they are shipping my very own, personalized, perfectly setup (I am sure since Jeff gave them spring rate suggestions) Ohlins by Friday! New shock by next week! :yahoo: This means I will have a Gen II shock for sale - only 8200 miles on it - anyone interested?

I also talked with Joyce this morning. What nice people! Can't wait to get that new shock on next week. Thanks for setting up the gb Jeff. Just what we needed as the season starts.

Have mine on the way as well. Seemed like very nice folks with a good knowledge of the shocks and what I needed. Thanks so much for organizing this, Jeff.

Gene

Received my pretty new shock today. As I bought this because of the price and will install later in the year once I put some more miles on my bike, I would love to hear from those who are installing it right away. Any tips before I plunge into the fall install would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again to Jeff for this buy, the price and all of the dealings with the Cogent folks and of course Jeff were 1st rate and hassle free.

Gene

Got my pretty new shock today and after a 2 hour install she was all bolted up. Took a quick 1/2 hour ride with the wife over some very rough roads and through some ok twistys. It's fantastic and a huge improvement for 2 people over the stock shock. The primary purchase reason was for the wifes comfort and my cornering clearance. It does both very well. Firm but plush is the way I'd describe it. Adjust the settings and the sport factor goes way up! From a drivers perspective it's a great. Bike feels even more planted and now it wants to go another 10-15 mph faster. The effect of a passenger is much less noticeable too.

The install was a bit of a pia compared to other bikes in my opinion. A few notes on the top bolt for the shock mount. The abs bracket on the right side gets in the way. Don't remove the bolts holding it on to each side! Just grab a mini crowbar and lever it up a quarter of an inch and you can sneak through. Much easier than trying to figure out other ways and not a intuitive approach either. Other wise just follow the process and have a factory service guide available for torque values etc. And don't fall for all the walkthroughs that show it on non abs models. It's much more crowded and will take longer.

I'll post a more detailed response after a few thousand miles but for now I'm very impressed especially for the value. Usually I figure people are trying to justify $2000+ on suspension and can't even outride the stock stuff. However for 2 up it appears to be a big jump up in comfort and performance.