Covered Bridges of New Hampshire 2009

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picking up where we left off...

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

Crossing the major east west road across the state, Rt 9.

54.jpg

And then up along Spofford Lake.

55.jpg

56.jpg

The locals were putting their boats away for the winter.

57.jpg

58.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg

Another wrong turn had us reversing direction yet again. Hey, who's leading this ride anyway?

61.jpg

62.jpg

I think Dan forgot his FJR is not a dirt bike as his rear tire got stuck in a ditch while trying to get turned around.

63.jpg

Another chance for a "photo op" LOL!

64.jpg

66.jpg

I think Alan forgot someone. :rolleyes:

67.jpg

And back down to Rt 12 where we just gave up trying to find the road we were looking for and "bee lined" it to the local pizza place in Walpole.

68.jpg

69.jpg

70.jpg

71.jpg

Pulling into the parking lot of the pizza place and having a quick chat before lunch. At this point I left so I'll let others finish the photo documentary. It was a cold windy wet ride home for me until I got to Warner when the sun finally came back out. Hope it was better for you guys. Great ride Fred, really. See you next year. Hey Geezer, we missed you!

72.jpg

73.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh my gawd, Skip! Great pictures and even better commentary!!

I guess nobody will EVER want to take this ride again!! :lol:

But think of all the fine trials riding skillz attained thru practicing tight 180's today!!

Seriously, my apologies to all. I did scout the ride only 4-5 weeks ago and the road after the Coombs bridge was open then.

I probably shouldn't have tried to wing it to get us back on course later, which resulted in the second dead end.

But I must take full responsibility for the third, and most treacherous flip flop, on the side of the hill, as I had not been able to scout that road before adding it to the the route.

You'll be happy to note, Skip, that there was nary a 180 made after lunch... :blink:

Still, WTF is with all the closed bridges and roads in NH?

I'm really glad we were able to pull this ride off.

All things considered, the weather could'a been better, but it could'a been worse.

However, we couldn't have had a better group. Thanks for coming along everyone. Now just waiting to see all the other great pictures.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh my gawd, Skip! Great pictures and even better commentary!!

I guess nobody will EVER want to take this ride again!! :lol:

But think of all the fine trials riding skillz attained thru practicing tight 180's today!!

Seriously, my apologies to all. I did scout the ride only 4-5 weeks ago and the road after the Coombs bridge was open then.

I probably shouldn't have tried to wing it to get us back on course later, which resulted in the second dead end.

But I must take full responsibility for the third, and most treacherous flip flop, on the side of the hill, as I had not been able to scout that road before adding it to the the route.

You'll be happy to note, Skip, that there was nary a 180 made after lunch... :blink:

Still, WTF is with all the closed bridges and roads in NH?

I'm really glad we were able to pull this ride off.

All things considered, the weather could'a been better, but it could'a been worse.

However, we couldn't have had a better group. Thanks for coming along everyone. Now just waiting to see all the other great pictures.

First I would like to thank Fred for putting together a great ride and letting me participate with my X cruiser. I am glad you were 2up with Joann, because I would not have been able

To keep up with the group other wise. Skating, a 750lb cruiser thru wet turns with Dunlap tires (10mph over)is exhilarating to say the least. I would also like to thank everyone on the ride for making

Me feel welcome. I would like to say I felt very safe riding with the group and had a great time. I think if the roads are dry and everyone is 2up I can keep up with you guys. Just watching

The FJR ‘S go thru the turns makes me want to get one. Thanks everyone had a great day. Carl

As usual Captain Fred led us on another NH adventure ride. Never a dull moment and I have my 180's down pretty good now. :D Well door to door was 403 miles and 13.5 hrs. of some great riding fun today. Well except for going through Boston on the way home. It was nice meeting everyone again and seeing Chris being able to get back on his Feejer after a long summer drought. Well its late so I will only post a few pic's for now.

Thanks for all those who scouted and Fred for putting on this ride.

My best pic I think?

And of course it wouldn't be one of FredW rides without some dirt goat trails included.

Oh and this one is for you Bust! :eek: She must have got away from ya.

Thanks for a great day all.

Linky to more pic's.

https://rides.webshots.com/album/575054170OAUSHD

First I would like to thank Fred for putting together a great ride and letting me participate with my X cruiser. I am glad you were 2up with Joann, because I would not have been ableTo keep up with the group other wise. Skating, a 750lb cruiser thru wet turns with Dunlap tires (10mph over)is exhilarating to say the least. I would also like to thank everyone on the ride for making

Me feel welcome. I would like to say I felt very safe riding with the group and had a great time. I think if the roads are dry and everyone is 2up I can keep up with you guys. Just watching

The FJR ‘S go thru the turns makes me want to get one. Thanks everyone had a great day. Carl

Carl,

I'm really glad that you made it and especially so that you had fun. In my mind, that's what it's all about!

Yea, I like to ride about 10 over in group rides, because that's what most people can handle comfortably 2-up, wet or dry. There were a few spots today that were slippery with wet pine needles or leaves that made things tense, but not many.

So, go out and get that new (to you) FJR that (you know) you want.

And just keep the cruiser for those warm summer nights. ;)

Look forward to seein' ya' next time, whatever you're riding...

You know you want to... ;)

First I would like to thank Fred for putting together a great ride and letting me participate with my X cruiser. I am glad you were 2up with Joann, because I would not have been ableTo keep up with the group other wise. Skating, a 750lb cruiser thru wet turns with Dunlap tires (10mph over)is exhilarating to say the least. I would also like to thank everyone on the ride for making

The FJR 'S go thru the turns makes me want to get one. Thanks everyone had a great day. Carl

Carl,

I'm really glad that you made it and especially so that you had fun. In my mind, that's what it's all about!

Yea, I like to ride about 10 over in group rides, because that's what most people can handle comfortably 2-up, wet or dry. There were a few spots today that were slippery with wet pine needles or leaves that made things tense, but not many.

I will keep trying to twist his arm and convert him from the dark side. ;)

Really good day, even with less than ideal weather. Thanks Fred, for leading. Thanks everyone for coming and adding to the day. Especially, thanks Grace, for pushing me out of the ditch.

Dan

Well, for better or worse, that one's in the books. I was really hoping for clearer day for the ride, but the way the New England weather has been this year I should have known better. I'm really sorry about the U-turns. Dan, I had no idea about your little trip into the ditch. Nobody mentioned it when we stopped. I guess I should have found us a better spot to make the U-turn. I promise to scout out that section a little better before next year. ;)

This picture sort of sums up the day. Great foliage, but a gloomy, gray day for the most part.

2702758720098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

2176678580098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

Our ride pictures

I do hope everyone enjoyed themselves. I know Joann and I certainly did!

What a great group of people to spend the day with... See you all again real soon.

The FJR 'S go thru the turns makes me want to get one. Thanks everyone had a great day. Carl

Carl,

I will keep trying to twist his arm and convert him from the dark side. ;)
I've got a cheap one for sale so he can have both! :rolleyes:

Quote: Fred

Dan, I had no idea about your little trip into the ditch. Nobody mentioned it when we stopped. I guess I should have found us a better spot to make the U-turn. I promise to scout out that section a little better before next year. ;)

Fred.

Any fool can ride a motorcycle directly into a ditch. It takes a very accomplished fool to back one in. None the less, it was a fine day with a fine group of people.

Dan

What a great time!! :yahoo: I just rolled in about a 1/2 hour ago after meandering my way across MA and CT all afternoon. Fred was the perfect ride leader and this is one that I'm definitely putting on the calender for next year. It was really good meeting some new folks and getting reaquainted with some old riding buddies. I rode a number of miles behind Carl and he was more than adept at throwing that cruiser into the turns without a problem. Put a larger gas tank on that sucker and you'll have something :rolleyes: . I can only imagine what he will look like next year after he buys George's semi retired FJR.

Skip, great pictures and write up! It was nice to finally meet you and I'm sorry you had to break away early. I'll make sure to send you the bill for the damage that your strobing brake light did to my newly installed vision corrector.

Thanks to everybody who participated.....its good to be back in the saddle again. In order to not shame myself, I will not be posting any photographs.

Great photos. Wish I could have made it but I had family commitments and my back is not getting better as I hoped it would. Oh well, maybe next year.

Tom

Thanks to all for posting the pics.. I did see the notice but could not join this year (still nursing a knee surgery) - but hope to try for next year one and meet some of you!

Regards, Luis

We spent Saturday night in Concord and then wandered home on Sunday. It was a little blustery, but we had a nice ride back.

Here are a few of the pictures Grace took along the way. (She must have had her finger on the shutter constantly. She actually took almost 900 pictures in two days.) :blink:

First, here's the parade of Bridges. (Not all of them are great pictures, but I think this is all of them)

Bridge #1

DSC_7967.jpg

Bridge #2

DSC_7969.jpg

Bridge #3

DSC_7994.jpg

Bridge #4

DSC_8002.jpg

Bridge #5

DSC_8012.jpg

Bridge #6

DSC_8087.jpg

Bridge #7

DSC_8268.jpg

Bridge #8

DSC_8328.jpg

Bridge #9

DSC_8468.jpg

Bridge #10

DSC_8497.jpg

Bridge #10 from the side

DSC_8529.jpg

Bridge #11

DSC_8564.jpg

Bridge #12

DSC_8573.jpg

Here are a few other pictures from the ride (and our ride home on Sunday).

DSC_8206.jpg

DSC_8282.jpg

DSC_8540.jpg

DS3_8402.jpg

DSC_8816.jpg

DSC_8852.jpg

Fred, Thank you for organizing this year's ride. Grace and I had a great time and are definitely looking forward to next year's ride.

Ed.

Julie & I just got home - 12 hours almost exactly from when we left this morning.We both had a great time today!

As promised, I'll start with our group photo:

3999624490_099e60ea86_b.jpg

CLICK HERE FOR FULL RESOLUTION

More to follow - although prob. in the morning after I've eaten and thawed out.
Great pic! How 'bout identifying everyone so we can put a face to the handle.

3999624490_099e60ea86_b.jpg

Great pic! How 'bout identifying everyone so we can put a face to the handle.
L to R:

Joann & Fred = Fred W; Skip = Nice Rumble; Alan = ionbeam; Dan = BkrK12; Ed = FJRed & Grace; Front in black - John = jmarran and Julie; back in gray - Chris = Axeman; back in dayglow - George = Cota95 & front - Marsha; Dave = 08FJR4ME & Ann; Carl = zig37 (Alan's wife Helen missed the photo shoot)

Great pics!

Wow, it looks like we missed a really good time.

I wish we could have been there too. Oh well, maybe next year.

With a little help from Photoshop we can fit you and Jim in. LOL! (Alan?) Missed you Iris...

After looking at the older pic I can see we actually had a larger group 2 years ago. See Iris, if you and Jim had joined us we would have matched our previous rider count. LOL!

1462685409_585e44513d_b.jpg