Clutch slave cylinder seal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harald

"Superior Gen 4" Rider
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I've noticed that there was some "oil" leaking near the oil filler cap on my 115,000 mile FJR. I figured that the Harley Davidson highway pegs I installed 100,000 miles ago finally corrupted the FJR. :) LOL I snugged up all the bolts in the area and checked the filler cap O ring, yet the seepage continued. The source finally revealed itself this past weekend when the clutch lever stopped fully disengaging the clutch when pulled all the way to the bar. I had to keep the engine reving a little or it would die at stop lights. Checking the clutch reservoir when I got home revealed the problem - dangerously low clutch fluid. And you can guess what the source of my "oil" leak was now.

Checking the online parts houses and I see that you cannot order just the slave cylinder seal?! I checked any possible related drawings and didn't see anything. A search of the forum showed no discussion on this seal. I had considered changing to the Gen I (and also 2009 and later) slave cylinder and decided this would be a good time to go for it. The $99 Part is on order and should be here soon.

So has anyone found just the seal for the clutch slave? I probably would have replaced a $10 seal rather than a $99 assembly if it was available, but at least I'll get the easier clutch pull advantage with the Gen I cylinder now.

You can find this seal only here,and only for Gen1 slave cylinder,but it isn't cheap..https://www.fjrcatalogue.com/catalog/item/7467760/8718110.htm
You're not kidding about the price. I imagine it would cost half the cost of a whole new slave assembly once you ship it to the USA. And it still wouldn't fix my 2007.
sad.png
I told you that it isn't cheap..And it is only for a Gen1..Even if you had a Gen 1 slave cylinder does not worth the money!The best way is a brand new from a Gen1..
winksmiley02.gif
smile.png

This part "should" be available from any Yamaha dealer.

I say this because of its mention in the Owner's Manual.

From page 6-7 of my manual:

NOTE: (at the end of the Periodic Maintenance and Minor Repair chart.)

-- Hydraulic brake and clutch systems

"Replace the oil seals on the inner parts of the brake or clutch master cylinders, caliper cylinders, and clutch release cylinder every two years."

How can you replace the clutch release cylinder oil seal every two years if your local Yamaha dealer doesn't offer it for sale?

This part "should" be available from any Yamaha dealer.
I say this because of its mention in the Owner's Manual.

From page 6-7 of my manual:

NOTE: (at the end of the Periodic Maintenance and Minor Repair chart.)

-- Hydraulic brake and clutch systems

"Replace the oil seals on the inner parts of the brake or clutch master cylinders, caliper cylinders, and clutch release cylinder every two years."

How can you replace the clutch release cylinder oil seal every two years if your local Yamaha dealer doesn't offer it for sale?
Unfortunately,this @&%$#@ seal is not available nowhere...Not only in a Yamaha dealer,but nowhere...

OD X ID X width + style...some manufacturer has to make the seal for Yamaha.

Went through the same frustration chasing down unidentified Penske shock parts - I was not defeated!

--G

I have a couple of gen 1 clutch slaves sitting around, let me know if you still need one. $40.00 plus shipping