Covered Bridges of New Hampshire 2009

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Re-EDITED 9/1/09 10/2/09 - The poll is now closed. The ride will now be on Saturday October 3rd 10th, 2009

Here are some links to the GPS routes that we will follow:

2009 Bridges Tour.gdb (Garmin GDB Ver3 file)

2009 Bridges Tour.gpx (GPS eXchange format file)

2009 Covered Bridges of NH Tour.pdf (route sheet in pdf format)

In addition to the tour route, I have included a little "bonus route" down to Goffstown, NH for those who will be headed south and/or east at the end of the tour route.

Those headed Westward will want to jump on Rte 202 West to 9 West to Keene.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am willing and able to lead the (infamous) Covered Bridges of New Hampshire ride again this year. Last year we procrastinated a bit too long and delayed the ride to 10/19, It was icy cold getting to the starting point in the AM and actually stayed pretty darn cool all day. We were past peak foliage color as well. I scouted the route last year on 10/4 and it was nearly the perfect time to do it. Warmer and great color.

Therefore, I am going to propose that we have the ride on either Oct 3rd, or Oct 4th, (preferred weekend) or Oct 10th or 11th at the very latest. I figured a poll was the best way to see what the best date would be. I am completely flexible about them all at this point, though I would like to know when it will be (soon) so I can block it out in my calendar. The premium choices would be in the first weekend.

This will be a one day, 2-up friendly, scenic ride, starting from the Fiddlehead Cafe in Hancock, NH.
Departure time from the Fiddlehead should be at 10AM
which gives folks enough time to get there from wherever they are coming in from. I'm going to suggest that we get in more bridges this year rather than cutting the route short and visiting the Trebuchet, like we did last year. While the Punkin Chucker is pretty cool to see, they do it most every weekend in the fall, so you can come see it on your own. Or stay overnight before or after the ride and see it on the other day of that weekend.

The full route takes us through (or directly past in a couple of cases) 12 different covered bridges. I can even add a 13th for those headed back to Hancock (but that would be bad luck, right?)

The route is only 140 miles long so stops can be made at any of the bridges (as desired) for photo ops, and we'll take a longish break for lunch at Diamond Pizza in Walpole, NH about 1/2 way through. The second half of the ride, bagging the 2nd 6 bridges will include some smooth, hardpacked dirt road riding (you reading this Micheal?) and will end at the last bridge in Hopkinton, NH. From there, people can boogie on home or split into their own smaller groups to explore further as desired.

For those not attending previously, here are some threads about past years (
with pitchers!
):

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=1113092008 CB of NH ride
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=111309

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=265412007 CB of NH ride
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=26541

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm up for more bridges and fewer Trebuchets. We would choose either weekend day at the beginning of October.

Last weekend the County Bridge over the Contoocook River in Greenfield was under construction. The road between Greenfield and the bridge earns a C-. No pot holes but it is rough as heck. The road that accesses the bridge from Rt 202 and Greenfield has temporary traffic lights to accommodate one lane traffic. Hopefully they will be finished with the work before our ride.

A few reminders of what we saw after peak color last fall:

IMG_0320b.jpg

IMG_0348a.jpg

IMG_0372-1.jpg

IMG_0385a.jpg

IMG_0401-1.jpg

IMG_0409-1.jpg

IMG_0448-1.jpg

IMG_0456a.jpg

IMG_7139-1.jpg

Looking forward to this year's Covered Bridges Ride!

I'm up for more bridges and fewer Trebuchets. We would choose either weekend day at the beginning of October.
Last weekend the County Bridge over the Contoocook River in Greenfield was under construction. The road between Greenfield and the bridge earns a C-. No pot holes but it is rough as heck. The road that accesses the bridge from Rt 202 and Greenfield has temporary traffic lights to accommodate one lane traffic. Hopefully they will be finished with the work before our ride.
+1

I just got back from a little recon mission in that area. I had a dual purpose as I also made it a shake-down for the newly tuned-up Trumpet. She ran quite good. :) One thing about the Trophy's suspension being so (touring) soft ( not sport touring) it sure makes the raggedy back roads of New Hampshire far more bearable... ;) Almost like when I was riding the dual sport Pegaso over the same roads. Bump? What bumps? :unsure:

But you're right, Alan, I went over Forest Rd and County bridge and that stretch of road is pretty fargen rough. Luckily it's short and not on the (actual) route.

But here, my friends, is the really good news! The bottom half of Rt 137 is being repaved! :yahoo: I actually cut that segment out from the ride last year because is was so rough. But they have repaved it from Jaffrey on up about half of the way to Rt 101 and it appears to be an active work project, so hopefully they will continue on up all the way to Hancock before our ride. In any case, that section is definitely back in! :yahoo:

Thanks for the bait pictures Alan. I knew you and Helen took some of your typically stellar photos last year, but couldn't readily find them in the ride reports. But the color will be even better this year... I just know it!!

Sounds like another fun weekend with even better pics. You guys do such a great job with the pics I dont even need a camera, I will just wait for the posts. I think either day on the first weekend would be best for the scenery, and besides I may be heading out west the weekend after. B) I hope you dont scare mike away with the rough dirt roads, but then again, then I can get a room with a massage chair. lol.

I'm in, it really was a great ride last year (I don't mind the cold) and hope to see the second set of bridges this year. Thanks for setting this up gain Fred.

Peter (BostonBoy), that's excellent news. I was wondering just last weekend if you were still around on the forum. Glad that you are and that you'll be joining us again.

And George (Taz), the unpaved roads we ride on will be no rougher going than the one we rode on in the "Whites" ride. Smooth sailing... ;)

But it rises up along a ridgeline that gives some spectacular views of the countryside. Also, the start point being in Hancock is (unfortunately) not real convenient to West Lebanon and the Fireside Inn, so not much chance that you'll score a massage chair. There are some links to local hotels in the post from last year (link in post#1 above). I have never stayed in either of them, so can't vouch for them personally.

As I mentioned in another thread, it rained a bit yesterday (yet again). Here is what one road (Rt 136) looks like in Greenfield:

20519042_640X480.jpg

Other roads in Peterborough, Westmoreland, Dublin, Hinsdale, and Jaffrey suffered damage too.

Alan,

I saw the news reports too. Funny thing is, those are the very same roads I was riding on that same day (Saturday) on my recon mission. The heavy rain didn't start until I was headed home. I got soaked in Wiltona and on through Milford and then it let up. (Of course my rain gear was in the bags on the other bike). I have a feeling that mess was on a very limited section of Rte 136 down by the Contoocook river.

Today, Joann and I shot out to scout the 2nd half of the ride, from the lunch stop on. Since this is the part with all the non-paved sections, I expected to see devastation. Everything looked fine other than a greater than normal amount of gravel wash from a few places where dirt roads abut the paved ones.

We did find that sometime in the past year they have paved several of the dirt roads and a couple of the rougher paved ones. This ride is looking to be better all the time.

Peter (BostonBoy), that's excellent news. I was wondering just last weekend if you were still around on the forum. Glad that you are and that you'll be joining us again.
And George (Taz), the unpaved roads we ride on will be no rougher going than the one we rode on in the "Whites" ride. Smooth sailing... ;)

But it rises up along a ridgeline that gives some spectacular views of the countryside. Also, the start point being in Hancock is (unfortunately) not real convenient to West Lebanon and the Fireside Inn, so not much chance that you'll score a massage chair. There are some links to local hotels in the post from last year (link in post#1 above). I have never stayed in either of them, so can't vouch for them personally.

I am not worried about the route I am sure you will come up with an excellent ride. I will bring mike into some of the fire roads of the local park for training ;) . It depends on the day of the ride and work schedule for that week if I will even need a hotel or just make it a day ride. If I do stay I would just stay wherever I end up at days end.

Good to see the old "Covered Bridges" ride is still going strong. FYI, accessing the Waterloo covered bridge in Warner via Melvin Mills and Newmarket roads is now freshly paved. No more short dirt section. Still bumpy in the Melvin Mills section but going slowly makes it worth it.

Earlier on the calendar is always a better choice for peak foliage.

IMG_3353.jpg

IMG_3279.jpg

Hey Skip,

Yeah, I scouted out the second half of the ride yesterday with Joann. We managed to dodge all of the thunderheads and didn't get hit with a single drop!!

I was really surprised to see the fresh pavement in that section. Kind'a neat, though it's way too tight to go fast through anyway.

Too bad that 123A is such a mess. It's such a windy twisty road, put the pavement is all cracked up and actually has grass growing up through it in some section! :blink: But Rte 10 is recently repaved from Marlow on up quite a ways. That's some nice high speed sweepers now.

The route I have still has a couple of short dirt stretches in it, one in Langdon up Walker Hill and then Winch Hill Roads to get to the McDermitt bridge (drive-by), and then a second section later on after the Dalton Bridge, down West Joppa to Parade Ground Cemetary Rd. Hey! We've got get these Feejers their quotient of dirt riding, right?

Actually, that section up in Langdon is very scenic in the fall.

Here we go with the dirt roads!!! Dam!!! lol...lol.. George will just have to give me some training!! lol...lol... this ride sounds like it will be awesome!!! Im in!!!

I love it a little cooler, and im betting the october weather will be perfect!! Heated vest will be packed with me!! :yahoo:

Looking forward to this one.... Im thinking we do a one night sleepover geroge... get up super ealry sat am and go to a hotel wherever we are at the end of the day, then ride home sunday. what do you think?

Good times!!

Oh and im not riding on this road!!!! I dont care what you bad asses say!!! LOL.... :assassin:

As I mentioned in another thread, it rained a bit yesterday (yet again). Here is what one road (Rt 136) looks like in Greenfield:

Couldn't make the White/Green Mtn. run because of work schedule,if this one hits it right I'll be there. Sounds like a nice ride. :yahoo:

Latest posts