Could be Epic

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 22
Another state, now 20.
Nebraska does not appear to allow billboards, so no “sign report”.
Instead -
Riding thru acres and acres of corn and other crops on almost flat plains, so why are there town names like Beaver Crossing and Grand Island?

Found Hell today, its Valentine NE. Very cold winters, very hot summers. The whole town smells like the inside of a cattle hauler. The main drag has been torn up for almost 2 yrs. Some buildings/businesses flooded while the road building is going on. Every house needs paint. Fly’s everywhere. Gas station only has regular gas. This is where you get sent under Witness Protection, if the Marshall Service doesnt like you.

Another crop is sunflowers. Never seen so many in one place. As a crop, they dont grow very high.

Around Kodoka, we are in the badlands. Who knew Nebraska had badlands?
D70309BA-D8BD-443F-A037-06AC6503EFCB.jpeg
In Wall SD for the night, 460 miles today. Started on I80, ended on I90, with a bunch of state highways in between. Note - State 44, “rough road for next 24 miles” they are not joking. Not recommended! Cool in the morning, around 72F as we arrive around 4:30.
Obligatory photo-
733B8031-DC1F-48DD-B0BF-22DFDC4024C5.jpeg

-Steve

Found Hell today, its Valentine NE. Very cold winters, very hot summers. The whole town smells like the inside of a cattle hauler. The main drag has been torn up for almost 2 yrs. Some buildings/businesses flooded while the road building is going on. Every house needs paint. Fly’s everywhere. Gas station only has regular gas. This is where you get sent under Witness Protection, if the Marshall Service doesnt like you.

Thanks. Not going to be able to get this thought out of my mind now.

1664148341254.png

Another crop is sunflowers. Never seen so many in one place. As a crop, they dont grow very high.

-Steve
The sunflowers have been bred down in size for easier mechanical harvest equipment.

And if you can imagine it, Trona, CA. is where you get sent when you flunk out of the witness protection program in Valentine, NE.

“And if you can imagine it, Trona, CA. is where you get sent when you flunk out of the witness protection program in Valentine, NE.”

OK, I was thinking maybe Bombay Beach, but I think you are right, except for the winter/freezing part.
-Steve

Day 23
Short day, the morning are getting cold now, 46F at 8am in Wall, so we waited an hour before leaving. 300 miles to Sheridan WY. No sign of Longmire. 21 states, over 7500 miles so far.

SD appears to allow billboards, so more signs-
Fire truck hung upside down, advertising a pub.
“Worlds Largest Borglum Art Collection” (Google it)
”Working out makes you look better naked, and so does tequila. Pick one”
(Tequila ad)
“Red Ass Rhubarb Wine” (I thought drinking wine got your other cheeks red)
“Crazy Women Creek - Exit 73”

Saw a Wyoming license plate with 3 digits. Another with 4 digits. Do they just keep adding digits until they run out of space on the plate?

Saw a few of these monsters - 16 axle side dump ‘B’ train.3BBB623C-93C6-48C0-8E55-47F203DCFCD9.jpeg

I90 from Wall to Sheridan is a boring road, but nice looking scenery. Lots to look at. Ignore the parts around Gillette. Still visually interesting.

-Steve

Last edited:
Day 24
About 375 miles, another cold(er) morning, mid 40’s @ 8 am.
One more state, total is 22 for the trip.
A few signs -
“Jesus IS alive”
MDOT notes -
EXTREME Fire Hazard - Secure trailer chains.
EXTREME Fire Hazard - Cig butts belong in ashtrays
(just when did cars stop being equipped with ashtrays?)

We are now peeing into the Pacific. Crossed the Continental Divide at Homestake Pass, over 6300’. Also the highest point on I90.
Another day of good scenery.
The last few days are various versions of this -
751633F4-14C5-465D-A573-DF6215D2643B.jpeg

Anaconda MT for the night.
Famous for this-
ED586A3C-53D9-4E49-B323-7CE2D363C583.jpeg
The tallest surviving masonry structure in the world. 585’ total height, 555’ in brick. Part of a copper mine operation.
Here’s another part -
0B8BA0DE-C720-4F18-A351-72F3E5F559A5.jpeg
This slag heap is about 25% of the total. Yes, thats a building on top. 40 million tons. We were told the current plan is to cover the whole thing with 18” of dirt.

Cheapest gas $3.65
-Steve

Day 25
About 400 miles today. Started out about 42F. Break out the Gerbings!
Over 8600 miles total now.
Another day on I90. Not as interesting as the previous two days. Thru the mountain’s near Coeur d’Alene is the best of the ride day.
Some off and on light rain as we neared Moses Lake.
Thats enough for the day.

Close to home now.
I will never need to see another “EXIT NOW - FIREWORKS” sign.
Cheapest gas $3.86
-Steve

Last day
About 265 miles.
The Wildhorse Overlook is always worth the ride thru what is the worst part of I90, after the Snoqualmie Pass.
59E25E97-8E72-44DB-8FEF-22B836FADDEB.jpeg
A little rain, and home again. Back to real life.
8925 miles total, 43 mpg overall.
The Metzler Roadtec HWM’s appear to have held up well.
A70A572D-4B37-4999-BFA8-2276EA8A94AC.jpeg
DDB0E1EE-3E71-4658-8B95-661AC109B40A.jpeg
They had about 100 miles on them before this trip.

Gear review.
I wanted something else to carry things and found this bag.
The 50lt bag is a perfect fit across the back of the seat. You can still access the saddlebag locks and latches.
7AC29287-227D-405F-AD17-64B58AB92963.jpeg
Lots of ways to tie it down. I used one big Rok-Strap and two small ones.
213C047B-2697-4E7C-8EE6-F246B56A56E3.jpeg
The hardest part of using this bag is getting all the air out when closing it up.
Very handy and appears to be high quality. Lifetime warranty.

Thx for riding along with me on this trip.
Stay safe out there, and stay out of Florida.
-Steve