Cracked top box.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrpro

Reaction score
Hello all I was cleaning my baby 06 FJR abs when I removed my top box to inspect the base. I found that its starting to crack. The crack is near the base of the latch tongue. I have some pic's but I am away from home and will post in a week or so. I had the recall done on the top box and I have traveled 19k miles with the box on the bike. I have the extended warranty till 7-2011 so I will be stopping by local dealer to see about getting a new box...anyone ever get a new top box or side bag under warranty......do the locks switch out to new units to keep the same key??? :angry:

Yes, the lock will be easily transferable between your old and replacement top box. The side case locks are identical to the one used in the top box as well.

OK I loaded pix.....
topboxcrackfjr.jpg
fjr2006ABStopboxcrack.jpg

Yup, lock is easy to transfer. And I would think the box is covered under warranty because it's not a "wear" item like tires or brakes. The only consideration would be whether you "abused" the box by loading it with more than the Yamaha allowed weight (a very low value if I remember correctly). Might want to Google and find the allowable weight so that you can tell the dealer that you never had more than X pounds in the trunk.

added on edit:

Looks like the official capacity is 11 pounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
FJRPro, Your pictures look just like mine which I discovered yesterday when cleaning my '09 with 10K miles. I've had the bike with topbox for 14 months and it appears that the problem happened this weekend. I've kept a close eye on that area and had seen no damage until then. I contacted a dealer that is close to me and they'd contacted Yamaha about the issue. As best I understand, Yamaha indicated that it was a Quality Assurance problem and had to be handled by the dealer from which I purchased the topbox (and bike). So I've contacted the selling dealer describing the problem with pictures. I'm awaiting instructions from them. Hope I hear back soon. By the way, they are about 10 miles further away than the dealer I saw today.

Did you get resolution t yours?

Ok here is the latest. Dealer took some pix an called Yamaha Usa........and parts on order new box on it's way!!!!

Glad you are making headway. My dealer is working with Yamaha to resolve mine. Should know sometime this week. In the mean time, I've strapped the release handle to the mounting base to keep from doing any more damage and to ensure that it does not come off.

I did, however, closely and carefully examine the base of the box and it appears that the sticky tape used to secure the metel plate to the box has deteriorated although not completely. I wonder if anyone has split the lower case apart? I'd like to know if there are any moving parts in the inside horizontal area at the bottom of that outside shell.

CSquared.......Get on that dealer,it should not take a week to get a yes or no from Yamaha. I brought my bike in an had a result in 18 hrs!!!!!

After reading this thread, I went and checked my top box and, sure enough, exact same crack as shown in above pictures. Dang it!!

Over lunch I went over the the closest dealer and dropped off the box with the service guys for them to look at. They are supposed to be contacting Mama and letting me know what they find out.

Given the price of the box, this is not aceptable in my eyes. I wonder if they got a "bad batch" or something? :angry2: :glare:

After a few weeks I now have the top box and it looks great. I am posting pictures of the lock base.... seems they have not changed anything but the box does seem to fit better....not so much fore an aft flexing.
newtopbox.jpg
topboxnew.jpg