Coast to coast to coast, Part II

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJReady

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
So I got a few of my buddy's pics to mix in with my own from our trip from San Francisco back to Massachusetts, via San Diego.

It was a pretty foggy overcast day (Sept 11th) when we started heading south. Didn't stop us from enjoying the beautiful Pacific scenery.

Picture235.jpg

Bikepictures2009024.jpg

Destination that night was Morro Bay which was so fogged in that night we didn't see the bay part until following morning:

Bikepictures2009031.jpg

We meandered along the coast that morning and ended up in Santa Barbara for lunch.

Bikepictures2009047.jpg

Bikepictures2009044.jpg

After walking around and checking out the docks, we geared up for the ride to SanDiego.

We weren't prepared for that fookin LA traffic. Neither of us had lane split before this day. We learned real quick. This was near Downey CA I think. Note to self: avoid LA if ever in California again. No offense to those that live here. I'm sure it's fine if you know the region.

Bikepictures2009052.jpg

We eventually made it to San Diego and had a great time there. Very pretty beach, lots of scenery to check out, moving as well as stationary.

The next day we were heading to Julian CA and points east. We had a nice but HOT ride that day. I think we saw 105 deg in Brawley?? CA. Then across some really neat sand dune area heading toward Kingman, AZ. The desert can be so beautiful, but I am sure glad I didn't break down out there this day. An exteneded visit on a hot sunny day would be a challenge!

Picture256.jpg

We didn't take many photos along this stretch. Happy to get to Kingman and find a place to stay. Ran into a bunch of guys from the Netherlands at the hotel. They were all on rented Harleys touring the SW. That must be quite a change from the homeland for them.

The next day we made it to the Grand Canyon South Rim around noon. I'm sure you've all seen pictures of the Grand Canyon before so I'll keep it short. It is beautiful after all- have to have a couple:

Bikepictures2009079.jpg

Lots of these California Condors flying overhead.

Bikepictures2009090.jpg

Toward east end of Canyon-

Bikepictures2009091.jpg

Picture261.jpg

That afternoon we headed toward Page, AZ enroute to the North Rim. This was also a very pretty ride. It made me realize that I could probably spend two weeks just in AZ and UT and just scrape the surface of all the good roads out here.

Picture268.jpg

Lake Powell:

Picture278.jpg

Bikepictures2009097.jpg

Then we headed back west from Lake Powell to get to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. It is a nice ride down ther and the trip is worth it. I enjoyed the view from the north side better that the south. We had lunch at the beautiful lodge there. A great place to visit. Someday I hope to go back for a longer one.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/FJR...ures2009118.jpg

Bikepictures2009106.jpg

Picture291.jpg

Bikepictures2009106.jpg

That afternoon were were heading toward Bryce Canyon. Found a place to stay in Panguitch UT. Can say I would recommend the town as a resort destination. Limited food options, no nitelife to speak of. But we made the best of it- drank some Tequila in the motel front lawn. Found a nice wooden bench there.

The next morning we got out of town early to head to Bryce. A chilly start but it warmed up nice once the sun had a couple hours to work.

Bryce is just dang beautiful. No two ways about it. I'll try to be brief.

Picture312.jpg

Picture316.jpg

Picture317.jpg

Bikepictures2009139.jpg

Bikepictures2009140.jpg

Between us we probably have 50 pictures of Bryce. And we only saw a small part of it. Highly recommended!

When we leaft Bryce we headed north up along Utah rt 12. Can't say enough good things about this road. As you head north to Torrey, it just keeps climbing and climbing. Great scenery, thrilling road, teriffic views along the way. We had lunch in Torrey at a Subway type place, then proceeded east to Capitol Reef. WOW. I don't think I have photos. Doesn't matter. Its another place you just have to see. Breathtaking.

From there we headed northeast toward our destination for the day: Moab Utah. Just when you thought you've seen all the beautiful red rocks possible in one day, you find yourself surrounded again in Moab. We liked this place- decided it too was worth a return trip.

We wanted to stay here but it was booked up:

Bikepictures2009149.jpg

So we found a room (cheaper too) here:

Bikepictures2009151.jpg

Riding out of Moab the next day:

Picture344.jpg

Agirl had previously recommended this road (Rt 128) east of Moab, should we find ourselves there. I am so glad I remembered and took her advice. This section of road along the Colorado River was probably the most scenic part of the trip. The road was fantastic too. I would have taken more photos but I didn't want to stop!

Picture349.jpg

About 1000 ago I realized I had an out of balance tire (rear). I called a friend back home to have him look up a shop in the Grand Junction CO area that would have faciloities to balance a tire. Got the address and phone number. Later that day pulled into Grand Valley Power Sports. Told them I would like to have the rear tire balanced- Shop guy says no problem, they were'nt too busy. I had that wheel off in five minutes.

Bikepictures2009155.jpg

Tech said it needed 25 grams. No wonder it felt ugly. I must have thrown a weight.. Back together in 20 minutes. Shop guy wouldn't charge me for the service. Said he was glad to help out a guy on the road. I gave the tech a nice tip and rolled on. Later that day we stopped at wallyworld in Craig CO for another parking lot oil change (and lunch) One stop service for all your needs!

Bikepictures2009157.jpg

We spent the afternoon in Steamboat Springs CO enjoying the scenery and a couple margheritas at a roof top cafe. We visited a friend while there, had a nice dinner, did some suvenier (sp??) shopping for the girls back home and got a good nights sleep. The next day we were heading for the Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park north of Granby CO.

The pictures get thin at about this point. The pass up in Rocky Mtn Natl Park was smother by a large moisture laden cloudy that proceeded to dump liquid and frozen precipitation on us. No problem but it was tough to get good photos. We eventually made it to Ft Morgan CO later that day. We happened to run into a big car show being held there and got to get up clase and personal with several excellent 60's and 70's muscle cars mixed in with a nice variety of many other vintage wheels. Just lucky to catch it that weekend. Also had a couple beers at a bar with toilet seats hanging on the walls. Interesting crowd at that joint.

Well, I've gone through all the images I've loaded on photobucket. I have a few more from Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Michigan, Ontario, and New York and Vermont. but they don't add a whole lot to this report. I may add later as a summary and wrap up etc.

The total trip for me was just over 9100 miles. I spent 24 days on the bike and one day sightseeing in San Francisco. I had a glorious time and pray I get to do it again someday. I'm very grateful for being able to have this wonderful adventure.

My FJR was a perfect machine for this trip. Not even one slight hiccup (other than the tire balance which was no fault of the bike, of course). She just purred along and did whatever was asked.

Hope you enjoyed reading about it. I sure enjoyed telling about it. My friends and family are getting tired of hearing about it. :rolleyes:

oh....my.....gosh! Bryce Canyon and rte 128 are now officially on my Motorcycle Destination list.

Thank you for the great report :)

THANK YOU for this ride report. Much appreciative. Hope and kinda planning to do it in next year or two. Again, congrats on the accomplishment!

Did you track your gas mileage? I am curious what an FJR gets for mileage when touring.

Great report and pix!! That looked like an awesome trip!

Thanks for sharing with us couch potatos. :p I need to get out more... Out of state that is...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've told several that Utah is an awesome place to ride and visit. I've riding about 1/2 of the state and want to go back soon.

Great report.

Dave

2nd part of the report was just as good as the first!! Great job. And what an epic trip.

Thanks for taking us all along.

Stashing away notes for the day when I get to take my dream ride vacation.

What are you running for tires and did you have to replace them along the way?

When you plan your next trip PM me. I would be really interested in doing this.

That looks like it was awesome!! I don't think I have seen one bad picture of the Grand Canyon or Bryce, ever!

You say you have pictures from Nebraska and Iowa? I have lived in Nebraska. There really isn't anything worth taking a picture of out there...

Glad you have fun! Wish I could do it some day too!

08FJR,

I mounted up some new tires about a week before I took off. I didn't replace them until after I got back. They had 11,700 miles on them when I removed them. They have a little more life in them but I wanted a little thicker, grippier tread now that the cooler weather has hit our area.

Here is what they looked like when I took em off: The front is a Storm; rear is a RoadSmart.

IMG_4374.jpg

Hi after reading your descriptions of your trip both out west and back are great. I recently (in June 2022) left from my home near Niagara Falls and headed down to the crossing to Buffalo then west on 90. By the time I reached Erie the heavens opened up and spent the next two days in cold rainy day. Changed my planed route up to Duluth then across west on Hyway 2. After a long trip through mostly bad weather running on interstate roads I made it out to Seattle then up to Vancouver BC. High points where Wyoming through the Titans national forest up to Yellowstone when the weather changed to stormy again! Just couldn't get out off rain and wind storms! after a rainy weeks stay in Vancouver the ride home through Canada was better with less of the wet stuff! I now need to try again maybe next year and pick a number of your routes to improve my memories of long trips to the incredible western states and provinces. Thanks for the two ride reports, made my day reading them.
Mike S.

Latest posts