Computer MPG vs Actual MPG

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beamer Reamer

Death Before Disco
Reaction score
Ok. It's not Friday. I did the searches. And I don't actually mind the gleeful snarkiness anyway. Took the bike for a spin around Hood Canal and I rode in a fairly sedate manner, most of the time. I filled up with fuel first thing, on the center stand, to a level that I could eyeball so I could repeat. I reset a trip meter and I reset the Avg MPG on the computer.

I rode almost exactly one tanks worth of gas and refilled near the house. I re-filled on the center stand and eyeballed it to the same level, give or take an ounce. The tripmeter read 216.3 miles elapsed, and I put in 5.351 gallons. This equates to 40.42 MPG. The Avg MPG according to the computer was 49. 3 MPG. I was very pleased during the ride, but I have to believe the calculator is more accurate. The only thing I missed doing was checking the odometer for accuracy against the mile posts.

(Actually the 40 isn't all that bad considering I was riding two-up)

So, all of you posting high 40's in fuel economy (like my bike reports), are you using the calculator or going by the computer?

I only get about 29 miles to the gallon riding 2-up at a high rate of speed. In Oregon I need to do the speed limit and I was getting around 36 but I never really get any higher than that but I also have a tall windsheild and and likely weight more than you.

I'm getting between 195 and 210 miles on 5.1-5.3 gallons per fill, so very similar to your rate. I don't look at the computer's avg, as I learned with my truck that those computers simply can't be trusted. And I'm a computer programmer by trade, so I know of what I speak.

Over the first four tanks of gas that I've put in my FJR - I've noticed the bike computer to be both optimistic and pessimistic in the AVG MPG.

So far, the diffeence has been off by as much as 4 MPG.

I usually rely on my calculator, but I wanted to see just how close the computer was.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've also noticed that both my speedo and my odometer read higher values than those shown on my GPS.

So, who you going to believe when it comes to measuring fuel mileage?

I think the best way would be to obtain a GPS reading of mileage traveled over the course of several fuel tank fill-ups (reducing refill variances) and divide by the total number of gallons bought at those fill-ups.

Or, just ride the thing. And when the low fuel indication starts blinking, find a gas station!

I now have about 35K on my '06 FJR and I never even looked at the milage computer on the dash. If I go the speed limit, :unsure: I do average mid to high 40's MPG by calculator.

I am a very big guy and have the touring windshield. My best mileage is about 45 while driving at somewhat legal speeds. I have gotten mid to high 30's in very high wind conditions and the worst I have ever gotten is low 30 in high wind conditions while very heavily packed for camping. I got 41 the other day while averaging about 90 for most of the tank in a very desolate part of SD. I think this is darn good mileage.

PS this is using a calculator. the trip computer is a little optimistic but not too much on my bike.

I've got 28,000 on my '07 and to tell ya the truth, I've never bothered to do any MPG calculations at all. All I know is I'm safe doing 200 miles on a tank with about 40 or so in reserve.

I average 42 really consistently by calculator. Touring shield, I'm 185lbs, usual luggage and plenty of mixed canyon, city and freeway riding. The computer usually says 43-45, but I never check it anymore after following 10 or so tanks once really carefully.

Ok. It's not Friday. I did the searches. And I don't actually mind the gleeful snarkiness anyway. Took the bike for a spin around Hood Canal and I rode in a fairly sedate manner, most of the time. I filled up with fuel first thing, on the center stand, to a level that I could eyeball so I could repeat. I reset a trip meter and I reset the Avg MPG on the computer.
I rode almost exactly one tanks worth of gas and refilled near the house. I re-filled on the center stand and eyeballed it to the same level, give or take an ounce. The tripmeter read 216.3 miles elapsed, and I put in 5.351 gallons. This equates to 40.42 MPG. The Avg MPG according to the computer was 49. 3 MPG. I was very pleased during the ride, but I have to believe the calculator is more accurate. The only thing I missed doing was checking the odometer for accuracy against the mile posts.

(Actually the 40 isn't all that bad considering I was riding two-up)

So, all of you posting high 40's in fuel economy (like my bike reports), are you using the calculator or going by the computer?
Last time I went around the canal I averaged 43 (calculated) riding 2 up through all the road construction. took about 4 hours to get to olympia (118 miles). Riding back up the coast to Port Angeles I averaged 46 (calculated) over 3.5 hours (238 miles). MPG on the dash showed 46 - 48.

Usually mid 40's by calculator. Normally get the best mileage with a passenger. With all the torque we have the extra weight doesn't matter as much as the twist of the wrist....

Computer says 46-51. When I first got the '06 I thought it was lying so I used a calculator and they agree to within 1 mgp.. I do twist it's tail a lot- the new 020 that was on there when I got the bike is showing cord at 5000k..

Yeah, the computers are all off. I get between 40-45 miles per gallon depending upon speed, traffic, etc. Typical is 42 mpg, computer usually shows 46 average. I think it got it right once but it's close enough, function more of a toy really, IMHO.

Mine seems pretty close. I know i get about 210 miles or so until the low fuel light comes on.

No idea how it's even calculated on the display - but it seems near enough for gov't work!

I know I am know were near expert here since I have only put 1800 miles on my bike so far but this is what I have found. First off I use this bike as a commuter. 99% Freeway with side cases and Givi 52L trunk 100% of the time and a VStream windshield. Also I am 6'4 and 255lbs. This is what I have found. At 80mph I get around 37-38mpg consistantly measured with fillups by calculator and at about 200 miles my low fuel light is on. This past few tanks I tried to keep my speed at 65-70mph and I was getting 42mpg's. Bad part about the last experiment is the FJR does not like to go slow and I hate cars passing me all the time. Guess I will just have to bite the bullet and take the decrease in MPG to keep the smile on my face. I have to admit I am not all the impressed with the FJR's MPG. I went on a ride with my friend who is riding the new Connie and he got better fuel mileage than I did. Not sure how far I can go with my low fuel light on but I think probably best case senario is I can go about 220-230 miles on a tank. Oh ya I also have only ran with Regular Unleaded. Anyone know how far you can go after your low fuel light comes on?

I know I am know were near expert here since I have only put 1800 miles on my bike so far but this is what I have found. First off I use this bike as a commuter. 99% Freeway with side cases and Givi 52L trunk 100% of the time and a VStream windshield. Also I am 6'4 and 255lbs. This is what I have found. At 80mph I get around 37-38mpg consistantly measured with fillups by calculator and at about 200 miles my low fuel light is on. This past few tanks I tried to keep my speed at 65-70mph and I was getting 42mpg's. Bad part about the last experiment is the FJR does not like to go slow and I hate cars passing me all the time. Guess I will just have to bite the bullet and take the decrease in MPG to keep the smile on my face. I have to admit I am not all the impressed with the FJR's MPG. I went on a ride with my friend who is riding the new Connie and he got better fuel mileage than I did. Not sure how far I can go with my low fuel light on but I think probably best case senario is I can go about 220-230 miles on a tank. Oh ya I also have only ran with Regular Unleaded. Anyone know how far you can go after your low fuel light comes on?
I agree with your comments. I have a buddy who rides an RT and that has a bigger gas tank and MUCH better gas mileage.

One thing to consider is that your new FJR is no where near being "broken in", and the milage should improve along with the performance.

My opinion.....