Counteract Motorcycle Balancing Beads

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crostie

Reaction score
Has anyone tried these balancing beads? I just installed these 5,000kms(3,000miles) ago and have had no issues yet...........too early possibly. I would appreciate some feed back from FRJ owners on the pros and cons who have tried these beads. Their claim is to reduce wear and eliminate vibrations.

Cheers, Don 

Has anyone tried these balancing beads? I just installed these 5,000kms(3,000miles) ago and have had no issues yet...........too early possibly. I would appreciate some feed back from FRJ owners on the pros and cons who have tried these beads. Their claim is to reduce wear and eliminate vibrations.

Cheers, Don 
I have been using Dyna Beads for 8 years in three different FJR's. I have only used them in the front tire. I use Ride-On in the  rear tire. I know there are folks here who think bead balancing is a hoax. My experience has been positive for each application. I have spooled my FJR's up to 110mph and experienced no wheel wobble or vibration. I have observed the inside of the tires after up to 14K miles and there has never been any evidence of wear to the inside of the casing. No abrasion to the wheel either. Make sure you carefully avoid getting tire bead lube on the inside of the tire when mounting. I do not like the ugly weights on my wheels. That is why I tried them initially. Can't comment on improved wear since I have been using them from day one. 

Tried them in my '06 tires a long time ago.  Front wheel vibrated like a mother.  Bought a Marc Parnes balancer and put standard weights on and had no issues.  YRMV.
Perhaps it should be known what brand tire was used and how much weight you had to use when you applied standard weights? I have only used Michelin PR tires except on my current 2014 which had Bridgestone tires (OEM) when I purchased the bike new. I removed the wheel weights and applied Dyna beads in the front and Ride-On in rear and never sxperienced any vibration or wobble for the remainder of the tire life. Perhaps I am an anomaly. 

It was about 10 years ago.  I think they may have been Avons, which were on the bike when I bought it.  So initially put another set of Avons on.  I prefer the MIchelins, but I've tried the Angels and a set of Contis.  Can't remember how much weight I used, but it didn't change much over 120K plus miles and multiple sets of tires.

I'm not a technical wizard, but really, how hard is it to balance a tire?  If I can do it, anybody can.  Mine were smooth to an indicated 150 mph (I know, the speedo is optimistic).  Do the wheel weights bother you THAT much? They are pretty hard to see if the bike is moving.

(Sorry, it's a hot button. Too many times people want what's easy, and causes them no work or discomfort. Diet pills, shake weights, having to alter your habits because of a pandemic, wheel balancing, things like that).

You made the photo editing app (that I had open to work on banner picks) intersect with a South Park reference.

It's your fault that I thought of this.

giphy.gif

sw.jpg

The last 3 rear tires I have put on my FJR have not needed any weight. I have the wheels heavy spot marked and install the tires light spot over that. Three in a row have not needed any weight. So, if I threw a handful of beads in there, I'd swear they are working magic.

If beads work so well, just reduce the risk of the beads clumping and put 2 cups of water in the tires. As for me, I'll stick to my balancer and ugly wheel weights. 

As a high school kid I worked for a Goodyear tire shop  in the summers. We put water mixed with calcium chloride in the tractor tires to keep them from freezing in the winters. That was back in Pennsylvania.  
The calcium is still used but it is hell on the wheels. The beet juice doesn't freeze and doesn't rot the wheels.

I went with the Beet juice 5.95 a gallon installed. 
The tractors we had here all used some type of commercial antifreeze, almost like RV stuff.

AND, the water in the tires was for weight and traction, not balance. How fast was Bounce plowing fields that he needed balanced tractor tires? 

The calcium is still used but it is hell on the wheels. The beet juice doesn't freeze and doesn't rot the wheels.
You are correct, the calcium chloride was very corrosive. My experience was in the late 1950's and anti-freeze was considered too expensive for such use. Beet juice? Is that for real or wrencher's vernacular for anti-freeze?   :rolleyes: