Coast Of Maine

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gypsy

667 - Neighbour of the Beast
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am leaving Halifax on Thursday (Sept 1st) and plan to take a couple days to ride to Providence, RI. Then I will be riding back to Canada on Sunday and Monday. I have ridden the coast of Maine years ago but the memory starts fading after 40. :) Is there anywhere I should definitely go? I figured I would ride down to the Camden area and stay there Thursday night. If any one is in the area and fancies having a beer let me know.

gypsy

Well, if you have time it is always nice to ride up Cadillac mountain in Acadia National Park near Bar Harbor. In fact there are some other nice roads and interesting sights in Acadia as well. I also like the Boothbay area for general nice coastline scenery.

Gypsy....Camden is agreat town, and there are many places to stay as well as lots of restaurants and bars within walking distance of numerous hotels, motels, and B&B's. Ilive in Camden, unfortunately I won't be around on Sept 1st, sorry I'll miss that beer. Have a great time

I will also be up in the Rockland/Camden area this weekend visiting the parents in Owls Head. I'll be riding up either Friday late or early Saturday and returning Sunday night. Make sure you check out the Show at Owls Head Transpertation museam on Sunday. Hopefully, I'll meet some other FJR people there.

Jeffrey

Gypsy/Jeffery...If either of you are in Camden or Rockland on Sat. nite come to the Waterfont Rest. on Camden harbor for a drink. Also, I'll be at the show at the transportation mumeum on Sunday.

Tim

For anyone interested..There is a Vintge Motorcycle Meet at the Owl's Head

Transportation Museum in Owls Head, Maine on Sept 4th featuring hundreds of vintage and new motorcycles, should be lots of fun for all. If you are riding in Maine Labor Day Weekend you might want to come. Owls head is near Rockland, ME.

Tim

Thanks for that info guys. I am going to do my best to make it to the show. I will be driving up from Providence on Sunday.

gypsy

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely stay off Route 1 from Kittery to Portland;tons of traffic. A better road with less traffic and no lights is picking up Route 202 on the border which has a lot of country scenic riding. Once in Augusta take Route 17 to the coast to avoid the mid-coast Rt. 1 traffic;it will dump you out at Rockland, just below Camden, Have fun. :D

Definitely stay off Route 1 from Kittery to Portland;tons of traffic. A better road with less traffic and no lights is picking up Route 202 on the border which has a lot of country scenic riding. Once in Augusta take Route 17 to the coast to avoid the mid-coast Rt. 1 traffic;it will dump you out at Rockland, just below Camden, Have fun. :D
Still bad, eh? Been that way for twenty years now. Best time to be there is Jan or Feb. Grey Gull Inn in Wells Beach... great blueberry pancakes and nice time for a walk on the (cold - brrrr!) beach.

If you are coming up from Providence, and plan to make the show, then you better stick to the expressway as that is quite a distance. A lot of the bikes start clearing out around 2 PM and the peak attendance is around noon. Mapquest shows it as 255 miles and almost 5 hours by I-95 and Rt 1 after Brunswick ME.

If you decide to come up real early in the morning, you are welcome to join our group leaving out of Rochester NH. ( 142 miles @ 2 ½ hours from Providence ) We depart from the McDonalds off Exit 14 of RT 16 promptly at 8 AM. We will be showing up there (at McDonalds) at 7:30AM. We head up via 202 and some back roads to Brunswick and Rt 1 to the event.

Ohtm.org if you want to check out the museum’s site.

Martin

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be heading up Friday night after traffic or Saturday morning EARLY from Boston. If anyone else is interested in riding up with me let me know?

Jeffrey