Cold Weather Riding: Going the Distance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcrides

Reaction score
Bruno, would you recommend a particular cold weather riding suit? mu leather suits are ok as long as the temperature is above 35-40F.

Bruno, would you recommend a particular cold weather riding suit? mu leather suits are ok as long as the temperature is above 35-40F.
Sorry I didn't get back to this post earlier. Seems that I hadn't checked notification on.

Leather is not the best for very cold, but can be made to perform ok. Most important is providing an external wind barrier ie a rain jacket. And then some of the other principles in my cold weather riding tips.

In addition to an outside wind barrier, if you can wear in inside windproof liner, it'll make a huge difference. Of course, heated clothing is a major item if your rides are relatively long. I also make sure that my neck area is well covered. We lose a lot of heat there.

Hope that helps,

Bruno

Montreal, Canada

Gerbing Heated PANT LINER Review

https://pages.videotron.com/mcrides/product...ing/p-liner.htm

:

Bruno, thanks for posting this. Its amazing how just a little oversight can cost you big time in cold wealther.

Our winters don't get as cold as even your autums, but this year I was riding back from Victoria and made wrong turn. It put 2 hours on my trip along the foot hills of the Snowie Mountains. I landed up riding after dark in 7C temps, may be lower. I had the thermols on and the winter lining on my jacked. So I should have been OK. But there was a "gap" between my Jacket and helmet I'd never felt before. It was enough to allow a small stream air to waft over the thurmals at the base of the helmet. Slowly it to sent a hill over my head and down my back. AFter a while I found myself lossing concentration and my reactions became sluggish. Hypothermia? You bet. Despite isometirics, stopping and warming up, chochloate and energy bars... the next two days I felt wiped out and the chill down my back and over my head stayed with me for those two days!

I was just lucky I realised what was happening to me at the time.

p.s. did you ever return to Iron Wood to thank the women that helped you out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Its amazing how just a little oversight can cost you big time in cold wealther.
Sure thing. The colder the weather, the bigger effects small oversights have.

After a while I found myself lossing concentration and my reactions became sluggish.  Hypothermia?  You bet.
It can really sneak up on you.

Despite isometirics, stopping and warming up, chochloate and energy bars... the next two days I felt wiped out and the chill down my back and over my head stayed with me for those two days!
That's when it works down into your bones. :beee:

p.s. did you ever return to Iron Wood to thank the women that helped you out?
I never did go back. But I've been really appreciative of her support.

Bruno

Montreal, Canada

Gerbing Heated PANT LINER Review

https://pages.videotron.com/mcrides/product...ing/p-liner.htm

Last edited by a moderator: