Damper Rod Adjusting Nut Distance? Fork Oil Level?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Nardy

Reaction score
I'm in the process of changing my fork oil and have a question about a spec in the service manual. In the chassis specs section under front suspension there is an entry that says 'Damper rod adjusting nut distance'. The spec is 12mm (0.47"). However, there is no mention of this in the disassembly/assembly instructions. Does anyone know what this spec refers to? Distance from the top of the threaded rod? Is the measurement to the top or bottom of the nut? My guess would be from the top of the threaded rod to the top of the nut but I'd appreciate if anyone could clarify this for me.

Also, the service manual spec for fork oil level is 100mm from the top of the inner tube, inner tube fully compressed, without fork spring. I have seen discussions here saying 70mm to 90mm. Without trying to start a heated debate, what's a good level for my riding conditions? I'm 225 pounds, ride mostly two-up with my 125 pound wife, often fully loaded, and ride fairly aggressively (occasional peg scraper). I'm running stock fork springs and prefer a stiffer ride as opposed to a softer ride.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I cant help ya on the specifics of the damper rod measurement.

But for the fork oil level...

If you decrease the distance measurement level(add more oil), it will decrease the amount of air in the fork. This will make the fork have more resistance in the bottom third of its stroke. Considering the weight you carry and the sometimes aggressive riding you mention...it might be a good idea for ya.

I recently changed my fork oil and increased the level by 1 inch to 75mm.

Since I have spent a couple days playing pretty hard in the Arkansas twisties and I did not feel any harshness in the stroke.

screw the damper rod all the way into the cap by hand, then tighten the jam nut. I think you're trying to over think things.

As far as the level goes, I just run at stock settings.