Committed to Purchase My First FJR Today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woohoo! Congratulations on your purchase.

Since Colorado Springs is only about 1200 miles from your house, a nice little "motorcycle shortcut" on the way home will get you to the necessary 7500 miles "at the time of purchase".

Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Since Colorado Springs is only about 1200 miles from your house, a nice little "motorcycle shortcut" on the way home will get you to the necessary 7500 miles "at the time of purchase".
Another key mileage point! And, make sure the bike VIN doesn't blacklisted by Cal DMV or it'll never be able to be registered in Cali.

--G

Congratulations on the purchase of your new ride. I'm sure you'll have a great ride back to the barn!
smile.png

So, for you Cali boys, what's to keep someone from having a bill of sale made out to them (by the previous owner) that exaggerates the miles by a few thousand, make it say 8k miles on it now, at the time of sale?

You know you're going to pass that mark in the first couple of weeks anyway, right? Do they do a visual inspection or ask you to bring it somewhere to be verified or something? :unsure:

So, for you Cali boys, what's to keep someone from having a bill of sale made out to them (by the previous owner) that exaggerates the miles by a few thousand, make it say 8k miles on it now, at the time of sale?
You know you're going to pass that mark in the first couple of weeks anyway, right? Do they do a visual inspection or ask you to bring it somewhere to be verified or something?
unsure.png
All states are now required to put the federally required odometer mileage statement on the title. So if the seller puts down less than 7500 miles you might have some splainin' to do. I hear some people ask the seller to sign the appropriate lines but leave out the mileage to be entered at the appropriate time.
rolleyes.gif
Not that I'm advocating that you understand...

At least in California, the mileage is entered on the 'release of liability' form that the seller sends to dmv. There is no mileage recorded on the pink slip. I guess it's something that could be agreed on...:)

You know you're going to pass that mark in the first couple of weeks anyway, right? Do they do a visual inspection or ask you to bring it somewhere to be verified or something?
unsure.png
Ta register an outta state bike, ya gotta go to the DMV fer an inspection.

OK, thanks. That makes it a little trickier.

I guess the OP could leave the date of transfer blank until he's sure he'll hit the mileage within 2 weeks.

Doesn't California honor temporary plates from other states? If you buy a vehicle in the northeast, for example, you can go to the NH registry with the signed papers and obtain a 21 day temporary plate to get it back to your home state.

There has to be an easy way to skin this cat. ;)

Okay, I picked the bike up today. It is like new and I am very happy. I do want to thank everyone who offered advice, regarding the CA registration hassles. I took the long safe approach and will have it titled and registered in Colorado. I bought from a dealership and they worked with me to make it happen and be 100% legal. At some point in the future, I will retitle and register in CA. That is the way I have done it prevoiusly.

I was going to post a couple pictures, but I guess I don't know how. Maybe someone can steer me through that. Thanks.

I have raised the seat and adjusted the levers, so I think I am good to go now. I spent most of the day at the shop so only got 15 or 20 miles out of town. But, in the morning I will be fresh and ready to roll.

Thanks again everyone,

Richard

Thanks for all the responses, especially yours Art! I registered an older BMW from Texas a while back and kind of know the routine and I do plan on extending the trip back a bit. I will still have a few weeks to accumulate enough miles to get it to 7500. In my research about FJRs, I remember seeing that the "later" ones were 50 state legal and I was thinking this one was. I will check into it, but don't think it is a deal breaker. Richard
When I did this, I asked the seller to leave the odometer certification blank. I filled in over 7500 miles and had just about 7800 miles when I registered the bike about 20 days after buying it in Nevada. That was some fun to put nearly 3000 miles on a bike in December.