Clutch drag and clunky gear change

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

entonox

Reaction score
Hi all. any advice on my 08 FJR1300. Clutch only just disengages and the gear change is quite clunky, rough.

The bike has 12500 ( allegedly) Just has 12000service. Motul 5100 semi-synth oil. Clutch fluid changed and bled......but the clutch is awful and gear change rough.

Had to set clutch lever span adjuster all way out to get some clutch.......... it' bits as soon as you start to let the lever out.

Thanks.Terry

Bleed again. The fjr clutch is very sensitive to even the smallest amount of air. If that doesn't do the trick, you may want to do a clutch soak. Search the forum for this oft-discussed/explained procedure.

Every hydraulic clutch in which I've changed the fluid always has required bleeding at the banjo bolt at the master cylinder to get all the air out, YMMV.

Every hydraulic clutch in which I've changed the fluid always has required bleeding at the banjo bolt at the master cylinder to get all the air out, YMMV.
Yep. I use one of those mity-vac things, pumped up to as much vacuum as I can, and it seems to do the job OK. If I had to bleed the traditional way, I'd bleed the banjo.

You might want to invest in one of these

%24_12.JPG

More details here

You might want to invest in one of these
%24_12.JPG

More details here
Well, I am done for the day! I just learned something new. Haven't had any issues requiring these, but good information. Didn't even know they existed. Probably would have been useful on previous bikes. Thanks for the info!