Concourse oil problem caused by Harley Davidson Employees?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I wasn't even thinking like you guys. I figured he let those "squirrelly" guys do a service and they forgot to put the oil back in. Maybe some clarification. The other version is a criminal act, and anyone who owns an $18k motorcycle would call the cops if the bike was actually vandalized. Hmmmmmmmmm...

Last edited by a moderator:
I rode my 2013 to the 2013 Gettysburg bike rally and registration was at the local Harley dealership when we left I nearly was hit attempting to pull back into traffic. I then realized someone had "adjusted" my mirrors for me. I don't get the hatred aimed at we non - Harley riders from time to time but my example is genuine.

For all we know those HD guys could have paid for the new engine and installation. There is just not enough information to go on. All we can do is surmise and make wisecracks.

When I read the original post I made the assumption after the mention of Wisconsin plates and Harley Davidson that the Concours owner being an engineer worked at the Harley factory rather than this taking place at a dealership hence my comment about no trace of oil spillage under his bike. Drain pans at the factory not being so readily available. While I've lived my whole life near York,PA and the final assembly plant for Harley Davidson and have heard some stories of stupid shit going on for riders of Japanese bikes I've never heard anything this drastic or harmful. I do know that during visits by higher ups or in the past like when Reagan visited the owners of the Japanese bikes were under direct order to not ride to work that day or to park in a far removed lot so as to not have their metric bikes in plain sight.

I only personally knew of one instance involving a guy I worked with came out to find his new to him Suzuki Madura had scratched into the gas tank paint "buy a HD!". While I don't condone this nor like it in this case I will tell you that said coworker was an asshole of the first degree and very likely did something to initiate it.Would be interested in hearing more of the back story behind this.

A few weeks ago I was surprised to see a Concourse with Wisconsin plates in the parking lot where I work. I found out it was our new Manufacturing Engineer. We've had a few chats about our bikes and riding, and today I asked him how many miles he had on it. He said 40K and about 25K on the engine. My belief is pretty strong that the FJR's have less problems but I was pretty surprised by the early engine trouble.
He explained there was a lot more to the story. He worked at Harley Davidson and said "those guys were pretty squirrely". I guess so. He started riding home and heard a noise. Unfortunately he was listening to music and didn't notice it quickly. He pulled over and found no oil in the bike. The "squirrelly" guys he worked with had let the oil out and ruined his engine.

What class.
It can happen....

A friend of mine had a brand new KLR650 and his Kawi dealer sent him out dry after his first service. They bought him a new bike

My local Yamaha dealer doesn't own shims. Guys with Vstars pay $600 cdn for a bike wash (EX-mechanic from that dealer is a friend)

Nearby Yamaha/Kawi/KTM dealer is famous for not cracking the case on a valve check; has been caught numerous times by consumers who have taped or otherwise placed something that would need to be moved/removed during that type of service.

Manufacturer/dealer/mechanic bashing? Probably not a good thing to be doing, as metric shops are just as bad, if not worse.

Trust me, I own both

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally got to talk to him this week and got more of the story. First, it was at the HD engine plant in Wisconsin. I don't think it was hatred of his non-HD bike as much as it was hatred of him. He was a contractor that management brought in to put in some equipment in the plant instead of having the local union guys do it.

That gets a lot more believable, but maybe less interesting.

Personally I wouldn't drive a Japanese motorcycle to a Harley factory. Just as I'd be a little leery of driving a Toyota to a GM factory (although I hear the parking lots are filled with all brands these days).

I'm going out to the 115th Anniversary party in Milwaukee with a bunch of Harley guys this year, and I will be very careful where and how long I leave my bike. I've found over the years most of the Harley owners, although proud of their bikes, are very accepting of other brands. I've heard a ton of them give the "it's not what you ride, it's that you ride" speech. However, there are jerks in every crowd, and I'm guessing the large HD party will have more than a few.

I finally got to talk to him this week and got more of the story. First, it was at the HD engine plant in Wisconsin. I don't think it was hatred of his non-HD bike as much as it was hatred of him. He was a contractor that management brought in to put in some equipment in the plant instead of having the local union guys do it.
That gets a lot more believable, but maybe less interesting.
Coming from a very union-strong state this doesn't surprise me; even more so when taking into account HD's deteriorating relationships with the unions.* That contractor probably shouldn't have been surprised either.

* https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/2017/09/12/labor-unions-end-partnership-agreement-harley-davidson/657877001/ and https://www.americanmanufacturing.org/blog/entry/harley-davidson-closing-its-kansas-city-plant-leading-to-800-layoffs

It's a real bitch find good help in pro union states.. I've worked in several where we hires non union help and have seen stuff destroyed, stolen, etc.

My experience with Onions has NEVER been favorable. I'l state just one example. We were rebuilding two woman's clothing stores in Maryland 3 years ago.

I had union guys my brother stood up and hired non union. His guys had some problems with protesters and their stunts but finished on time and about 100 grand under budget.
My onion represented crew had me 2 weeks past the scheduled opening and 180 grand over budget.

The stores were copycats so the only variable was the onion.. I can hire a guy for 20 bucks an hour, get less bitching and double the work than hiring guys who are represented by an entity that only cares about keeping the big cats wallets fat.

Most of the 200 thousand displaced GM workers live within 100 miles from me. I have a hard time feeling bad for 'em.