cobra tuner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrmaineac

Reaction score
:dribble: anybody run cobra fi2000 on 08-09 fjr and how about muzzy header and pipe,new to forum.looking for best mods for money,better throttle response

You'd probably be better off with a Power Commander. I believe Muzzy has a Power Commander map for their full system, but I could be wrong. If not, someone might have a custom map for that setup. The "comparison to the competition" that Cobra provides is quite misleading:

34_image_compare.jpg

Installation and setup: Both are probably installed almost the same way. They want you to believe that the Power Commander requires dyno tuning, while the Cobra is so easy to just install and use. Just like the Power Commander, the Cobra is useless without well-tuned settings. You shouldn't install a Cobra and just randomly adjust it and try to "feel" the difference. So if you have a stock bike, or common modifications, the Power Commander is actually much easier to install and setup. You just acquire the appropriate map and load it onto the Power Commander before installing it (doing so before installation is easier because you can easily bring the Power Commander to your computer; if you have a laptop, it doesn't matter)

Bike/model specific: The Cobra is only bike-specific in its wiring. It doesn't come pre-adjusted for your bike. In this way, it is no different than the Power Commander, except that DynoJet does actually provide bike-specific fuel maps for the Power Commander.

Precision (not in their comparison): The Power Commander has a large table of cells corresponding to various throttle positions and engine RPMs (0%, 2%, 5%, 10%, 20%, 40%, 60%, 80% and 100% throttle positions and increments of 250 RPMs; about 342 distinct adjustments for the FJR), while the Cobra just has 3 distinct adjustments. This bike is fuel injected with deliberate variations in fueling at various throttle/RPM combinations that just cannot be taken into account properly with only 3 adjustment ranges.

Price: I think the difference in price is not much when you consider how much more properly tuned your bike will be with a Power Commander and a proper map.

If you really want perfection, go for one of the self-tuning setups that maintains specific air/fuel ratios for you, using a wide-band O2 sensor in the exhaust (you specify what AFR you want in a table similar to the Power Commander's fuel map). Power Commander V + AutoTune and the Motty AFR Tuner are the options for this.

You'd probably be better off with a Power Commander. I believe Muzzy has a Power Commander map for their full system, but I could be wrong. If not, someone might have a custom map for that setup. The "comparison to the competition" that Cobra provides is quite misleading:
34_image_compare.jpg

Installation and setup: Both are probably installed almost the same way. They want you to believe that the Power Commander requires dyno tuning, while the Cobra is so easy to just install and use. Just like the Power Commander, the Cobra is useless without well-tuned settings. You shouldn't install a Cobra and just randomly adjust it and try to "feel" the difference. So if you have a stock bike, or common modifications, the Power Commander is actually much easier to install and setup. You just acquire the appropriate map and load it onto the Power Commander before installing it (doing so before installation is easier because you can easily bring the Power Commander to your computer; if you have a laptop, it doesn't matter)

Bike/model specific: The Cobra is only bike-specific in its wiring. It doesn't come pre-adjusted for your bike. In this way, it is no different than the Power Commander, except that DynoJet does actually provide bike-specific fuel maps for the Power Commander.

Precision (not in their comparison): The Power Commander has a large table of cells corresponding to various throttle positions and engine RPMs (0%, 2%, 5%, 10%, 20%, 40%, 60%, 80% and 100% throttle positions and increments of 250 RPMs; about 342 distinct adjustments for the FJR), while the Cobra just has 3 distinct adjustments. This bike is fuel injected with deliberate variations in fueling at various throttle/RPM combinations that just cannot be taken into account properly with only 3 adjustment ranges.

Price: I think the difference in price is not much when you consider how much more properly tuned your bike will be with a Power Commander and a proper map.

If you really want perfection, go for one of the self-tuning setups that maintains specific air/fuel ratios for you, using a wide-band O2 sensor in the exhaust (you specify what AFR you want in a table similar to the Power Commander's fuel map). Power Commander V + AutoTune and the Motty AFR Tuner are the options for this.
I have a PC5 with autotune and have been running it for 3-4 weeks now and do not have a need for taking it to a dyno tuner. I am every happy with the setup. My bike is an 07 and took about 2-3 hours to set up. I have trimmed the settings twice now with the second trim being very small. It came with the map for 2 brothers pipes. My setup has holeshot slipons with the cats removed from the header. I think that the PC5 with the tuner is the way to go, you will either spend the money for somebody to tune your bike or let the autotuner do it for you.

thanks strike 3 for the info,very informative,good to have some input from someone that has some real life experiance with parts on there own bike

thanks strike 3 for the info,very informative,good to have some input from someone that has some real life experiance with parts on there own bike
You're welcome for my informative post also.
thanks U P new to forum, gonna take me awile to find my way around, im not very good with computers,better on a bike
Forgot to mention that the pc5 can be had for around 270 from fuelmotousa.com