Corbin Smuggler

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRocket

Doctor Throckenstein !!!
Reaction score
I really like my Corbin Smuggler on my AE. Yes, it's pricey. But I find it VERY handy, and I like the looks of it on the bike as well. Now if the bastage was just leak proof. For those of you who don't know what a Smuggler is:

FJR1300AE_Corbin2.JPG

FJR1300AE_Corbin4.JPG

The smuggler locks down, replacing the back seat. Holds about 2 gallons of stuff. Unfortunately, that includes water if the bike sits in a downpour. There is a gasket around the lip, but the plastic lids all appear to be slightly warped and do not sit tight all the way around against the rubber gasket. I ruined a couple things (papers) in there when the bike sat out during a couple thunderstorms.

In one corner, there was about a 1/16 to 1/8 gap. That doesn't help. The lid resides in a recess that goes around the perimeter of the gasket. Without a tight seal, the water that runs off the lid and down around the perimeter will just run inside the gap and flood the compartment.

My remedy was to just run a bead of clear RTV around the perimeter of the lid. To keep it from sticking, I just used some cling wrap LOOSELY over the rubber gasket. You want the cling wrap LOOSE and wrinkle free. I suppose another method you could use would be to vaseline or use some other type of "separating medium" on the gasket. I like cling wrap.

SmugglerRTVd.jpg

I tried to lay a uniform bead around the lid directly over where I thought the gasket would be. I tried to make it pretty, but RTV is very hard to handle. I didn't do a very good job keeping it nice, but I did keep it inside the lid. Unfortunately, after it cured overnight, there were areas that were still not tightly sealed. I tapped on the perimeter of the lid with it closed, and you could tell that the sound/feel was different where there was a gap. So I put on a second bead of RTV OUTSIDE the first bead. I filled in the "shallows" of the bead, LOOSELY put the cling wrap to place and closed the lid. Just shy of latching completely down.

SmugglerLidSeal.jpg

Yes, the RTV seal is ugly. And when it cures some more, I'll take a razor to it and trim the excess that splooged out the sides. You can really see how the RTV domed up where it rests inside the gasket. Compare the thin parts area on the outside left to the thicker area in the opposite area on the right. I was getting most of the water in on the right side.

Another solution to this problem might be to use a different kind of gasket around the rim of the Smuggler body. A nice closed cell foam piece of weather stripping might work well. It'd be nice to have just about anything closing the gap and keeping out the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the RTV stick to the plastic wrap? how about wax paper?
The RTV does not stick to the cling wrap, nor to the gasket. The cling wrap peals off nice and clean. It's amazing that cling wrap hugs the paint of the Smuggler and stays put, yet not many materials will stick to the cling wrap.

Wax paper would work, too, but the cling wrap is so thin that it conforms to the curvature of the Smuggler gasket, which allows a better seal. That's why I emphasize LOOSE, so that the cling wrap conforms to the shape of the gasket and the RTV gets a bigger/better contact patch.

So let me get this straight. You paid over $600 for that thing, just to goo it up with silicone seal.

I think a phone call to Corbin would've been more effective, no?

You see, having made my own, I can't see Corbin getting away with that kind of BS for the $$$ they're getting.

Just my opinion of course. YMMV.

No.

Not only did I goo up my Smuggler, I installed a cruise control, changed the handlebars, put on a different seat, changed the tires, changed the shocks, changed the springs, the oil, the filters, changed the headlights, and made numerous other changes to the FJR. I also didn't call Yamaha and tell them their motorcycle was a piece of expensive shit thinking I'd get anywhere.

Not only did I goo up my Smuggler, I installed a cruise control, changed the handlebars, put on a different seat, changed the tires, changed the shocks, changed the springs, the oil, the filters, changed the headlights, and made numerous other changes to the FJR. I also didn't call Yamaha and tell them their motorcycle was a piece of expensive shit thinking I'd get anywhere.
Shame on you for customizing your bike the way you want it.... You clearly should have checked with popular opinion first! :D

No.

I just pissed in my pants. What kind of seat is that?

So let me get this straight. You paid over $600 for that thing, just to goo it up with silicone seal.

You see, having made my own, I can't see Corbin getting away with that kind of BS for the $$$ they're getting.

FJRandy,

Do you have any picture of the one you made? I thought the smuggler was a good idea but the $600 price tag seemed high and since I have done some fiber glass work in the past was also thinking of making my own.

No.

I've seen the Smuggler mounted on an FJR and Corbin did a great job in its design. Really enhances the bike's looks, IMO. So much so that it's on my list to buy.

BUT, to make these things without making them watertight is just nuts. But, on the other hand, Corbin does some weird shit.
sparrow.jpg

That thing makes my OEM trunk look like a piece of junk!

VERY NICE! Too bad you're having leaky problems - Like the post above, I'd get in touch with Corbin - they're pretty good with customer service and stand behind their merchandise.

Keep us posted - I'd like to have one of those - if they can solve the water issue.

Looks kool - sleeeeeeeek and fast...

I'm not the only one who has had this problem. The lid(s) is(are) slightly warped. There's no lip or flange under the lid, to conform to the gasket on the bottom. Again, there are probably better ways to seal this up. Perhaps just glue a thin strip of foam insulation under the lid would do the trick, too. I also could have modified the hinge bracket and the latch hasp. But the RTV was just simple, albeit kinda ugly.

I just pissed in my pants. What kind of seat is that?
It's a Corbin saddle. I bought the seat and smuggler at the same time directly from Corbin when they first came out last year. There is VERY little cushion in that thing, but it does conform to my butt nicely. The seat is a bit lower than stock. It puts me down in the bike a little more and although the "thigh area" is a little too wide, I can also get a better foot plant on the ground.

FJRandy,
Do you have any picture of the one you made? I thought the smuggler was a good idea but the $600 price tag seemed high and since I have done some fiber glass work in the past was also thinking of making my own.
FJRandy's smuggler post

Thanks for the write up. Ive seen that contraption on Corbins website and wondered if it was wet proof. Maybe it just needs some duct tape. :hyper:

Thanks for the write up. Ive seen that contraption on Corbins website and wondered if it was wet proof. Maybe it just needs some duct tape. :hyper:
Now I hadn't thought about DUCT TAPE!!!! :blink: Come to think of it, I need to put a small roll of DT in the smuggler just for 'mergencies. :eek:

No.

I'll bet if, your auto clutch quite working, oil started leaking all over the floor, two of your throttle bodies wouldn't open and all of a sudden third gear was gone, you would be on the phone calling Yamaha. Seems like a little different scenario trying to compare adding farkles to doing a jerry-rig fix to a factory flaw.

I agree with FJRandy, you should have called Corbin and let them know what a crummy fit they had on there top. It might help the next guy get what he paid for and may have come up with a more proper fix for you. But then again it is your stuff and your $600.00.

You might do better and I know that it would look better if you would try some type automotive gasket glued to the bottom of the lid.

You might do better and I know that it would look better if you would try some type automotive gasket glued to the bottom of the lid.
How about some cork from an auto parts store and make a gasket - Then again, $600 - the thing should not leak.

Too bad - I really like the looks of this.

Dang, this thread just took the Smuggler off my list. I'll be looking for something that has an overlapping lid. If you countersink a lid it will eventually leak no matter how you seal it.

Well, I guess enough comments have been made regarding leaks-per-dollar spent and I generally agree with them.

But it's about time someone said -- nice job FJRocket. I think that's a good homemade solution that gives you a custom seal. I don't think I'd worry about what the inside of the lid looks like unless you're planning to show the thing off at a concours d'elagance. I mean, the only time it's open is when you're taking stuff out or putting it in.

A smuggler isn't on my farkle list, but I'd still like to hear, somewhere down the road, how this solution worked long term.

+1