Cutting out at high rpm

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wetwolf

Reaction score
05 FJR, 85,000 on the clock.Over 100 mph and whackin the throttle on to pass a prius. The CEL comes on and it goes into limp mode for a couple seconds. When I back off the throttle it behaves just great until I have to really into the throttle again.

It has been doing this for the past 2 years, I have tried different brands of guzzilene to no avail. When I check the code, it is always 16. Thats TPS,, barometric pressure and intake man pressure. They are all on the same circuit. There is nothing wrong with the wiring or connectors. Been over that multiple times. The TPS sweep shows perfect response at all throttle angles. The baro shows what I'm reading at this altitude, the intake pressure sensor drops when cranking just like it should.

This only happens when under heavy load at high rpm. I'm kinda leaning toward fuel pump as it seems to be maybe a fuel delivery issue. I can put an inline pressure gauge that runs up to the dash, but then i would not be watching the road. Not gonna happen.

Any thoughts? Anybody run up against this problem?

I don't believe for one second that Priuses (Priusi?) can go anywhere near 100 mph.
Interwebs says 112 mph...

Fuel delivery is quite possible which could be pump, pressure regulator or an issue with one or more injectors.  Might be an idea to have injectors cleaned and flow tested.  Pickup screen on fuel pump clean?

I would check out spark plugs as well...

Good luck.