Competition is a good thing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice looking bike...............first negative...........chain drive........I'm spoiled with the ease and zero maint. of the shaft.....................

Interesting. Looks like Triumph has addressed some the main shortcomings of the Spring ST.

I'll still take a Tiger any day over the Sprint however.

I really like it. The bags have a cut-off rear end that I'm not nuts about, but it looks clean. The remote rear shock adjuster is a nice touch. The $13,199 price is attractice. The chain doesn't bother me. Once a day or so you spray some lube on it. No biggie -- and changing sprockets allows easy gearing changes to suit your tastes. And the triple sounds sweet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aside from the chain drive, it appears to have addressed all the things I did not like about the Sprint. However, it does weigh 50 pounds less than the FJR, which I'd think would be noticed in the twisty bits. Then again, the tank is about 5.3 gallons, which is enough for me but not for many who buy bikes like our FJR's.

Anyone know what real-world average fuel consumption is for the Sprint? If it's higher than the 34-35 mpg I get on my FJR, the reduced fuel capacity wouldn't be a big deal.

Loved my 2002 Sprint ST 955. and I love my Gen I '05 FJR even more. Though a porker by comparison, the FJR is shaft drive,and my legs are a bit more stretched/relaxed, I also get 225+ miles on a tank; and there's something to be said about the 4-cyl. growl...

Regardless, the Sprint GT is definately a step in the right direction.

Nice looking bike...............first negative...........chain drive........I'm spoiled with the ease and zero maint. of the shaft.....................
After the Pro-Oiler is dialed in correctly, the chain drive becomes zero-maintenance on long, multi-day touring:

TwinNozzle.jpg

Triumph is putting out cool motorcycles. Lack of dealerships is my main concern.

Yup, and I left Triumph when our new dealer shafted me on Triumph accessories, was unwilling to work with me on buying a new ST and performed shady work when I had front forks rebuilt. (they left a shop rag in the tube!).

I had enough of them and went to the FJR. The FJR was my first love anyway...thought it was time to stop playing around and just tie the not. :unsure: