Clutch damper spring upside down

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDavis07

Reaction score
I had a balky clutch on a 2007 model with 3700 miles.

I disassembled the clutch to check for black grease like some 2007 owners

experienced.

There was no sign of any contaminate but i did find by reading the shop manual

that the clutch damper spring was installed backwards. The damper spring

is at the bottom of the clutch pack and is between the final driven plate and the clutch

boss or center basket the steel plate teeth fit into. It appears to push the last steel

plate outward on clutch release.

The white dot was facing inward to the bottom of the clutch boss. I reversed it

on assembly and soaked the friction plates in oil. This is only shown in picture form

in the manual. The only white dot refered to is on the soft damper seat.

I do not see that reversing this piece would have much effect but it did fit into

its soft seat better and the assembled released height might be very slightly less.

I did not measure and compare I observed this by flipping the part over. The final

steel plate had a shiny strip where the spring had contacted it.

When I tested it the clutch, it released perfectly and did not become balky with full

warmup as it had. This is FYI and might have been peculiar to my bike.

best

Davis

When I tested it the clutch, it released perfectly and did not become balky with fullwarmup as it had. This is FYI and might have been peculiar to my bike.

best

Davis
What happens when your clutch is Balky, like it dosen't fully disengage?? Please explain More on what your symptoms where.

When I tested it the clutch, it released perfectly and did not become balky with fullwarmup as it had. This is FYI and might have been peculiar to my bike.

best

Davis
What happens when your clutch is Balky, like it dosen't fully disengage?? Please explain More on what your symptoms where.
I would be interested too. My bike I'm sure needs the plates soakedn too, because every time I start it (with the clutch pulled in) it jumps forward a bit. I have almost 20K miles on it and it's not getting worse, however it's not getting better either. When I get the valves adjusted at 24K I will have the dealer soak the clutch plates (hopefully) under the YES warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Chris

Yeah you're right more subjective than information.

What I meant by a balky clutch:

It would work inconsistantly; smooth cold and not disengage

completely when warm sometimes. Seemed affected by temperature

but no set pattern of operation. This was after running the engine for

several minutes or more.

1) The transmission would shift well when cold but not warm.

erratic harsh engagement into first from neutral after warmup. A 'clunk'

instead of the ballpoint pen 'click' Not every time but worse on hot days.

3-4 shift was a bit clunky also.

The neutral to first is very quiet now and it is easy to run quickly through the

gears.

Hope this helps,

Davis/

NIghtrider

I would be interested too. My bike I'm sure needs the plates soaked too, because every time I start it (with the clutch pulled in) it jumps forward a bit. I have almost 20K miles on it and it's not getting worse, however it's not getting better either. When I get the valves adjusted at 24K I will have the dealer soak the clutch plates (hopefully) under the YES warranty.

while i haven't tore into the clutch yet i am pretty sure it is a "wet" clutch so it is always soaking in oil. if it is a "dry" clutch it certainly doesn't sound like my ducati's dry clutch.

I would be interested too. My bike I'm sure needs the plates soaked too, because every time I start it (with the clutch pulled in) it jumps forward a bit. I have almost 20K miles on it and it's not getting worse, however it's not getting better either. When I get the valves adjusted at 24K I will have the dealer soak the clutch plates (hopefully) under the YES warranty.

while i haven't tore into the clutch yet i am pretty sure it is a "wet" clutch so it is always soaking in oil. if it is a "dry" clutch it certainly doesn't sound like my ducati's dry clutch.
If you do a search you find that this is a well know problem with GEN 2 bikes. When Yamaha assemble the bike there seems to be a bunch that didn't have there clutch plates soaked in oil before installation. This causes the clutch plates to stick, especially when it's cold. Yes it's a wet clutch, and supposely once the plates are soaked the're fine, but if there not originally soaked prior to installation the engine oil will not be enough to unstick them.

If you do a search you find that this is a well know problem with GEN 2 bikes. When Yamaha assemble the bike there seems to be a bunch that didn't have there clutch plates soaked in oil before installation. This causes the clutch plates to stick, especially when it's cold. Yes it's a wet clutch, and supposely once the plates are soaked the're fine, but if there not originally soaked prior to installation the engine oil will not be enough to unstick them.
chris, thanks for the info. whenever i had seen clutch's installed without soaking it burned the fibers causing the clutch to slip and forcing replacement. i learned something today so it was not wasted.