Clutch question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregory

Great things are afoot
Reaction score
So,

In January I bought a pristine 1983 Toyota Celica GTS, 67K on the clock. Flew out to Omaha and drove her back with no issues. Weather warms up and I start having issues with the clutch. Started with the petal "sticking" at about the halfway return point after I used it. I would release the clutch petal, it would come back up about half way, pause, then sort of "snap" back all the way up. The tranny shifted normal, there was no clutch slippage happening, everything was normal except the petal return. So I figure that maybe I got a leak/air in the system and go to bleed they system, but I figure I might as well replace the master and slave cylinder as they are 37 years old at this point. I replace all the parts (except the rubber hose that bridges the hard line on the body to the transmission) and blow out the hard line with air because the fluid is probably original and is in pretty rank condition. Put everything back together, bleed the system and all is great. Then bam, two days later the symptoms return. Check for leaks and there are non, re-bleed the system, no air bubbles. Clutch comes back for a bit, but basically the same thing happens. I do loose pressure, but can bring it back with pumping the clutch up. So I have 2 areas that I want to look at. The rubber hose, perhaps it has torn some of the lining inside that is causing my issues or, and this is my question, the clutch its self? Could it need to be replaced because it is 37 years old? IT clutch, when working, works as it should with no slipping.

TIA,

Greg

I would go after the hose first because it's easier to do and hoses have been known to go bad on the inside. The clutch is just a mechanical device and is probably just fine. The fact that you can make it good for a bit with bleeding says it's in the hydraulics somewhere. Have fun.