CMRA Race Get Together

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for sharing the pics guys !!! I'll do my best to make the Oct. races ! July is just too hot for me. Again, Mucho Gracias Comarades !!!

Bobby

You guys are too funny about the spectator lap. My thanks go to Gary (LGFT) for being a great host and guide in the area. Thanks to David (FJR Bandit) for riding most of the way up and back with me. And thanks to all that showed up and for those of you that didn't I hope I get to see you next time.

It was good meeting you guys there.

Somehow, that PIC 1 doesn't seem to do me justice....... I'm normally much goofier looking than that.

Oh, for those who wanted proof that I actually used to do that stuff, here's a pic of me in the horseshoe. The spectator and car in the background are where we watched the races from.

AA512x384.jpg

Ok, here come the photos... for any interested, I've got higher res. versions of these as well...

Friday afternoon... took off from Southeast Houston, headed for Bryan/College Station... hot, 2+ hours later, we arrive at the HoJo...

At%20the%20hotel1.jpg

A few hours later, joined by Geezer, TWILKIN650, and FJRSTAR, we drove over to a little Mexican restaurant for dinner. Looks like Scott is praying after eating some of the salsa verde....

Friday%20dinner.jpg

Then Saturday morning, the same gang of 4 took off early (to beat the heat), and took a nice roll through the Texas hills, curves, and straights...

Saturday%20morning2.jpg

Until we stopped in Burton for breakfast...

Saturday%20morning4.jpg

After another couple hours ride near Lake Sommerville and twisty roads galore, it was time for a power nap.... we then proceeded to the Texas World Speedway, where a 6 hour endurance race was underway.

Endurance9.jpg

Geezer's mechanic was racing, so we went down to the pits and sat around with them for a while. They were first in their class, and finished that way at the end of the day! Here they are changing riders...

Endurance3.jpg

and away he goes....

Endurance4.jpg

Right after this they had a red flag come out, so they all had to pit... following which they had a restart...

Endurance7.jpg

We then walked across the infield to a couple of the corners, where these guys are flying, and all there is between you and them is this little metal guardrail... cool! Here's the same corner Outrace was in above....

Endurance15a.jpg

After the races, we got cleaned up, tagged up with StexFJR, and FJRBandit, and headed out to dinner...

continued.....

Part 2...

Saturday%20dinner1.jpg

Yes, we let Geezer lead with that Yellow beastie... he knew where the restaurant was. No, we didn't play Bingo, or go dancing (although I think Bandit and STex may have snuck back later in the evening under the guise of going to Best Buy), and it was pure coincidence that the local law enforcement reps. were there too.

Saturday%20dinner2.jpg

It appears Scott is still praying, allthough in this case, it was probably for Dewayne's humorous anecdote to end... :lol:

This was followed by a good night's rest, and another early morning ride on Sunday, once again led by Geezer... back on his FJR once again...

Sunday%20morning2.jpg

A couple of Geezer's non-FJR riding friends tagged along for the ride, which took us over some great roads to the east of College Station.. through a really pretty Park road, and then.... back to the track for more races!!!

Sprint%20start2.jpg

Sprint%20start3.jpg

We took advantage of the shade under the stands as well....

Enjoying%20the%20shade.jpg

...although that straw hat of Geezer's was on the ground more than on his head, and I'm not sure why Bandit was wearing a baby carrier.... :D

Shortly after this, it was time to head home, after a thoroughly wonderful weekend. Can't wait to do it again real soon! Heck, maybe I'll take a parade lap next time... I think I can take the golf cart...and the mini-pit bike, unlike some MSF instructors we know....

Parade%20lap5.jpg

There are no spectators to speak of.....ever.

$5 entry for the day (if you're on a bike) and nobody shows up.

Wives, husbands, BFs, GFs, SOs, etc get dragged along, but spectators are few and far between. I'll bet there weren't 100 people there who just showed up to watch.

Geezer told me the story about that... Apparently they didn't do a really good job of surveying/prepping the site before they built those bleachers outside the track, and the back portion started to sink at some point in time. They "condemmed" them after that, along with the press boxes, and now all the spectators are on the infield. Seems like quite a waste, but that's the story...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I missed this one. Hope to make the October round. Glad Andre was there as a "color commentator".

TWS has a looooooooooooooooooong and checkered history. At one point, there was one or more Winston Cup races there. Unfortunately, it was built right before the gas crises of the `70's, and being equally distant (sort of) from Houston, Austin and San Antonio, it never drew good crowds when gas went over a buck a gallon (gasp!).

I's suffered from indifferent and sporadic upkeep, part of the reason for the grandstand problems.

It's been in and out of bankruptcy and had any number of owners, including one who turned it into a hippy commune.

The commune era led to the deterioration of the facilities while racing trucks (cabover and conventionals from the 18-wheelers) badly marred the track surface itself. Fortunately, the SCCA and CMRA/CRRC have managed to keep it busy enough in the past decade or so to pay for some restoration/improvements.

Oh, and you haven't lived until you dive into turn one on a 750 or larger while shouting inside your helmet, "Keep it pinned!"

Dewayne,

Excellent report and pictures!

I liked riding towards home with you as leader as well.

I like nice brisk, safe paces that can be had easily while riding the FJR.

I kept thinking we must look like three bumble bees buzzing down the road to most cagers. A few cagers moved over to let us by.

I did see the smallest Catholic church in Round Top off 237.

This bike amazes me every time I ride it. What a rush!

Glad you and David made it back home safe.

Hope to ride with all soon again.

Ride Safe.

Later on...

Daniel,

That was a cool reminder that we need to make the October FJR get together a reality for us and more Texas FJR riders.

There is nothing like watching Gary then you dissappear around a curve ahead of me and Tim as we tried to keep up.

I am glad you took the position you did so that I could watch and learn from you both.

I really need to work on my confidence through the curves. You did good following Gary except for when you sneezed in your helmet around that curve after breakfast in Burton. You did scare me a little. I am glad I did not fixate on you and follow you.

Hopefully we can make the October gathering happen more enjoyable and with more participants.

Btw, why aren't you in any of the pictures? :p I do have some but I have to get them developed.

Let's try to hook up at the next Hamburger Wednesday at the Ice House in Angleton.

Ride Safe.

Later on...

Gary,

Thanks for leading the rides and showing us some places to grub in that area. You ride much better than the "geezer" I had imagined. You can lead any time.

Hope to make the October FJR get together. I had fun. It should be cooler next time I guess.

Ride Safe.

Later on...

"Scott, Sorry about crowding you....I was looking for you in my right mirror. I was getting ready to turn around and go back for you when you scared the shit out of me in my left mirror."

David,

Good to see you again.

Are you referring to the hill/curve climb in La Grange?

No sweat on that, I crowded you.

You and Dewayne sure can keep the pace going. That did not last near long enough. Before I knew it, I was having to break off at I-10.

Hope to ride with all of you again at the October get together.

Ride Safe.

Later on...

Tim,

It was good to see you again. Thanks for buying that Mexican supper for all of us.

I needed that second brew after trying that salsa verde. The red one was mild compared to the green.

Hope to see you again soon, maybe at the next Hamburger Wednesday and at the October FJR get together.

Maybe we can ride up to College Station from Cypress or somewhere near. Forget the slab though, let's ride the back roads there. We have to practice keeping up with Gary and Daniel in the twisties.

If you feel like riding sometime during your time off, call me (979-299-9113-leave message) and maybe we can do a lunch or supper ride in your area or near mine. I do not mind riding after dark. I just need to be more alert and careful.

Ride Safe.

Later on...

You did good following Gary except for when you sneezed in your helmet around that curve after breakfast in Burton. You did scare me a little.
I can just see the headline...

MOTORCYCLIST KILLED WHILE SNEEZING (and then running into oncoming traffic)

"MOTORCYCLIST KILLED WHILE SNEEZING (and then running into oncoming traffic)"

Daniel,

I did not see anyone coming in my peripheral, but my peripheral has lied to me before. You did scare me.

Ride safe, friend.

Later on......