Dam Chasing in WA & MT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mount Rainier

Reaction score
I just round tripped Kent, WA to Polson, MT via Spokane, Missoula, Lolo Lolo Pass, Lewiston/Clarkston and Chinook Pass on Friday and Saturday and got 50.6 mpg. I haven't gotten that kind of mileage since before the ECU replacement.

Dam chasing to Nine Mile and Kerr Dams and I visited a couple additional dams along the way. damtour.com It was a flawless, beautiful ride but for some major road construction. Be warned that MT 200 between Ravalli and Nagos, north of Missoula and US-12 west of Lolo Lolo Pass will be torn-up for some time with delays and lane closers. I'm told the Lolo Lolo pass road work will continue into 2010.

To add a little excitement to the 4:30 a.m. start from Missoula, there were a couple pre-dawn of moose sightings along the road west of the Lolo Lolo summit. :blink: These things should be made to wear reflective vests Darn-it! :clapping: Geez they're BIG........

As for the favorite road of the trip. The stretch of US-12 between Orofino and Lewiston ID. It was Two Wheeling at it's best. At least that day. :yahoo: Great time for sure.

Route Here

Early Start

P8210177.JPG

Long Lake Dam north of Reardon, WA

P8210206.JPG

Nine Mile Dam north of Spokane

P8210208.JPG

Seat Mod?

P8210211.JPG

Still waiting for those Stimulus Funds BO........

P8210213.JPG

"GPS, We don't need no stinking GPS."

P8210228.JPG

Dam Tour mandatory photo at Kerr Dam

P8210215.JPG

Kerr Dam form view point beyond the signs above.

P8210218.JPG

P8210221.JPG

Downstream from Kerr Dam.

P8210219.JPG

P8220232.JPG

Keep Going! The best is yet to come.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the total count is up there a bit. Dam Tour has been a very positive experience in that it has given me a target to shoot for in terms of riding destinations and provided critical info to assist in planning and learning the little tips and details that are helpful in going right to the dam in lieu of finding a sign, but not quite finding the dam itself, as strange as that sounds.

Being a Dam Tour Rookie, I signed up in April and I've visited the 20 2009 dams, 8 in WA, 8 in OR, 2 in Mt & 2 in CA. Still with plenty of time and momentum, I have now visited 15 previous years dams and scouted out 2 possible dams for future consideration by the folks at Dam Tour 09. So that would be 37 total. That even surprises me just a bit. :rolleyes:

Many of the dams are truly magnificent structures and provide significantly in terms of our enjoyment and way of life. Others are striking in there simplicity and also provide necessary services and needs for those locally. Some are slated for removal and that itself makes the visit meaningful.

In the end though, "It's Really About the Ride........" The added adventure is a plus of course. I am leaving Wed. morning to pick up the remaining 2008 dams (7) in OR, NV, and ID. That will be approx. 2,332 miles and I hope to be home late Friday or very early Sat. morning.

No matter whether it's two dams or twenty, because you like to ride, and I know you do because you pilot this very fine machine, you'd love the dam chasing experience.

"I know I do." :yahoo:

Keep Going!

Fishhawk Dam, OR

fishhawk_9167.jpg

Rainbow Falls Dam, MT.

rainbow_9167.jpg

Wooden Penstocks at John Hart Dam, BC constructed in the 40s. Oh My!!!!!

P8150171.JPG

P8150173.JPG

P8150172.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: