Computer Gurus- a little help...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drew231506

0 Posts Per Day
Reaction score
Any ideas on what this means:

desktop pic

IMG_2657.JPG

forum screen

IMG_2658.JPG

IMG_2659.JPG

Thanks for your help.

-Drew

Drew

Before someone more knowledgeable comes along (uh...that'd be 98% of the Forum population, I guess) it's either your graphics card or your monitor that need looking at/replacing.

Stef

Drew,

Before you replace anything, re-install your video drivers for your video card ,check your cables (check connections for tightness proper seating) (if this is for your desktop), re-seat your video card and if this does not work, a new monitor will probably be in order.

You might also try changing the refresh rate.

Right-click an empty area of the desktop, pick Properties. Go to the Settings tab, the Advanced button, the Adapter tab, then the List all modes button. Pick a different Hertz than the one that's highlighted, but use one with all the other figures the same.

But it's probably time for a monitor.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a computer buddy try switching monitors with him (as long as you KNOW his/hers is a good monitor). If it does the same thing them it's your video card or drivers.

Tom

I don't think it's the monitor (and it is an lcd) only because when I checked the connections I tried unplugging it from the cpu. Once I did that the monitor's screen saver came up it looked fine. (Which may or may not mean it's a monitor problem) I'll try to switch monitors and see though. I am thinking it's the cpu, maybe the video card as some of you suggested.

Drew, If you have a video card that plugs into a slot on the motherboard, take the screw out, remove the card and re-seat it into the motherboard. Sometimes just by moving cables around it will partially un-seat the video card and cause symptoms like yours. If your video cards is built right into the motherboard then you don't have to worry about this issue.

Good luck, switching monitors is the easiest troubleshooting so you are on the right path.

JW

I don't think it's the monitor (and it is an lcd) only because when I checked the connections I tried unplugging it from the cpu. Once I did that the monitor's screen saver came up it looked fine. (Which may or may not mean it's a monitor problem) I'll try to switch monitors and see though. I am thinking it's the cpu, maybe the video card as some of you suggested.
It could still be the monitor, as the monitor's built-in stuff is a different source. If the cable has a broken wire maybe it can't sync correctly. That's what I was trying when I said change the refresh; that changes the scan frequency of the display.

Either the signal from the video card isn't getting into the monitor, the monitor is unable to process that signal, or the signal is corrupted before it gets out of the PC. Swapping monitors will tell you if it's the monitor or not. If the picture is the same with 2 monitors, changing the refresh might help. If not, then the card is bad. If it's a loose card, pull it and reseat it, replace if necessary. If it's a built in system board video system, then maybe you can disable it and install a card in its place, depends on the system board.

Pull your monitor cable off the PC and take a look at the little wire pins in the connector.

You may have one bent out of place that isn't seating into the VGA plug correctly on the PC.

Just somethin' ta check!

You don't have to switch anything to get an idea of what is at fault.

When you first power up your computer and you see the BIOS/Motherboard type (DOS looking) info BEFORE it goes into it's microsoft windows startup, does the screen still have the artifacts or do they only appear after the windows stuff starts to happen?

If it happens as soon as power is applied it's your monitor, if is happens as windows is just gettign started (this is like 15-20 seconds after power up) it's your video cards memory that has faults and it is going to fail soon.

Do a back-up of all important stuff NOW if it's the Video card and your computer is a laptop as you can't copy what you can't see.

If it's a tower/desktop then you (or a good computer geek friend) can replace the video card easy.

Good luck and don't be scared. Use some logic and keep it simple. :)

If it's an LCD monitor the screen is possibly highly reflective, are you wearing a green stripey sweater?

Do you visit many lawn enthusiasts forums?

Other than that I can't help, sorry.